• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

tweak the battle system

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • the battle mechanics are pretty set in stone but if you could change them, would you? anything from small mechanical tweaks to massive changes like making the game not turn based

i'd love a game where you actually had to worry about your physical location on the battlefield - pokemon aren't just fixed in place and you can actually move them around. strong attacks could knock foes farther away, special attacks could become long-range moves, and physical attacks could be buffed to make up for the fact that you have to get in close to use them. it would still be turn based, just have an increased emphasis on movement rather than just attacking.

Years
  • I want the environment to actually influence battles! For example, you can't use Pokémon that can't surf/swim in water, and thus wouldn't be permitted to proceed or battle once you get to an area like that unless you had the proper Pokémon with you. And locations should also influence certain moves and types. Electric moves should power up and have more accuracy in a power plant, for example, and moves like Frenzy Plant could be stronger when used in a forest/area with more trees, brushes, etc.

gammy13

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2019
    Michael Damiani of Easy Allies mentioned that (his inside sources claimed) Game Freak is revamping the battle system for Pokemon Switch. With the success of Zelda:BotW and Mario Odyssey, there's pressure for Game Freak to rethink traditional mechanics.

The one aspect of the Pokemon games I've had a love-hate relationship is the battle system. Either it has over-stayed its welcome or it needs major tweaking. At this point, I think it's hurting the series.

Pokemon has been a hand-held game. The graphics and power of hand-held consoles meant Pokemon could only focus around a couple mechanics. Battling is the most prominent mechanic. You battle to progress the story, battle to catch Pokemon, battle to clear paths and battle to evolve Pokemon. This gets boring and tiring now. Although I will endure breeding to get great EVs / IVs for battles in post-game, my girlfriend will put the game away once the story is over. Battling isn't fun for her because she's there for the Pokemon, not for fighting. She will use cheats on retro Pokemon ROMs to skip battles. Since Pokemon has an enormous audience, I imagine many casual players would be happy to skip battles if they got the chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

gammy13

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2019
    I want the environment to actually influence battles! For example, you can't use Pokémon that can't surf/swim in water, and thus wouldn't be permitted to proceed or battle once you get to an area like that unless you had the proper Pokémon with you. And locations should also influence certain moves and types. Electric moves should power up and have more accuracy in a power plant, for example, and moves like Frenzy Plant could be stronger when used in a forest/area with more trees, brushes, etc.

agreed!!

Years
    • Seen today
    I would like a difficulty system. This could include making the A.I more intelligent in battles (Such as having them switch out more) or giving them better movesets.

While I can't think of any mechanical changes, this is what I would like most.

Last edited:
    Back