• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: FireRed Dexnav

Blah

Free supporter
Years
  • I made a Dexnav something

Hey it's been a while since I posted any public resources. Recently, I completed my implementation of a Dexnav feature originally from CommHack (rip). Hopefully people like it/want to use it.
    Source Code is available for modification and download at: https://github.com/EternalCode/Dexnav

grass

water
    https://streamable.com/jmb0

Important notes

This repository also implements Hidden abilities and repoints the Pokemon Base Stats table! For your tools to be compatible with the moving of the BST table, please refer to the output.txt created post compilation. It will have a long list of symbol names, you want to look for "gbasestats".

Additionally, variable 0x408B is reserved for the select button mechanic. A save block hack is also needed.
    See:
    https://github.com/EternalCode/Dexnav/blob/master/src/dexnav/HUD/dexnav_hud.h#L14
    https://github.com/EternalCode/Dexnav/blob/master/src/dexnav/HUD/dexnav_hud.h#L15

Customization

1) To customize the Base Stat table/hidden abilities edit ".hidden_ability" in https://github.com/EternalCode/Dexnav/blob/master/src/pokemon_base_stats.c

2) If there are more things you want to customize, ask in the thread and I'll update this section

Installation + Setup

To set up follow: https://github.com/EternalCode/Dexnav/blob/master/README.md
    I've attached an UPS file. Only use that if you haven't expanded your Pokemon already. It should be inserted consuming addresses 0x09800000 in the expanded part of the ROM.

Credits

https://github.com/Touched project structure
    https://github.com/pret string related tools and pokeemerald resources
    Wobb for making/helping with the GUI design

Attachments

• dexnav_1_22_2019.ups
      16 MB · Views: 704
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2023
    Just to make sure, is there something special with your saveblock hack that is necessary for the dexnav to work or is it safe to just replace 0x203C000 with a RAM offset that was freed up with JPANs saveblock hack? Also, how many bytes of RAM is it using?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2022
    if only this feature were implemented for emerald...quick question: if I download the ups and patch it...am I good to go or do I need to do any extra editing?

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Just to make sure, is there something special with your saveblock hack that is necessary for the dexnav to work or is it safe to just replace 0x203C000 with a RAM offset that was freed up with JPANs saveblock hack? Also, how many bytes of RAM is it using?

JPAN's saveblock hack will do. However, there is no reason not to patch mine over his, as you'd be getting more save space and not be breaking compatibility.

if only this feature were implemented for emerald...quick question: if I download the ups and patch it...am I good to go or do I need to do any extra editing?

If it is a clean ROM/BST table isn't repointed, then you can just patch over. Typically you want to build the project from source when you want to change where it's inserted/change addresses of tables.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Just publicly stating my admiration for this. I'm pretty sure it's going to become a FireRed hack staple!

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2024
    whenever i do the ups on a clean rom, it breaks GPE's pokemon editor. even before i do expansion.

im using leons rombase. the steps i did were

1) apply dexnav ups to clean rom
    2) apply leon rombase ips to dexnav patched rom
    3) open GPE, test pokemon editor, get invalid argument 65535.

in game, both patches work. i can just no longer edit the pokemon with GPE, and i was unable to get D&D to work as well. I'd prefer to use GPE for the importing pokemon.ini function.

the issue also persists even when i dont apply the leon rombase ips.

im pretty sure its about the repointed base stats table, but where does it insert them? or would i need to cross reference it with the clean rom, and see the repointed Hex? (im gonna do that right now, but posting just in case)

EDIT:
    I did the first 2 steps i mentioned, while doing the a new 3rd step of finding the repointed offset in the pokemon_bst.s made it work with GPE. I also managed to expand the pokemon and its also working.

Took me until posting this comment and thinking about it that i was finally able to solve my own problem. lol hopefully this helps others with the same problem going forward.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2020
    I think I set everything well but when I run make I get this:
    Code:
    process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, uname -s, ...) failed.
    process_begin: CreateProcess(NULL, uname -r, ...) failed.
    -e "\e[34mProcessing image images/dexnav_gui.png\e[0m"
    La sintaxis del comando no es correcta.
    make: *** [generated/images/dexnav_gui.c] Error 1

Anyone knows what failed?

Edit:
    I solved the problem but the last lines were:
    Code:
    Build Complete
    rm generated/images/pokenav/selection_cursor.c generated/images/dexnav_gui.c generated/images/pokenav/empty.c generated/images/pokenav/cave_smoke.c generated/images/pokenav/dexnav_stars.c

It seems to work fine but the github readme say the last line should be ¨done¨, is that normal?

Last edited:
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Dec 24, 2023
    uhm just a question...can i edit the appearnce of the dexnav like can i edit the pic DEXNAV_GUI ?

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    hi, i have a problem, my rom has asm double battle and dexnav ends up finding double battles and adds a MissingNo. as second pokemom, who knows how to solve?

Lioniac

High-level Language Developer trying to learn ASM
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2021
    Hi... amazing implementation!

I'm using the patch but realized it's really not 100% like I desired, so I'm trying to learn your code to change, but failing badly :(
    Is it possible to have DexNav without hidden abilities, without repointing Pokemon BST and without expanding the ROM from 16MB to 32MB ? If so, please advise since I'm noob programming.

Thanks in advance!

Lioniac

High-level Language Developer trying to learn ASM
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2021
    Hi... amazing implementation!

I'm using the patch but realized it's really not 100% like I desired, so I'm trying to learn your code to change, but failing badly :(
    Is it possible to have DexNav without hidden abilities, without repointing Pokemon BST and without expanding the ROM from 16MB to 32MB ? If so, please advise since I'm noob programming.

Thanks in advance!

Does removing these below from each entry at https://github.com/EternalCode/Dexnav/blob/master/src/pokemon_base_stats.c removes the hidden ability? Please advise.
    Spoiler:

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Does removing these below from each entry at https://github.com/EternalCode/Dexnav/blob/master/src/pokemon_base_stats.c removes the hidden ability? Please advise.
    Spoiler:

Hi, I believe the CFRU project included this implementation along with some other general improvements to the base game. You should look into using that as it incorporates this and more features that you may be interested in.
    As for your question, simply setting it to ABILITY_NONE will do the trick.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023

Hey FBI, would you mind helping me with something, I'm working in cfru and trying to change how/where icons appear in certain menus,
    like summary screen, battle hp bar, etc.

I checked out the git page you shared, and I came to the conclusion that once you had your png image inserted you'd need a .grit file to tell the game where every thing should be.

Is that right? should I be looking for the grit file in cfru, or add anoher one tells the stuff to arrange icons in this way instead of the other.

Finally, if I do need a grit file, what language is it, I don't know to read/write that?

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • Hey FBI, would you mind helping me with something, I'm working in cfru and trying to change how/where icons appear in certain menus,
    like summary screen, battle hp bar, etc.

I checked out the git page you shared, and I came to the conclusion that once you had your png image inserted you'd need a .grit file to tell the game where every thing should be.

Is that right? should I be looking for the grit file in cfru, or add anoher one tells the stuff to arrange icons in this way instead of the other.

Finally, if I do need a grit file, what language is it, I don't know to read/write that?

Hey, unfortunately the grit file is only responsible for converting the image into a format to be read by the GBA. What you are attempting to do, changing the positions of images, requires changes to code. Depending on what you're editing these changes can be simple. Typically interfaces have static item positions. If you include more detail, I could give you some pointers. That said, this thread is probably not the place for it. You can try to reach me on the PC discord in #rom-hacking.

Back