• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Am i in the wrong?

Years
  • i have owned almost every version available of pokemon since gen 1. i worked hard for all the pokemon i caught and dedicated many hours into these games. i transfered all my pokemon from all 5 gen 3 versions (S,R,E,FR,LG) to my diamond version. after i beat pokemon white and got to the part where you could finally transfer pokemon to gen 5, i was estatic. i could keep the pokemon i had trained and put all my time into in the last 2 gens and bring them into the future (none of them were too good, but you get attached). i come to realize that i cannot find my diamond version. i looked everywhere in my house. no where to be found.

A year later i finally ask my brother if he had seen it. he asked me what it looked like. i showed him the white version cartridge and said it was like this only blue. he then told me that my dog (a puppy at the time) found it and destroyed it. he had forgotten to tell me.

All that time wasted, destroyed by an animal that didnt know any better (she gave me the puppy eyes and i forgave her right away)

i decided that i would recover all of my pokes by hacking the ones i liked the best into my white version. i even added shinies of my favorites and legends that were very difficult to get (i did it through some website that would send the pokes over gts). i never passed them off as legit. i never tried to trade them and i never battled with them. they were only there to replace the hard work i had put into my games before this. i have not transferred them to my version of pokemon Y (i dont think they even can be brought over) nor do i plan to.

i have told this before in other places and i got a lot of flack because people have such strong feelings against hacking (i dont blame them). what do you guys think? am i in the wrong for hacking? would you have done the same thing in my situation?

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
  • If you're keeping them for your own personal use, and not forcing their presence on others, why should anyone care? People who get butthurt over the mere existence of hacking need to get over themselves, imo. Not everyone is out to do it to gain unfair advantages or ruin others' fun.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I personally wouldn't have hacked them. I'm very sentimental and to hack Pokemon that I had previously worked for would have felt wrong. However, it's your game. If you feel better having done this, then that's all that matters. No one can tell you what you can and can't do in your games.

Ace Dynamo

Wandering Star
    Years
  • Hacking isn't always the greatest thing but honestly, as long as you personally are happy in the end, that's what counts. And as long as your happiness isn't being thrown into the faces of others by force.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    There's nothing inherently wrong with hacking a game. You may argue from a philosophical perspective that it changes the vision of the person creating it, but in this case that definitely doesn't apply. But some people associate hacking with wrongness by default because there can be bad effects; they forget that the bad effects aren't inextricably linked to the hacking, but can be removed like you did. So no, you're not in the wrong at all.

This has been your daily philosophy applied to Pokemon.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I would have just gone through and spent a couple of hours trying to get the pokemon I had lost in the event. I mean sure there are the super special event only pokemon you won't be able to replace but you can get the majority of them back fairly easy and it would make you feel better than just hacking them in to your game. But that's just me. I'd rather spend a month or two trying to make everything perfect over taking the shortcut and just tossing it all together.

Pinta77

It's just a game. So do what ever you want you know. If you have fun, that's all that matters

Years
  • As pthers said. You're not committing some kind of crime. The most you can do is to annoy some players if you use them for online battles, and that's all. However, the problem arises if you are not happy with them.
    What I mean is, if I had lost all my favorite Pokemon, shinies, legendaries, I'd be pissed, but I wouldn't have hacked them. Reason is very simple, cos these hacked Pokemon aren't the ones I had. They weren't the ones I trained, caught and taken care of. Of course, I would not make a huge deal out of it, cry over it or anything, I would just catch all those Pokemon all over again and try to do it as quickly as possible so I can move on with a game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    You're not in the wrong don't even worry about it. In the end Pokemon are just pixels on a screen and nothing more. Whether you hacked them or "cared" for them yourself it's the same end result. Idk I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but I wouldn't waste my time doing everything I worked so hard for all over again either.

LyokoGirl5000

Lyoko Princess
    Years
  • I created my SoulSilver team in PokeSav as eggs and traded them over to SoulSilver to hatch. They're never leaving SoulSilver and I like them, so who cares if other people don't? Have fun with your game and don't worry about the people who say otherwise. My personal rule is that as long as it doesn't effect other people, like Wondertomb on Wi-Fi for example, it doesn't matter how you got it.

Years
  • As long as you hack the Pokemon correctly, there's absolutely no difference between the ones that you have been with for years and just created, and the ones you just created in terms of actual data. If you want to emulate back what you have lost, go ahead; don't let others judge you.

Tek

Years
  • As long as you hack the Pokemon correctly, there's absolutely no difference between the ones that you have been with for years and just created, and the ones you just created in terms of actual data.

Precisely. I've used an app to create what were nearly exact clones of Pokémon that I had spent many hours raising on my emulator, and send them to my HG.

I had the fortune of being able to look at my Pokémon's stats and make sure that their EVs and IVs were - if not exactly the same - then at least very similar to the clones that I was creating. They even had my OT/ID, and the game recognizes them as being from whichever version they were originally on. Even though you weren't able to do this exactly the same as me, what you did was essentially the same thing I did.

I also hacked a bunch of shinies and 6Vs but eventually I released them all. They just didn't feel that valuable since I got them for free.

I did accidentally make a clone of my shiny Trapinch from Emerald into a 6V, but I didn't realize that until after I had spent hours raising it. I'm still on the fence of whether to make a new Trapinch or just deal with it. I guess I could just make a new Flygon with reasonable IVs since I already spent all the time raising it. Just thought of that XD

Years
  • alright at least i know people understand why i hacked. those hacks arent leaving my white version, i wanted to make sure that i started the 6th gen hack free. i know the hacks are not reasonable substitutes for games i put all my time and sentiment into, but i wanted them as a way to represent what i had lost (and to see all the pretty shinies....so shiny!). i hope to eventually go back to my older versions and trying again at establishing a pokemon army that i built from scratch like the one i used to have.

Years
  • In my opinion, you're not in the wrong. If this had happened to me, I would have done the exact same thing. You grew really attached to those Pokemon, and you had a way of (sort of) getting them back in your life. Like you said, you're keeping them only in that game, which seems to be okay with most people.

Although I have a pretty lenient opinion on hacks. I don't personally bother with hacks as I mostly play casually or shiny hunt most of the time. Don't feel bad.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • In you situation it's cool, there was no harm done to anyone else and you really cared for those pokemon. If I pokemon I truly cared about was in my emulator game or such I would have no problem with just sending it off to my real game through hacks. If it's a legit pokemon and you hack it I don't see a problem with it.

Years
  • I don't think your wrong, it would take a lot of time to get all of them back legitimately. You are using them for your own enjoyment and not bothering any one else with them, honestly why would any one care? It's your game and your pokemon, I only see it mattering if you were trying to trade a hacked one to someone who didn't believe in hacks. I don't care if people hack, as long as they aren't using them in their favor to get pokemon someone actually worked hard for, you know?

Back