• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will Mega Evolutons replace Formes?

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Back before XY, certain Pokemon could change between various formes through various means. This was kind of cool in that it could drastically change the use of said Pokemon. With the advent of mega stones, and the lack of new formes in XY (I'm not counting flabebe, vivilion, and the poodle as they are all aesthetic only), do you think that we're done seeing new formes?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Forms would wind up getting limited in terms of actual use, but they'd still be there under some capacity. Basically, mega-evolutions are their focal point, while forms are not, haha. d:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Back before XY, certain Pokemon could change between various formes through various means. This was kind of cool in that it could drastically change the use of said Pokemon. With the advent of mega stones, and the lack of new formes in XY (I'm not counting flabebe, vivilion, and the poodle as they are all aesthetic only), do you think that we're done seeing new formes?

I doubt it, since Mega Evolution and formes are two very different things. And besides, they gave Gourgeist/Pumpkaboo and Aegislash alternate formes despite the fact that Mega Evolutions existed in their generation.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Well, formes and Mega Evolutions are typically used for different things. When a Pokemon has a forme, it usually gives a rearrangement of the same base stats which in turn, changes what the Pokemon role will become. Like Giratina and Giratina-O, the former serve as being more defensive while the latter is more offensive, but both still retain the same base stats. The only exception to this rule is Kyurem and Rotom as both gain a higher base stat.

Mega Evolution on the other hand serves more as a power-up. Mega Evolution doesn't seem to change the role of Pokemon like formes do, but rather strengthens their current role. Of course there are a few Pokemon that are exceptions to this.

I don't think formes are gonna get replaced by Mega Evolutions anytime soon.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I doubt the Mega Evolutions would replace Formes any time soon, purely since the Mega Evolutions (from my point of view) were created to give both underrated and fan favourite Pokemon an edge in battle, while Formes are just a way of rearranging stats and/or changing appearances in a Pokemon.

In short, Mega Evolutions are a boost in power, while Formes is putting power it already has to different use. A good example of Formes being used to rearrange stats would be Deoxys. The damn thing has 4 formes, and all of them are simply rearranged to different fields. It retains its base stat total, they're just in different areas, while a Mega Evolution gains an extra 100 BST to add onto its stats.

Years
  • Well, this generation there are Aegislash and the Pumpkaboo line that have different forms, not to mention the different Vivillon patterns, Flabebe line flower colors, and Furfrou trims. (which are all only cosmetic)

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I doubt the Mega Evolutions would replace Formes any time soon, purely since the Mega Evolutions (from my point of view) were created to give both underrated and fan favourite Pokemon an edge in battle, while Formes are just a way of rearranging stats and/or changing appearances in a Pokemon.

This right here. There's also the fact that MEs are temporary and only happen in battle, but Formes are semi-permanent depending on which one we're talking about, and mostly specific to legendaries. There also seems to be a reason for having a forme, however bad it is, (ex. Deoxys adapting in battle; Wormadam due to the environment; etc) whereas MEs only happen when a Pokemon has a stone and a good bond with the trainer.

Back