• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen General GS Tips

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • Hi guys - a collaboration project! Daily is going ot make a few articles to do with GS, and one is a general tips guide. Quoting myself:
    General tips and hints guide. Stuff to keep in mind given the games are rather old (e.g. movesets sure sucked back then =p). Stuff like what to do with the Red Scale, how to actually find Lugia, and what Starter should you consider (and that Chikorita = hard[er] mode).
    (Btw, if you want to write anything on GS - or other pokemon stuff - for Daily, do check the forum section and pitch your idea!)

So: share all tips and info you feel would be useful to include in such a guide. All useful contributions will be credited in the article! I'll put it together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I kinda wanted to make a sorta Screen shot journal LP of Pokemon Gold, while showcasing some tips and tricks about battling the gym leaders, and other stuff in the game if you guys wanna use that. o:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • The game hints it only a few times, but Mr. Pokémon obviously likes collecting Pokémon stuff. Show him a Red Scale and he'll give you an EXP. Share.

The version of game you get doesn't prevent you from getting the other cover legendary Pokémon. To get Ho-Oh or Lugia, get a Rainbow Wing (available in Silver) or Silver Wing (available in Gold) respectively from an old man near the Route 3 side of Pewter City.
    EXP Share is a huge one to mention for sure. Guess a 'useful items' section makes sense. So too (and likely at the start) a 'what game should you get' section mentioning stuff like legendaries being available in each.
    I kinda wanted to make a sorta Screen shot journal LP of Pokemon Gold, while showcasing some tips and tricks about battling the gym leaders, and other stuff in the game if you guys wanna use that. o:
    That'd be cool, but I'd like this article at the latest published on the day, so if you're planning for that after launch, for this article we'd need the images from elsewhere. No issue, I reckon I know a few existing LPs with relevant screenshots. =)
    If a player has issues with Whitney, catching a Drowzee near the daycare and trading it for a Machop in the Goldenrod Department Store will give you a much needed advantage. In addition, the Machop will be easier to train due to the boosted experience gain from being traded and can be useful later on in the playthrough.
    Trades will definitely need to be covered, haha. Machop and also Onix at the start are useful.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Okay!

- Easiest starter to beat the game with
    - Best early route Pokemon that'll keep you going throughout the whole game
    - Best trainer numbers
    - What TMs are useless
    - Best Pokemon to go back and get - like Lapras etc
    - HM slaves
    - Get through Ilex forest quickly
    - Game corner tips
    - Goldenrod Department Store - where the best items are (trust me it's a pain to climb knowing exactly where to go from the start heeeelpppsss)
    - Navigating Mt Mortar
    - Quickest route to Cianwood City
    - Ecruteak gym - the actual route to follow
    - Finding Entei etc tips
    - Don't forget about the Nugget at Miltank farm!
    - Quick tips for Rocket hangout in Mahogany?
    - Ice cave how to get through it
    - Most useful route from Blackthorn to New Bark (to increase item yield and to battle most trainers, or vice versa)

aaand that's all for now!

Years
  • I'm surprised no one mentioned the Apricorns yet. That will definitely need to be important considering it is a major feature of the Johto games.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Okay!

- Easiest starter to beat the game with
    - Best early route Pokemon that'll keep you going throughout the whole game Might as well, but will keep it short and link to ddrox13's article about best Pokemon per route.
    - Best trainer numbers What are they in your opinion?
    - What TMs are useless Probably better to talk about the best TMs instead imo
    - Best Pokemon to go back and get - like Lapras etc I can mention the unique Pokemon but again ddrox will be covering this.
    - HM slaves
    - Get through Ilex forest quickly I.e. Farfetch'd puzzle? I suppose a 'puzzle section' makes sense then... although that'd be a bit of work in itself given Ice Path and all.
    - Game corner tips Gambling yay
    - Goldenrod Department Store - where the best items are (trust me it's a pain to climb knowing exactly where to go from the start heeeelpppsss) I'll probably keep this within a best items + locations list.
    - Navigating Mt Mortar In terms of getting the Tyrogue?
    - Quickest route to Cianwood City Not sure if this is that useful or necessary to include.
    - Ecruteak gym - the actual route to follow Puzzles section
    - Finding Entei etc tips
    - Don't forget about the Nugget at Miltank farm! Will be part of early tips - 'save your berries'.
    - Quick tips for Rocket hangout in Mahogany? Puzzles section
    - Ice cave how to get through it ""
    - Most useful route from Blackthorn to New Bark (to increase item yield and to battle most trainers, or vice versa)

aaand that's all for now!
    Cheers! Made comments in bold, partly for myself in regards to structuring the article.
    I'm surprised no one mentioned the Apricorns yet. That will definitely need to be important considering it is a major feature of the Johto games.
    Apricorns are worth a mention. Pity in GS you can only have one made a day (unlike in Crystal). Also a pity that some of the Balls don't actually work as intended... which is worth mentioning actually.

Years
  • I think maybe you should also point out that IVs worked differently in this gen compared to 3rd Gen onwards, like how IVs also determined shiny Pokemon and gender. Maybe listing best places to EV train as well, since they're always handy.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I think maybe you should also point out that IVs worked differently in this gen compared to 3rd Gen onwards, like how IVs also determined shiny Pokemon and gender. Maybe listing best places to EV train as well, since they're always handy.
    Fair point on IVs - short explanation only I think for this guide as SirBoglor is keen to do a separate gen 2 breeding/shiny guide. As for EVs - while my memory is rusty and I'll need to look it up, they worked differently in gen 1 and 2. You could train in every stat without a cap ala gen 3 and onwards, so basically just keep battling Pokemon and your EVs would eventually be maxed out everywhere.

Lass Ellie

Ristar
    Years
  • I'd suggest that people try and be careful catching Pokemon, because some PoPokemon (like Unown) can flee, which is frustrating.

Back