• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Anime Is Not Drawn Anymore?

TheBatPrince

Banned
Years
  • Hi all!

Does anybody feel a bit of frustration at this?

Why is it that none of the Anime is ever hand-drawn anymore? It's all mostly generated Digitally, which doesn't HAVE to be bad, it's just that it usually is. Why don't Artists want to do it traditionally? Great Fictions like Dragon Ball Z, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade, etc. all used to utilize top-grade drawing techniques. They had a team of people to work on different things; like the Background, the Expressions, the 'Animation-Animation' phase, Clothing, and so on. It's an old thing to go to into your special Art Room of the house, and just sit with stacks of paper on the side; doodling to your heart's content away.

These new shows like "Dragon Ball Super", "Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds", the new Pokemon Show I recently saw when flipping through the Channels, all seem to look poorly made. The Lighting is bad, the Colour is bad, and there's just something about it just seems off. The Anatomy's of the Characters are also not good, like that old shot on the Net comparing a Dragon Ball Z Buu Saga picture with the new Super Show. This was it I believe: https://proxy.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=.../Dragon-Ball-Super-05-Honte-8.jpeg&f=1&nofb=1.

What are your thoughts?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Since this seems to be more than just about the Pokemon Anime I went and moved it to the Anime and Manga section for you! :)

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2021
    I agree, CGI in anime is extremely off-putting, but animation studio's don't really have a choice anymore. Animation key frames are usually still hand-drawn, but the majority is definitely digitally coloured in, and I can't blame them at all. It's faster, cheaper, and with how much competition there is, they need their shows reach a certain quality and to appeal to the current younger audience.

Animation is a hard and tedious job that pays next to nothing for the amount of hours put in, why would anyone want to do it? It takes a lot of time and experience to build the skill to draw anime, and it's much harder and harder to find that talent nowadays with all our current art technology. Back then they could do it traditionally because the anime industry wasn't as popular abroad as it is now. But now with the huge boom of new anime coming out left and right, they've got to increase their speed, quality and stand out among the crowd. All by doing so under the same tiny budget they had back then, which is kind of impossible. Otherwise they can easily be replaced by other anime, with are being created faster and more consistently using new technology.

Right now the animation industry in Japan is being held on the shoulders of freelancers who are just passionate about what they do. They love to see their creation come to life, even if they get virtually no reward or benefit from it. You can very easily see how this can cause many people to give up and want out.

Raising wages for animators would probably ruin more lives than it would improve, as it will definitely cause many small companies to go bankrupt. If Japanese companies were given a bigger budget, or more money went to the actual studios and animators, rather than the TV stations and streaming services, maybe things would be different.

TheBatPrince

Banned
    Years
  • I agree, CGI in anime is extremely off-putting, but animation studio's don't really have a choice anymore. Animation key frames are usually still hand-drawn, but the majority is definitely digitally coloured in, and I can't blame them at all. It's faster, cheaper, and with how much competition there is, they need their shows reach a certain quality and to appeal to the current younger audience.

Animation is a hard and tedious job that pays next to nothing for the amount of hours put in, why would anyone want to do it? It takes a lot of time and experience to build the skill to draw anime, and it's much harder and harder to find that talent nowadays with all our current art technology. Back then they could do it traditionally because the anime industry wasn't as popular abroad as it is now. But now with the huge boom of new anime coming out left and right, they've got to increase their speed, quality and stand out among the crowd. All by doing so under the same tiny budget they had back then, which is kind of impossible. Otherwise they can easily be replaced by other anime, with are being created faster and more consistently using new technology.

Right now the animation industry in Japan is being held on the shoulders of freelancers who are just passionate about what they do. They love to see their creation come to life, even if they get virtually no reward or benefit from it. You can very easily see how this can cause many people to give up and want out.

Raising wages for animators would probably ruin more lives than it would improve, as it will definitely cause many small companies to go bankrupt. If Japanese companies were given a bigger budget, or more money went to the actual studios and animators, rather than the TV stations and streaming services, maybe things would be different.

Yes. I don't feel it's always so bad, as some shows I remember like Reboot, Beast Wars, a few others could use 3D Animation well, and I even saw some other stuff using a mix of 2D AND 3D. It can look very cool.

I know, I'm not so sure how Animation works in the mind of someone doing it, versus the thrill an Artist feels when they are drawing the Picture itself (difference being that you may just be sitting in front of the Computer Keyframing and stuff, etc.), but I think back in the days of earlier Animation it would have been lots of fun doing it. For some reason...it seems really boring to me....but I'm sure to sit back and look at your hard work; knowing you made kids happy makes it all worth it.

And, if I may add: much of the talent you speak of missing today is not so much in the Art Technology, but more just in people's lack of understanding of Reality. To quote Akira Toriyama, "You have to just keep practicing drawing everything as much as you can. I never took Art Classes. I drew everything I saw, from Birds to clunky old Cars. Jars, Bottles, Forks, Fish, People in all kinds of situations; and that's how I developed the skill for it" (I may have paraphrased it a bit). You have to really know your Eastern Religious & Mythological Culture to properly make Anime; because sadly most Anime today lacks the one thing it originally is made to demonstrate about the Orient: Fighting. All of the Choreography in Dragon Ball Super is dreadful, and most of these modern Animes just reuse all the same standard Yellow Belt techniques you'll find common in a Westernized Training Gym.

And it is sad, that people seem to think to make Money you have to produce Products as fast as possible; and that those who make their Products the fastest will win the most money. It doesn't work that way. It's all Fate really, but specifically in this context: look to all of the other Merchandise for an Anime to gauge how popular it is. Back in the day we saw EVERY BLOODY store with Mom and Dad, carrying the most strangest of Pokemon toys and collectibles. I'm looking at a little rubber clear reflective ball with a little yellow Jolteon inside it that bounces, kind of like an Amber rock from Jurassic Park! Haha! You would never find this now. Clothing Stores, Convenience Stores, Drug Stores, they all carried this Merchandise. But as you can clearly see, none of these new Animes sell anything anywhere. At most, you'll maybe find it in Japan because it's the Country that made the Shows & Books. Other than that, it's mostly just the Online Streaming Community that is funding these Animes. Err..."funding" isn't the word when you steal a TV Series, haha, so in fact the mere audience they're marketing to isn't even paying them for it. Goes to show what an illogical cycle it is!

And yes, that is the point of being an Artist of any kind. It's about making people happy; and that should always come free. Plus as fully grown Adults, I don't see why any of these people who work in the Field should be so desperate that they can't possibly find another Job meanwhile. At their age, they should know better. Akira Toriyama used to pursue tons of other gigs, like Model Kits, some other stuff I forgot.

And yes, I would NOT increase wages for most of these buffoons in the industry today. That's not the solution. First people need to get this message to kids to stop Streaming & Pirating, among other things. Just a simple purchase of a nice Box Set does so much for your Hormones alone; I don't know why no one likes doing that anymore (probably because of all the yelling at them in the Rec. Room where the best TV is in the House :D).

All in all though, the moral is that to be that type of Fairy Tale Artist, who travels the Land selling Paintings, you've gotta have some skill. And most people today just don't understand that. I myself am an Actor & Singer, and know all about that life. Nothing comes easy, yet those that just grow up with the right work ethic will be able to excel at Art; making MILLIONS like it were nothing. It's the same with Writing, and same with Programming. If you only stay in the Smart Technology App realm, you kind of just stay at the Analyst level or move up to be Executive in a Company that doesn't really know much about Machines or People. But if you pay attention in all the Hardware courses, and try to move into Engineering some new cool CPU & such advancements (as per a more Hands-On type of life of seeing things and touching that which isn't just Theory & Template-based).

Last edited:

User Anon 1848

The state of animation in Japan right now is pretty depressing. It makes me less inclined to try new anime. There's plenty of classic anime that I need to catch up on anyway and I can always read the manga if I hear good things about a new series. Even legendary and beloved series like Dragon Ball and Berserk can't get decent animation anymore. Super fans might nitpick poor still frame shots to make it look like the animation was always this bad but the decline in quality is obvious if you compare the average DB/DBZ episode to Super. I'll concede that even DBZ's animation got worse over time but for the most part it was at an acceptable level. A lot of modern anime looks like it was drawn by 5 year old kids. Regardless of the reasons it's pathetic that standards have dropped this much.

Years
  • The state of animation in Japan right now is pretty depressing. It makes me less inclined to try new anime. There's plenty of classic anime that I need to catch up on anyway and I can always read the manga if I hear good things about a new series. Even legendary and beloved series like Dragon Ball and Berserk can't get decent animation anymore. Super fans might nitpick poor still frame shots to make it look like the animation was always this bad but the decline in quality is obvious if you compare the average DB/DBZ episode to Super. I'll concede that even DBZ's animation got worse over time but for the most part it was at an acceptable level. A lot of modern anime looks like it was drawn by 5 year old kids. Regardless of the reasons it's pathetic that standards have dropped this much.

Counterpoint to the DB/DBZ and Super comparisons: You're probably watching the refined VHS/DVD/BD releases for DB and DBZ, but probably watching the TV release cut for Super. TV release inbetweens have historically always been pretty subpar as they're usually rushed to meet a TV release deadline. They clean them up for the VHS/DVD/BD releases when they have time and aren't rushing for crunch, but we have less access to the TV releases for older series like DB and DBZ when compared to modern series since the internet didn't have really any streaming capacity back then and most VHS and betamax recordings of the TV releases in Japan were probably discarded or are otherwise worn down due to the low durability of magnetic tape as a technology.

That said, animation studios were far healthier in the late '80s and early '90s than they are now so they did have the resources to have a better looking overall TV release. We get good looking productions now when a studio has the financial resources to pay adequate numbers and quality of staff - see studios like Kyoto Animation (Violet Evergarden, for example) and any works at least partially funded by some western money like Dimension W (Orange, part of the team for Land of the Lustrous, and backed in part by Funimation money), Devilman Crybaby (OVA but Aniplex and backed by both Aniplex and Netflix money) and Little Witch Academia TV release (Trigger, backed by Netflix money) for examples.

Also, Berserk's adaptations have always been garbage quality for animation, I thought? Pretty sure that was the consensus?

TheBatPrince

Banned
    Years
  • Ah well just to clarify, that old style you see of like Ash chasing Brock with the little big puffy angry Eyes with just little ovals for feet running in a circle as he dashes after him with dust trailing, is not something I don't like.

That's actually beautiful.

Last edited:

User Anon 1848

Counterpoint to the DB/DBZ and Super comparisons: You're probably watching the refined VHS/DVD/BD releases for DB and DBZ, but probably watching the TV release cut for Super. TV release inbetweens have historically always been pretty subpar as they're usually rushed to meet a TV release deadline. They clean them up for the VHS/DVD/BD releases when they have time and aren't rushing for crunch, but we have less access to the TV releases for older series like DB and DBZ when compared to modern series since the internet didn't have really any streaming capacity back then and most VHS and betamax recordings of the TV releases in Japan were probably discarded or are otherwise worn down due to the low durability of magnetic tape as a technology.

That said, animation studios were far healthier in the late '80s and early '90s than they are now so they did have the resources to have a better looking overall TV release. We get good looking productions now when a studio has the financial resources to pay adequate numbers and quality of staff - see studios like Kyoto Animation (Violet Evergarden, for example) and any works at least partially funded by some western money like Dimension W (Orange, part of the team for Land of the Lustrous, and backed in part by Funimation money), Devilman Crybaby (OVA but Aniplex and backed by both Aniplex and Netflix money) and Little Witch Academia TV release (Trigger, backed by Netflix money) for examples.

Also, Berserk's adaptations have always been garbage quality for animation, I thought? Pretty sure that was the consensus?

I watched DBZ on TV in the 90's (and many rewatches throughout the 2000's) and watched the original Dragon Ball on TV during the 2000's too. Maybe nostalgia plays a factor but I remember both series looking a lot better than your average episode of Super. A lot of the VHS/DVD/BD releases have other issues like poor cropping, coloring, loss of detail etc so they're not perfect either. What (admittedly little) I saw of the blu-rays for Super on the kanzenshuu website didn't impress me at all. Even the Broly movie which seems to be mostly praised by the fandom for its animation uses too much close ups, long shots and CGI for my liking. DBZ absolutely used a lot of close ups and long shots during fights to avoid having to draw in more details too but Super abused this a lot more often. I feel bad for the animators who are working under such tight time constraints, especially if they're underpaid but that knowledge doesn't change the way I view the animation.

I think by 90's standards the original Berserk anime had decent animation. Let me clarify, what we actually saw animated was pretty good for its time. The biggest problem was that the studio couldn't fully animate certain scenes (a lot of the fights) so we got a lot of still shots accompanied by music. I wouldn't call it great animation but decent is pretty apt imo. I think the consensus has changed somewhat over time with increasingly bad Berserk adaptations coming out over the years. At least that's what I've noticed from lurking the skullknight forums.

Years
  • I watched DBZ on TV in the 90's (and many rewatches throughout the 2000's) and watched the original Dragon Ball on TV during the 2000's too. Maybe nostalgia plays a factor but I remember both series looking a lot better than your average episode of Super. A lot of the VHS/DVD/BD releases have other issues like poor cropping, coloring, loss of detail etc so they're not perfect either. What (admittedly little) I saw of the blu-rays for Super on the kanzenshuu website didn't impress me at all. Even the Broly movie which seems to be mostly praised by the fandom for its animation uses too much close ups, long shots and CGI for my liking. DBZ absolutely used a lot of close ups and long shots during fights to avoid having to draw in more details too but Super abused this a lot more often. I feel bad for the animators who are working under such tight time constraints, especially if they're underpaid but that knowledge doesn't change the way I view the animation.

I think by 90's standards the original Berserk anime had decent animation. Let me clarify, what we actually saw animated was pretty good for its time. The biggest problem was that the studio couldn't fully animate certain scenes (a lot of the fights) so we got a lot of still shots accompanied by music. I wouldn't call it great animation but decent is pretty apt imo. I think the consensus has changed somewhat over time with increasingly bad Berserk adaptations coming out over the years. At least that's what I've noticed from lurking the skullknight forums.

What you were watching on TV in the 1990s was very likely not the original TV broadcast tapes used in the Japanese broadcast. The original Japan broadcast for DB finished in 1989 and for DBZ in 1996. Most likely, the version used was the version fixed post-release, as there were 7 years between when episodes of DBZ aired in Japan and when they aired in the USA.

What you're taking issues with in the modern Broly movie is more tied to direction than to animation. Closeups and long shots are a directorial choice that the animators comply with. I have yet to see the new Broly movie but from what I understand, there was a fair bit more fluidity to the animation during the actual combat than people are used to getting from a Dragon Ball franchise entry. Can't confirm or deny on that part as, like I said, still haven't seen the new Broly movie. On the flip side, I have seen the old one, which had solid animation for a shonen franchise movie from the 1990s but nothing remotely standout for its era (see the Akira movie and various Ghibli films for theatrical animation peers to the original Broly movie).

CGI is all over anime these days, so I'm going to assume you mean the poorly done CGI that is in rampant use by many anime studios, which is an animation problem with the industry. Many anime studios have frustratingly insisted on using poorly done/poorly masked CGI in their ostensibly 2D animations rather than using it to enhance their consistency with those 2D animations, and this goes back to some works I forget the names of from the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Ah, yes, budget problems for the '90s Berserk. Scourge of anime since forever. I think that's where the original momentum for it having "bad animation" comes from.

Also, re: the idea that the past had better overall anime, let's not forget all the duds lost in our memories due to time, while we haven't forgotten about today's due to how recent they are and the fact that most anime of the last 10 years have been readily accessible to us as a western audience. Duds that are over 15 years old like Chargeman Ken (1974) and Twinkle Nora Rock Me (1985), Run=Dim (2001), and Spectral Force (1998), to name a few - series that I'm only personally familiar with because I've sat through some anime convention panels about how hilariously bad they are while being shown clips of them.

TheBatPrince

Banned
    Years
  • The state of animation in Japan right now is pretty depressing. It makes me less inclined to try new anime. There's plenty of classic anime that I need to catch up on anyway and I can always read the manga if I hear good things about a new series. Even legendary and beloved series like Dragon Ball and Berserk can't get decent animation anymore. Super fans might nitpick poor still frame shots to make it look like the animation was always this bad but the decline in quality is obvious if you compare the average DB/DBZ episode to Super. I'll concede that even DBZ's animation got worse over time but for the most part it was at an acceptable level. A lot of modern anime looks like it was drawn by 5 year old kids. Regardless of the reasons it's pathetic that standards have dropped this much.

Yes, I know.

But do not fret! The thing is most of the Connection Circle in modern day Businesspeople tend to just remain within the Cyber Realm. However old school people from the 80s and 60s have a way of getting things done, and pretty darn quickly.

If Akira Toriyama, Ken Sugimori, any of the other people ever decide that they've had enough with this modern day hullabaloo; you'll see tons of action happening. They're just all kind of "dormant" shall we say for some reason. I've no idea why. But you may think that because actors like Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat, etc. all agree to do Dragon Ball Super; that it means they like everything. Or because they say something in a Fan Shot Video, that it makes it true. For example, like Sean Schemmel might do a "Mudkips" fad impersonation for a Fan, but may very well go back home to say "Why the heck did some kid ask me to do that?". Or, things like how he mentioned in some Article that he said "Oh great. I just got the call for Dragon Ball Super. That's another 10 years of screaming.", which may very well have just been a joke to cover up. I bet he's more thinking things, that he'd probably never say out loud (much like everyone is in their private time): "Did nobody think my Character's Legacy is too great to just be continued abruptly like this?". Believe it or not, as an Actor myself I think this stuff too. Why should I play a Character of mine in some ordinary Fan Fiction after he clearly got brutally Killed in the Movie? It's like they think him being sent to Hell was nothing, and it's just a cheesey thing to post on the Net for more Money. NO MAN. I want it to be that when he's seen again, he's actually given a proper formal return from Hell. Ya digg?

Other things like that him and Chris Sabat were very pressured to play the Roles, as Fans might have been outraged at it. And him being a guy from back then stands to reason he'd have his own anger about the modern day world of Digital Anime versus Blockbuster Tapes. Guys like that tend to have all the right connections in Recording Studios, Journalism, Broadcasters, everything.

When in doubt, trust the Old People! :P

User Anon 1848

What you were watching on TV in the 1990s was very likely not the original TV broadcast tapes used in the Japanese broadcast. The original Japan broadcast for DB finished in 1989 and for DBZ in 1996. Most likely, the version used was the version fixed post-release, as there were 7 years between when episodes of DBZ aired in Japan and when they aired in the USA.

What you're taking issues with in the modern Broly movie is more tied to direction than to animation. Closeups and long shots are a directorial choice that the animators comply with. I have yet to see the new Broly movie but from what I understand, there was a fair bit more fluidity to the animation during the actual combat than people are used to getting from a Dragon Ball franchise entry. Can't confirm or deny on that part as, like I said, still haven't seen the new Broly movie. On the flip side, I have seen the old one, which had solid animation for a shonen franchise movie from the 1990s but nothing remotely standout for its era (see the Akira movie and various Ghibli films for theatrical animation peers to the original Broly movie).

CGI is all over anime these days, so I'm going to assume you mean the poorly done CGI that is in rampant use by many anime studios, which is an animation problem with the industry. Many anime studios have frustratingly insisted on using poorly done/poorly masked CGI in their ostensibly 2D animations rather than using it to enhance their consistency with those 2D animations, and this goes back to some works I forget the names of from the late 1980s/early 1990s.

Ah, yes, budget problems for the '90s Berserk. Scourge of anime since forever. I think that's where the original momentum for it having "bad animation" comes from.

Also, re: the idea that the past had better overall anime, let's not forget all the duds lost in our memories due to time, while we haven't forgotten about today's due to how recent they are and the fact that most anime of the last 10 years have been readily accessible to us as a western audience. Duds that are over 15 years old like Chargeman Ken (1974) and Twinkle Nora Rock Me (1985), Run=Dim (2001), and Spectral Force (1998), to name a few - series that I'm only personally familiar with because I've sat through some anime convention panels about how hilariously bad they are while being shown clips of them.

I'd like to see the original Japan broadcast for reference then (I feel like I might've since I've watched a lot of versions of the series over the years but idk for sure) since I still can't imagine it being as bad as Super. If the Super blu-rays are the best it has to offer then it's pretty telling. I'd welcome improved and refined versions down the line if they were to come though.

But isn't part of the reason for that direction so that the animators aren't strained with having to animate as much detail? I doubt alternating between extremely close up and extremely far away shots was an artistic choice made due to personal preference. Super did the same thing all the time and we know how much they struggled with animation. It's definitely more fluid than Super, I just don't think it's as good as the fandom makes it out to be. Maybe because Super set the bar so low much like future Berserk adaptations made the original look better by comparison.

It being common doesn't make me dislike it any less but yeah it's definitely worse with some series than others. I'm not fond of the Berserk movies but I'll take them over the 17/18 series any day.

Even without factoring in the excuses for it I was still more impressed with the animation than its following adaptations or most of Super. It had its problems though which is why I didn't go further than calling it decent.

I probably haven't seen as much anime as you but I've seen enough to notice the decline in quality. I never denied that older anime had duds too. I just think that anyone with two functioning eyes can notice that it's generally gotten worse now.

Yes, I know.

But do not fret! The thing is most of the Connection Circle in modern day Businesspeople tend to just remain within the Cyber Realm. However old school people from the 80s and 60s have a way of getting things done, and pretty darn quickly.

If Akira Toriyama, Ken Sugimori, any of the other people ever decide that they've had enough with this modern day hullabaloo; you'll see tons of action happening. They're just all kind of "dormant" shall we say for some reason. I've no idea why. But you may think that because actors like Sean Schemmel, Chris Sabat, etc. all agree to do Dragon Ball Super; that it means they like everything. Or because they say something in a Fan Shot Video, that it makes it true. For example, like Sean Schemmel might do a "Mudkips" fad impersonation for a Fan, but may very well go back home to say "Why the heck did some kid ask me to do that?". Or, things like how he mentioned in some Article that he said "Oh great. I just got the call for Dragon Ball Super. That's another 10 years of screaming.", which may very well have just been a joke to cover up. I bet he's more thinking things, that he'd probably never say out loud (much like everyone is in their private time): "Did nobody think my Character's Legacy is too great to just be continued abruptly like this?". Believe it or not, as an Actor myself I think this stuff too. Why should I play a Character of mine in some ordinary Fan Fiction after he clearly got brutally Killed in the Movie? It's like they think him being sent to Hell was nothing, and it's just a cheesey thing to post on the Net for more Money. NO MAN. I want it to be that when he's seen again, he's actually given a proper formal return from Hell. Ya digg?

Other things like that him and Chris Sabat were very pressured to play the Roles, as Fans might have been outraged at it. And him being a guy from back then stands to reason he'd have his own anger about the modern day world of Digital Anime versus Blockbuster Tapes. Guys like that tend to have all the right connections in Recording Studios, Journalism, Broadcasters, everything.

When in doubt, trust the Old People! :P

Akira Toriyama made a public comment about Super's animation early on in its initial run and wanting it to get better but I don't think anything came of it. If the problems are as systemic as everyone says they are then he might not be able to make much difference unless he really raises a stink about it. Then again I've heard rumblings about the animators behind the Broly movie (which again I think is overrated but noticeably better than Super) and the episode where Vegeta fought Jiren in his SSBE form (looks far better than every other episode) handling the animation when Super returns so that gives me some hope. This is just speculation but maybe the potential change in animation will be in large part due to Toriyama's complaint, especially since it's so rare for him to do something like that. He's always tried to get along with everyone involved with the anime, even keeping certain characters around in the story because he liked VA's and didn't want them out of a job.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Am I the only one who thinks a lot of the more modern animation looks better than most old animation? Granted, not so much the 3D/pseudo 3D cgi, but a lot of other more recent series are visually stunning compared to most series from the 80s-early 2000s.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I like my 90s anime and their raw look. Not exactly beautiful, often times too much of a tryhard on the realism side, but still with a lot of charme.
    Am I the only one who thinks a lot of the more modern animation looks better than most old animation? Granted, not so much the 3D/pseudo 3D cgi, but a lot of other more recent series are visually stunning compared to most series from the 80s-early 2000s.
    People have figured out how to get the most out of digital art that appeals to the (preferably) biggest crowd. There wouldn't be a point in continuing if that wasn't the case. It's also now at the point where it's cheaper than actual hand drawn frames. It also helps that you can undo mistakes as often as you want without having to resort to a new piece of paper, etc.
    Add to that an optimization of technique; as long as you know how anatomy works and how to exploit it you can make characters look beautiful and as long as you can use predefined filters you can get any background look decent even if in reality the whole thing is devoid of anything "beautiful".

I'm one of those people who like to say: it looks beautiful, but it doesn't have a soul.

TheBatPrince

Banned
    Years
  • Am I the only one who thinks a lot of the more modern animation looks better than most old animation? Granted, not so much the 3D/pseudo 3D cgi, but a lot of other more recent series are visually stunning compared to most series from the 80s-early 2000s.

Most of the modern Artists aren't well versed with Fighting Culture, so don't know how to properly articulate all of the Character's Poses!

The result is that you get Fight Sequences which look very redundant, and not well flowing. They tend to not be able to nail Facial Anatomy either. It was very prestigious in old Eastern Culture, to be able to represent somebody's Eyes in a way dating back to the old Stage Era! You get strangely disproportioned Nose Bridges, Chin Lines, etc. The drawings just don't even look complete. The Frame Rates are all off, the Inking is not good, the Shading achieved through just solid filled backgrounds on the Computer are not equal to that of other methods used. Like that classic Pinkish Mountain you'd see in DBZ, Pokemon, or Yu-Gi-Oh!

Not to say that Digital Art is actually ever bad. It's just this stuff today doesn't really qualify for "Art".

Years
  • Most of the modern Artists aren't well versed with Fighting Culture, so don't know how to properly articulate all of the Character's Poses!

The result is that you get Fight Sequences which look very redundant, and not well flowing. They tend to not be able to nail Facial Anatomy either. It was very prestigious in old Eastern Culture, to be able to represent somebody's Eyes in a way dating back to the old Stage Era! You get strangely disproportioned Nose Bridges, Chin Lines, etc. The drawings just don't even look complete. The Frame Rates are all off, the Inking is not good, the Shading achieved through just solid filled backgrounds on the Computer are not equal to that of other methods used. Like that classic Pinkish Mountain you'd see in DBZ, Pokemon, or Yu-Gi-Oh!

Not to say that Digital Art is actually ever bad. It's just this stuff today doesn't really qualify for "Art".

Okay but, there's way more genres in anime than just action/fighting stuff and I've seen some fairly dynamic action sequences in more modern series. Perfect? No. But not as bad as you claim - especially since a lot of the people drawing these scenes don't have an extensive knowledge of martial arts.

As for not qualifying as "art", I don't think that holds much weight. Art is first and foremost about creativity and secondly about skill and both of those things are still being demonstrated. This sounds more like a problem with change than with quality.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    IMO all the things mentioned here can relate too all anime. There have always been sloppy fight scenes, bad frames, etc. Modern anime is very diverse, there may be some trash but there's obviously awesome series too.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    3D anime just looks.. so uncanny, even when it's done well. Maybe it's just the classic illustrative anime artist in me, but I don't think I could ever share the same appreciation for CGI models that I can for proper, frame by frame animation.

Back