• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Yona of Dawn

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    What can I say about Yona of the Dawn?

Well, it's absolutely fabulous. I think this is definitely one of my favourite animes, surely. To be honest I started watching it recently and it's the first series in nearly a year that I've binge-viewed. Everything about the anime is captivating, from the dynamic, multi-dimension characters, to the phenomenal premise, everything about this anime is perfect. I'm so happy I signed up for this round of Lucky Dip!

I'm on episode 23, unfortunately, meaning that I'm almost finished this wonderful series. It breaks my heart to know this fact, as I'm so whole-heartedly invested in these troubled characters and their respective stories of struggle, courage, and perseverance. This is coming from someone who normally turns a blind eye to action anime. However, Yona of the Dawn reminds me of InyuYasha in a lot of ways, but I'd even dare to say that Yona, the girl in the blush of dawn is an even more valorous hero than the half-demon. I also LOVE that Yona goes by the alias "Lina" which is also my name, in case you didn't know. (Short for Adelina)

tumblr_newsvk9o4g1r68kq8o2_1280.gif

(I might just have to replace miss Kanade Tachibana and make Yona the theme for my signature and profile, we'll see.)

As one would expect, I give this series a solid 10/10 and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who loves a good story with complex characters and lots of suspenseful moments!
    The series is immensely heart-wrenching, there's so many twists and turns that it'll make your head spin. This anime, in my humble opinion, is a lovely blend of action and drama, with sprinkles of comedy and perhaps a teensy tiny hint of romance as well. I think it's a versatile anime that anyone could enjoy and it's certainly the best that I've seen in a while. If anyone has any recommendations of animes similar to Yona of the Dawn, don't be shy! I'm going to need something to watch after this one. (I'm still perturbed that this anime is so short, it could've really been turned into a multi-season ongoing series. It has so much potential!)

tumblr_nd2zqk85fv1r3rdh2o1_500.gif

(Also I must give some credit to Hak, he's one of the most alluring and frightening anime males there is!)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2023
    I got introduced to Yona through Lucky Dip as well and, not to repeat too much of what I've said on that post, it is a gem I never would've picked up by myself. I wouldn't say it's in my top 10, but in top 20 definitely.
    I'll just say make sure to watch the OVAs, one of them more slice of life-ish, the other is actual plot (and it greatly contributed to my infatuation with the series).

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I just watched the first OVA story and I really loved it. It was so lovely to see all of the characters in more of a relaxed, casual setting. It was also interesting to learn more about Kija's background and it was refreshing to see a softer side of Jae-ha.

Years
  • I absolutely adore this anime and am incredibly sad it never got a second season. Quality is high and you can tell they were probably banking on it to be big enough for a sequel season, but alas. =( The manga is good too, but the anime is especially well developed!

All of the characters are really good too, and stand out a lot from each other, but I think Shin-Ah and Jae-Ha are my favorites!

Opening 2 is one of my favorite anime ops of all time:
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ao61r

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I absolutely adore this anime and am incredibly sad it never got a second season. Quality is high and you can tell they were probably banking on it to be big enough for a sequel season, but alas. =( The manga is good too, but the anime is especially well developed!

All of the characters are really good too, and stand out a lot from each other, but I think Shin-Ah and Jae-Ha are my favorites!

Opening 2 is one of my favorite anime ops of all time:
    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ao61r

I agree! I think this anime had the potential for so much and it's rather unfortunate that a second season wasn't released. It does seem quite incomplete, as if they were planning to extend the series and build upon the storyline.

tumblr_ovi72uTeX11vgzd4so2_500.gif

As for my favourite character, I must say it is Zeno. Watching the last two OVAs was an emotional experience for me. Zeno is such an interesting character and after learning about his backstory I have so much respect and love for him. He's been through so much and it just makes me adore him. Long live the yellow dragon.

Next, I would say that I love Hak. I mean, he's a sight for sore eyes.

Back