• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Quality or Completion?

Truality

Left for good
Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    As the title implies, which one do you prefer for your hack? Would you rather have it completed easily or leave that out of your thoughts and move along slowly, but steadily, making quality work?

Or if you are a hard worker and decide to try both, which one do you prioritize?

Do you prefer playing completed hacks or unfinished, but well organized ones?

Discuss.

Years
  • Hm, interesting topic. Personally I strive for both, though that can make it take a lot longer. I don't believe I prioritise one over the other, as I aim for good qualty and organisation as I progress.

I prefer to play hacks that have more structure and definition to them, rather than one that was completed quickly. (Incidentally, hacks like that often retain an awful lot of the base ROMs original elements, which is unappealing to me). Having said that, I don't like releases that are too short, organised or not. I'd much rather wait a bit longer for some more length rather than se how much is scripted in the first two routes.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I would... rather have more quality in a hack than completion. But right now it seems like both... But a hack with lots of scripts/events and stuff that isn't finish would be much better than an 8-Gym hack with simple scripts/storyline. So I guess I prefer quality.

Chiar

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2014
    Completion. 99.99% of hacks die after a few months of work (often without a beta), and I would like to finally play a hack.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Completion AND quality.

Granted, I make shorter games, but that's just because that's what I like to do. There is no reason a game can't have quality and completion. I always try my best to do both.

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Quality.. but Completion depends on how easy you can create a high quality hack (as I've realised the time I spent hacking). If it's easy for you to make good maps/scripts/sprites, then you're probably fast as well.

But I'm always going for Quality.. Rushing it screws up the point of hacking. It's not about completing the hack, it's about making a good hack..

DuoRyan

Hack'in as usual, it seem.
    Years
  • I usually like quality better as it bring out the hack appeal more, plus I love to release a beta quick so people can play but it make it look like I rush through the rom.
    So I take a slow and steady route and when I feel it has great quality, I go ahead and release a beta knowing it is a great hack with everything that a good rom hack should have.
    So quality is the way to go for me.
    Completion can come right after.

Back