• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Snowflakes

Years
It's more about what comes out of being overly sensitive, which is frequently pro-censorship rhetoric. Overly sensitive people often don't want other people to be allowed to offend them. The problem is currently worse on the left, but it happens on both sides and I've noticed that it tends to worsen the longer they've held power. What's worse, both sides have people who refuse to call those people out, either out of some misplaced sense of camaraderie or because they don't see how rules that stifle expression they don't like will eventually be used against them. That behavior only allows those arguments to take root and grow out of control, though, which is how the situation got so bad on the left to begin with. That's why I think it's always important to speak out against censorious arguments, all the more when they're made by people ostensibly on your side.

Given my experiences with the alt-ri - actually just the right in general in all honesty - I find it really hard to think this is a problem worse on the left.

I mean, in general though, I agree with the sentiment that censorship shouldn't go too far. That doesn't mean that's okay to pray on people for being different though. Really that's what all the "snowflake" bs is about. "How dare you be apart of/defend a marginalised and victimised group that offend my delicate sensibilities."

It's just hypocritical and stupid and needs to stop. Otherwise addressing real censorship issues like what you're talking about is just never going to be something that can be done properly.

Years
I'm surprised this topic isn't closed considering this area is saturated with liberals out the ying yang.

The replies to this topic and another similar topic are not very "tolerant", where's the "love"? Come on everyone lets be "inclusive"... You wouldn't want to be a "hater / bigot" now would you?

See it's okay for users to discuss & debate anything abnormal, but it's not okay to discuss morals, certain agendas, or snowflakes which we seem to have here within this snowflake infested area.

Sword Master

You underestimate my power!
Years
It's more about what comes out of being overly sensitive, which is frequently pro-censorship rhetoric. Overly sensitive people often don't want other people to be allowed to offend them. The problem is currently worse on the left, but it happens on both sides and I've noticed that it tends to worsen the longer they've held power. What's worse, both sides have people who refuse to call those people out, either out of some misplaced sense of camaraderie or because they don't see how rules that stifle expression they don't like will eventually be used against them. That behavior only allows those arguments to take root and grow out of control, though, which is how the situation got so bad on the left to begin with. That's why I think it's always important to speak out against censorious arguments, all the more when they're made by people ostensibly on your side.
Finally someone said something that was actually.... sensible.
The irony is that a person quoted this post just to blame right wingers... when they both are equally bad (although the left is certainly more vocal and hard to escape).

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Feb 26, 2018
You guys are really scared over people being themselves and expressing themselves as they like. It's funny that you guys get so worked up over certain groups of people asking for representation and maybe to not be mocked in public.

A lot of this "censorship" really isn't censorship. Getting banned off twitter is just twitter telling you to take your hate speech else where, same goes for colleges. Getting arrested for hate speech is simply getting what you deserve. There is no grand conspiracy against the white male, which I know many of you believe in. I encourage all you guys to step out of your hug-box, echo chamber on the internet and actually look at the real world.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
I'm surprised this topic isn't closed considering this area is saturated with liberals out the ying yang.

The replies to this topic and another similar topic are not very "tolerant", where's the "love"? Come on everyone lets be "inclusive"... You wouldn't want to be a "hater / bigot" now would you?

See it's okay for users to discuss & debate anything abnormal, but it's not okay to discuss morals, certain agendas, or snowflakes which we seem to have here within this snowflake infested area.

We're not very accepting of people using derogative insults, no. Inclusivity doesn't mean we should allow people to freely insult one another.

I don't see how anything we've said is particularly hateful. Majority of this topic has been "stop using this term because it's derogative" and responding to a better version of the topic proposed by gimmiepie. To me, it seems like the people in support of OP are simply aiming to rile up people for fun. I'm surprised this topic hasn't been locked for the very obvious trolling attempts.

Finally someone said something that was actually.... sensible.
The irony is that a person quoted this post just to blame right wingers... when they both are equally bad (although the left is certainly more vocal and hard to escape).

I'm just gonna throw in some quotes about things that have already been said.

I mean, in general though, I agree with the sentiment that censorship shouldn't go too far. That doesn't mean that's okay to [prey] on people for being different though. Really that's what all the "snowflake" bs is about. "How dare you be apart of/defend a marginalised and victimised group that offend my delicate sensibilities."

I wouldn't call the left over-sensitive. Progressivism in a social context is obviously going to come off that way, unfortunately. You have to remember that people's livelihoods, lifestyles, and core identities are often being discussed in social progressivism. When we talk about activism for trans* people and other minorities, we have to be sensitive because it's about people. When we discuss economics, for example, we don't need sensitivity unless it intersects with social issues (which, like nearly all issues, inevitably will). So when liberals are being extremely nitpicky about the way you discuss a group of people, it's for a reason. Discussing certain groups in certain ways is pertinent to making sure that those groups are respected and that their needs are addressed. So if you're in a discussion with someone regarding trans* people, and you refer trans* people as "transvestites," then you're going to get some backlash for using an antiquated pejorative that the trans* community has rejected the use of, and people will call you out for it. It might seem overly sensitive, but it's about respecting a person's identity, something that minority groups especially need in a discussion about themselves.

My take on the word "snowflake" at this point is "look, someone who is offended at being insulted/punched/attacked. Let's laugh at them and call them 'weak' for demanding a modicum of respect! Fuck your feelings!".

Needless to say, a society in which people take pride on being cruel to each other and call people who don't like it "weak" is not a healthy one.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
Years
Ive just heard some conservatives calling other conservatives snowflakes

basically the alt-right are a bunch of snowflakes

its ironic that the alt-right are basically the radical SJW's of the right

Years
Apparently, calling someone a snowflake means the he or she is intolerant and is hostile towards anyone who doesn't share their worldview. I can only wonder why though... Isn't snowflake supposed to be a beautiful word? So full of grace?

Snowflake is the perfect word for these kinds of people. I have no issue with people that are left-wing of left-of-centre, but I do take issue when people are easily offended and make an issue out of things that are not meant to be offensive in any way. Snowflakes (the ones that fall from the sky) are very delicate, as is the temper of these people, hence the great association of the two words.

By no means do I think all liberals are snowflakes, far from it, I think all people who are quick to get offended by non-offending situations are snowflakes.

Years
The term snowflake is more applicable against those on the left than the right. I think the term originated in describing left-oriented individuals who were particularly demanding on their university campuses for accommodations, safe spaces, and such. Clearly, the use of the term has evolved to include anyone whose composure is fragile to opposing opinions.

It's important to note, however, that the term is used to question the validity of the person's emotional outburst and isn't really applicable to just any scenario where someone is offended. For that reason I don't find the term to be unwarrantedly insulting, although I am biased in that I choose to act in a way that wouldn't be fitting of the term even if I am offended.

Sir Codin

It's just like SJW, it has a clear meaning, but nowadays it's just a buzzword insult used against anyone remotely left-leaning or who are otherwise showing more restraint/political correctness than the user feels is appropriate.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
This isn't what I know the term to mean.

"Snowflake" as a derogatory term means "They think they're one of a kind, God's gift to this world", etc; usually the people who have to flaunt how 'unique' or 'special' they are are desperate for attention or just copying a multiple of others who think they're just as, or more special.

Since snowflakes have the myth of "two never being the same", that's where this stems from.

I've literally never heard it used as the OP uses it.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
Years
The term "Snowflake" is as overblown and misused as the word "Bigot". One random encounter with someone doesn't dictate they are in fact as snowflake. It needs to be shown as a thing they apply in their behavior, the same for Bigot.

People can be sensitive to topics and whatnot, but that doesn't mean they aren't open to listening. if I talk with someone about a topic that really bothers them, then what would you expect? Perfect reasoning, cause if that's the case, please hand over your "free action card". People aren't the best when they are emotional; I see it all the time and myself have been guilty of that.

It doesn't mean they are snowflakes, unless this is a behaviour that permeates their interactions and happens to hearing ideas they would deem as "dangerous" or opinions that they disagree with and therefore deem as "harmful".

It's a social issue, yes, but I think the bigger issue that's going on is how quickly people jump to "snowflake" or "bigot" instead of sitting down and clarifying/talking about it and whatnot. Like...it genuinely aggrivates me. I enjoy a good roast session and comedy thing at the expense of someone, but I always would like a discussion afterwards or informing that there is no hard feelings, no malice intent or perhaps that they just want to mock the behavior and not say the person is that completely.

Back