• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Technology of yesterday

Years
Discussion time!

What are some forms of technology that were popular at one point that you don't hear anybody talking a whole lot about anymore these days?

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
Definitely CDs and Floppy disks. When I was a little kid I've used some floppy disks, but they were already in the phase of being replaced by CDs since they could store a lot more data and I've used CDs a lot, especially for games and music.
Right now, I just use them as a backup method if, say, for some reason I can't boot off of a flash drive.

Last edited:
Years
Definitely CDs and Floppy disks. When I was a little kid I've used some floppy disks, but they were already in the phase of being replaced by CDs since they could store a lot more data and I've used CDs a lot, especially for games and music.
Right now, I just use them as a backup method if, say, for some reason I can't boot off of a flash drive.

it's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that even CDs aren't a thing anymore. I remember visiting stores that would sell a bunch of computer games on physical CDs (the sims were a big one) and nowadays... it seems like manufacturers are shipping their laptops without optical drives. that in itself is a strong statement to how fast CDs just kind of came and went.

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Floppy discs ... Oh, those things were evil. I wasn't allowed to keep my stories on the main computer when I was a kid because of the limited amount of space on the Windows '98 harddrive, and those things ate so many of them it wasn't even funny. They were unreliable at best, idiotic at worst.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
Cassette players for me! I actually found two whilst rooting through my uncle's old stuff the other day when cleaning up. I wanted to try and see if they still worked if I put batteries into them, but I couldn't find any tapes to listen to sadly.

Years
Are CDs really becoming obsolete? I mean, I know Best Buy recently announced their plans to get rid of their CD sales in-store, but for certain these things are nowhere near dead that people think they are.

Years
Are CDs really becoming obsolete? I mean, I know Best Buy recently announced their plans to get rid of their CD sales in-store, but for certain these things are nowhere near dead that people think they are.

have you really not noticed that most modern laptops dont have optical drives anymore?

Back