• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Linux, what and how?

Years
  • Ok so I recently looked at a thread asking what do we think of the Linux operation system. That really caught my attention, because I never used it, and haven't heard too much about it. So I might want to take a few steps into the ocean with this and see how I would like it.

So yeah, I mainly use my computer for gaming, and building a new PC around the start of summer. From what I saw on google, Linux is definitely not good for gaming, or at least the type of gaming I do. But I also want to develop games/apps or whatever learn some coding in any language really. And to be more productive (if that makes any sense). And Linux appears to be a little useful for that.

Ok ok, little speech thingy aside, with my preferences and activities considered, should I try the Linux OS? And I heard something about Wine being good to run some windows app or something, but obviously not all will work, or work right. And, correct me if I'm wrong, could have Windows and Linux at the same time. How does that work? Is there a switch button-type thing I could click or navigate to switch between the 2 while one in running?

Thanks for reading, I'm super curious suddenly about this :v

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    The best way might be to install a VM like Virtualbox and install a Linux distribution inside of it. That way you not only can try out Linux while still running Windows, but also spare yourself some trouble if you decide that it might not be for you after all, as you can just simply delete it.

You might need to take a deep look and play around with it over a longer period of time, though, as Linux handles quite a bit different and puts a ton of problems in front of you, especially when you're just starting out.

If you decide to stick with Linux, be aware that it can take years until you find a way to be happy with it.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • I've installed linux for various friends before. And by the way, qemu is a great VM (if you like terminals :) )

There are lots of linuxes, so use your VM and find one you like. A few to try are ubuntu, mint, fedora and manjaro (my personal favorite)

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2016
    Linux is not the ideal to learn programing for games. It's best for C/several side programming.

Years
  • I would honestly recommend running a Linux distro with the Xfce environment if you don't plan to do much with your system, if you want to try Linux out. Xfce environments are very lightweight and don't have much of any fluff at all.

Years
  • Oh yeah, Ubuntu is definitely a good start..maybe with a standard notebook and/or a desktop, but definitely not on a netbook. :P

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    Since I took up programming and fell on my face with studying ( failed the third class after being away from computers for three years ) here is my input.

ASM ( assembler ) the most popular language close to machine code. There are other languages ten times better ten ASM but this is used most often.

C is shorthand for Assembler but requires more processing power because it is a high level language. C++ is a low level language ( like ASM ) but with high moves. C++ acts like C but get better results. This is why it is used a lot.

Java ( Sun Systems ) is an operating system that is cross platform and requires little power. This is why you have phone systems with Java games. Java is C programming for the web.

You can insert ASM moves inside C, C++, or even Java ( in some cases ).

Pearl is another programming language usually found in UNIX programming.

UNIX is a low-level operating system similar to DOS. OSX, Linux, Ubunto Mint, Debian, and most of these Linux clones are all really GUI for UNIX with there own specialty.

Mysql is a database enviorment that was great until people found ways of walking around it. People still use in databases and lexicons.

usenext/ newsgroups is a text command-line info line that came before GUI web browsers. Many are still in high use today.

Terminal is the Command-line of UNIX. Command-line is the Terminal of DOS.

Windows uses something called Visual Basic ( which is not pearl ) dedicated for Windows programming. BASIC is the operating system that was before Windows and ran on C64 mostly. You can program in forms of BASIC for Windows 1, 2, 3, 95, Winter95 (97), and 98, and 98se, NT, XP and so forth as well.

Actionscript is the Shockwave Flash version of programming language. With Action Script you are able to do everything with low-level languages and high levels for SWF. Action Script 3.0 is 3d oriented. However you can use Action Script 2 and 1 moves in 3.0 ( from my understanding ). It just makes life a lot easier when making flash games or movies.

Unity is web based model that could run offline as long as Unity is installed and the programmer allows the game to run without being online. It is amazing. Like flash but you need to know programming. .............................................................................................................................................................

Being the novice we are you should install Windows for video-games but research about Running Linux/OSX/Ubunto from within Windows. However this could work vice versa. However you want to play games.

As a starter programming lessons you should focus on JavaScript as it is used in wireless devices.

You need to know math period no matter which way you go, you will need math. If you could mast physics, Geometry, and Algebra programming should follow easy. A great programmer will enjoy ANSI numbers to Hexidecimal translations.

If you plan to go to college you need to keep your grade above a 3.5 in most cases depending on the level of college.

I am not a great programmer but a flunk out.

If your like me I would stick to flash as getting a 2d game out. Otherwise I would checkout Unity as well. There is no such thing as a programmer who only masters one kind of language. Your getting to know all languages a little bit but you need to know math.

There is also programming style as well. Keep your code clean and readable. Before in the past ( the stone age, everything would need to be written down in a notebook and then typed in over and over. It was crazy and insane.

Another thing. If your going to use UNIX your going to be mastering the terminal. As you can open any window in a terminal and load the compiler and text editor ( which most UNIX OS have built in )

Again Linux ( like the cheaply popular Ubuntu ) or ( the expensive OSX ) is just a GUI front-end of UNIX to make things simpler. In UNIX you could load the necessary files in order to run any other operating system programs. However that is a lot of work to do.

Unlike wndows Linux is cleaner and simplier and made for programmers.

I would get a windows machine and just run Ubuntu when I need to use a Linux type world. It is faster ( not better) then Debian and less expensive then OSX.

Android OS is using a variant of Linux as well ( from my understanding ). This is why you can't access these phones as with the iOS phones so easy.

Another thing is the Leopard for Intel machines can install on any PC along with necessary files included. However Apple does not want you to install Leopard on non-OSX machines. It is the only cross platform version of OSX that is able to install on all machines. Meaning it can read from USB as with any OSX install. However I do not know how many people are successful with loading it on both kinds, but makes the only worlds real univesal OS. However Leopard is 32-bit on Intel.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    Your being too technical. Linux is Unix but a GUI form of Unix. While Linux might be an alteration of UNIX it is still UNIX and any other UNIX platform could sync with a Linux platform including OSX

You can run Linux in command-line mode as with OSX or BSD, or anything referencing UNIX because it is all Unix. If you went to train for Linux your still training for Unix.

Great Android is based on linux and is the reason why you could access via SSH or any other UNIX related command line references. However that just brings us back to UNIX no matter which way we go.

Java doesn't really have anything to do with the web. It isn't an OS either. Rather, it is uses a Virtual Machine to run it's code.

Java is C programming for the web. With Java you can run C and ASM code on webpages and make them look fancy. Flash can do the same thing but that is SWF. Java virtual or not is probably the better platform to learn programming on, as you can make games for Cellphones and run various instances. Point being is that you can do so much in Java and it is widely used. Java is all over the place.

Sun systems was original it's OS but instead they made Java which was a cross platform OS. This was a big thing to be talked about. Which means I could run Java on any machine with no problems with coding. You could have Java on both Mac, Windows, and any other system you want.

HTML is basic language to make webpages among other things. CSS is used to pretty up pages faster so you do not have to repeat HTML code.

MySQL is used for databases and list systems but almost anybody can read from location once is opened.

OS X El Captain or whatever is too much for lesser machines. Only Leopard is cross platform, but requires tweaking. Tiger is the last real OSX operating system before Leopard and up botched everything.

Only reason why you should be interested in newer OSes is to keep up with trends of programming. However you do not need to latest trendsetter at all. In my opinion more recent OSes have and are loaded with Spyware. Checkout Windows 10 problems. Microsoft is turning Windows into an always on OS.

derrekbertrand

PKMN Haxxor
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2017
    Your being too technical. Linux is Unix but a GUI form of Unix. While Linux might be an alteration of UNIX it is still UNIX and any other UNIX platform could sync with a Linux platform including OSX

You can run Linux in command-line mode as with OSX or BSD, or anything referencing UNIX because it is all Unix. If you went to train for Linux your still training for Unix.

Great Android is based on linux and is the reason why you could access via SSH or any other UNIX related command line references. However that just brings us back to UNIX no matter which way we go.

Java doesn't really have anything to do with the web. It isn't an OS either. Rather, it is uses a Virtual Machine to run it's code.

Java is C programming for the web. With Java you can run C and ASM code on webpages and make them look fancy. Flash can do the same thing but that is SWF. Java virtual or not is probably the better platform to learn programming on, as you can make games for Cellphones and run various instances. Point being is that you can do so much in Java and it is widely used. Java is all over the place.

Sun systems was original it's OS but instead they made Java which was a cross platform OS. This was a big thing to be talked about. Which means I could run Java on any machine with no problems with coding. You could have Java on both Mac, Windows, and any other system you want.

HTML is basic language to make webpages among other things. CSS is used to pretty up pages faster so you do not have to repeat HTML code.

MySQL is used for databases and list systems but almost anybody can read from location once is opened.

OS X El Captain or whatever is too much for lesser machines. Only Leopard is cross platform, but requires tweaking. Tiger is the last real OSX operating system before Leopard and up botched everything.

Only reason why you should be interested in newer OSes is to keep up with trends of programming. However you do not need to latest trendsetter at all. In my opinion more recent OSes have and are loaded with Spyware. Checkout Windows 10 problems. Microsoft is turning Windows into an always on OS.

Yeah same thing here as in the other Linux thread. Not even close, bro.

Back