• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What are the chances of Nintendo re-releasing HG/SS within the next few years?

Outlier

They're still the best games in the series imo so it'd be nice to see them available on the Switch's virtual console at some point but I have no clue how likely that is. I'd be willing to purchase physical copies too since my current copy of SS is starting to act up a bit. I'm not fond of paying for used games although I know you can find pre-owned copies on amazon and even those can be relatively pricey.

I excluded Platnium from the topic since I think gamefreak are more likely to remake it before re-releasing the original whereas HG/SS obviously are remakes already.

Rixe

Space Charkie
    Years
  • I don't believe they've remade a remake just yet. They remade Pokémon Yellow as Let's Go and I believe instead of remaking HGSS, they've released the originals (including Crystal) on 3DS. I think they care more about players being able to complete the Pokédex rather than the enhancements brought by HGSS.

Also if you have an R4 card/CFW 3DS, make sure you pull the save off of that cart before it dies, assuming you haven't already done so.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Would probably have to wait for them to get through re-releasing all the titles before it first. So basically that'd be R/S/E, FR/LG, and DPPt. Who knows how they feel about re-releasing remakes though, but chances are they'd do it, it's relatively easy money.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Highly doubt it. We might see a let's Go Johto variaint. Only gen 1 has got that special treatment of having remakes since it's the Og gen.

Years
  • Not going to say it's impossible, because nobody here (as far as any of us know) works at Game Freak. that being said... it is highly unlikely.

The remake trend is only going to go so far. Assuming a Sinnoh remake is indeed in the cards, who's to say that Game Freak may stop remakes altogether and focus only on original content from here on out? that, and Game Freak has never done a remake of a remake (unless I'm forgetting something). I just don't see a HGSS remake of any sort being worth the time and the resources to dedicate to unless Game Freak is absolutely sure that the investment would outweigh the costs.

That being said, it is unlikely, if only because HGSS are games that would be utilizing fourth gen Pokemon/mechanics and if anything, Game Freak are far more likely to re-release Johto with (insert whatever generation at that time period)'s mechanics instead.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Well we're up to Generation 7, soon to be 8. All "regions" have been updated to Generation 6+ mechanics save for three: Unova(Gen 5 would be turned on its head with Fairy Types. LIke Iris would be a far bigger pushover unless she get's a Mega Aggron to wreck Fairy Types hardcore), Johto(which has been mentioned) and Sinnoh. Kanto got updated to Generation 6+ with LGPE and Hoenn got it with ORAS. They could have updated Johto to Generation 6 by enhancing LGPE with the Johto region as "post-game" content or to put it different, a reverse Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver. If they had done that, I think HG/SS might have been swept aside. Still... those regions I've mentioned ultimately will get updates at some point. I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Years
  • I am hoping HG/SS will be released on Swtich as a classic game, as the game came out around 2009 in Japan and 2010 in overseas. And hopefully, Nintendo can release on Switch as the classic through Eshop.

azurefel

l o a d i n g: 15%
    Years
    • He/Him Them/They
    • USA
    • Seen Jan 3, 2024
    If I can be honest? I don't think they'll remake HG/SS anytime soon. They already remade this region a total of 2 times: Crystal and HG/SS.
    Would it be cool? Yes.
    Will we get it? It seems really slim.

What remakes I would like to see would be: Sinnoh Remakes, Unova Remakes (this one may seem a bit a ways but I can dream ^^' )

We'll never know when they'll remake another region, all we can do is hope and speculate.

Outlier

I should've been more clear guys. I meant simply releasing the ports of Heart Gold and Soul Silver, not remaking the games again. That's why I excluded Platinum since I assumed they'd prefer to remake D/P/P before giving us a chance to buy the originals again but I could be wrong. Now that I think about it a lot of Pokemon would be unavailable if they only released HG/SS so maybe I should've included Platinum and D/P. Sorry for the confusion!

Back