• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon You Have A Very Hard Time With Beating In Gyms

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2024
    Lapras is the one I always have a hard time beating and here is a true little story. In the village before the place my grandma lives there is a tough Lapras with the yellow team always defending it which makes the gym level 4. On the way back my mum had to wait in car for about 40 minutes till I finally beat it along with 3 other gym members so the gym would turn red. The next day when I came back that same Lapras trainer had got his place back at the gym.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    I also have trouble with Lapras, especially one that has Blizzard. I have trouble dodging Blizzard.

I have a Rhydon which I have named "Anti-Lapras" because it has Rock Smash and Stone Edge, both super-effective against Lapras. The problem is that Lapras (ice) moves are also super-effective against my Rhydon (ground), and it only has CP 1479 so against a CP 2000 Lapras it usually can't survive. One hit by Blizzard and my Rhydon is toast (or ice, really). Even lower CP Lapras have gotten the best of it.

I haven't faced too many Dragonites, but they seem pretty tough. Snorlax can be tough because they have so many HP. If you don't do enough damage you can run out of time. I generally use something with Hydropump.

Last edited:

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • A long time ago, there was this Pokémon called Omastar that could learn Rock Throw as a quick move and Rock Slide as a charge move.

This Omastar was super effective against Lapras and resisted all of Lapras's attacks except for the neutral-hitting Dragon Pulse.

...Today, this Lapras-countering Omastar is no longer available except for a lucky few who have managed to evolve one in the earlier days of Pokémon GO. Now Rock Throw has been replaced by Mud Shot. Rest in peace, Lapras-killing Omastar. Long live Lapras.

As for me, personally, I wouldn't say I have "trouble" with any Pokémon, per se, but beefy Pokémon like Snorlax, Lapras and Poliwrath are just a hassle to deal with because they soak up so much damage.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2017
    Definitely freaking Lapras and Snorlax in a head to head battle as these 2 are great walls of defense.

Yet the most annoying for me is Vaporeon which I don't get the logic (though stats would explain otherwise), why his brother Jolty is finding it hard to beat.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    Seems to me a Golem with Rock Throw and Stone Edge should do well against Lapras. Both rock moves should be super-effective, but are ice attacks super-effective on Golem or not? I'm not sure, it is type Rock / Ground.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2017
    Seems to me a Golem with Rock Throw and Stone Edge should do well against Lapras. Both rock moves should be super-effective, but are ice attacks super-effective on Golem or not? I'm not sure, it is type Rock / Ground.

Golem is weak against ice (1.25 times the damage).

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2017
    Lapras is never an issue for Me. Physic Slowbro take him quite well. As long as I can dodge the charge move, its an easy win, even when theres 500 difference in CP.

But Seedbomb Exxegutor is a pain since it hit fast and often. Its rare that lower CP pokemon can beat him in one on one.
    My best option always Pidgeot and Pinsir but they generally beaten before the next pokemon finish Exxegutor.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • >goes to thread
    >sees that nobody memtion mr orange dragon yet

Me disappoint. But I guess that's mostly cause I have literally no Dragon counters...

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2017
    Alakazam is annoying now

Rhydon all of a sudden got tough after the CP thing & it doesn't help that my strongest water pokemon (Gyarados) has a move set of bite & Twister.. THREE GYARADOS' WITH BITE AND TWISTER..

jenette

Jenette
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2017
    You should perhaps use an Electric type like Jolteon/Raichu/Electrode/Magneton to get 1.56x damage (since lapras is water/ice type and both types are weak to electric), or some other powerful Pokemons (without type advantage) like Gyarados, Dragonite, etc.

Lapras are indeed hard to defeat but when merged with effective dodging skills and smart attack timings, it's not that hard. Good luck!

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2017
    I can't believe nobody mention full psychic Slowbro which my 1st choice againts Lapras.
    Neutral damage with Stab
    Good HP as long as dodging charge moves
    Lapras Quick moves ineffective

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2017
    My biggest problem is that I'll be in the middle of a battle, but then it boots me out for being "too far away from gym". I guess my phone is not good enough for the game.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • It was Vaporeon at first...especially with Hydro Pump.

Now it's 3000CP Dragonite. I cannot for the life beat them, especially when they are taking over every single gym.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Blissey. Good grief, I saw one in a Gym and couldn't knock it out in time. Granted, my best attacker (Vaporeon) was sitting in another gym at the time and it was high CP, but sheesh!

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2017
    Blissey has changed gym dynamics considerably. Personally, I find her irritating.

Today I beat a level 3 gym with 3 Blisseys: 2000, 2400 and 2700 CP. What a pain! Experimenting with various attackers I found I could beat all 3 using two 2500 Machamps and two 3000 Dragonites. I am not sure I could beat a 3000 CP Blissey, because I was close to running out of time on the last one. The good news is that any Blissey can be beaten by teaming up with multiple attackers.

In friendly gyms, if Blissey ends up at the bottom, she effectively halts the gym from going up in level. Especially if it is level 7+ and needs to go up 8K.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2017
    If you have Solarbeam Exeguttor, around 2k CP, he should be very handy to terminate that Blissey, esp if you have legacy confusion move set. Just make sure you dont use the charge moves at the same time with Blussey. Hyperbeam seem charge at the same rate for Blissey.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    The usual powerhouses mentioned - Gyarados, Dragonite, Lapras, etc.

I know they're very commonly placed in Gyms but I kid you not, I was looking at a Gym the other day and literally 8 of the 10 Pokémon there were 2000/3000+ CP Dragonites

Did not bother challenging that one, lol

Back