• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] The PokeCommunity Game-Along III: The Gaming

Years
  • The PokeCommunity Game-Along III: The Gaming

Welcome back to the PokeCommunity Game-Along for our third edition! Naturally, at the beginning of a new year, we have a new and exciting thread for you with another meme title. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do for next year's name, but that's 2023's problem.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with these, here's how the Game-Along works: On the first day of each month, either one of the VG mods or myself will post a theme in this thread. This could be something as specific as a genre or an aspect of gameplay, or as vague as a general vibe. Really, just about anything is on the table. Your task is to play and beat a game (meaning you must finish the main story mode/see the end credits) that fits the theme your given by the end of the month.

For example, if the theme for the month was RPGs, you could play any game that fits that classification (Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem etc) to participate. If the theme were to be platformers, you could play anything in that genre (Super Mario, Sonic, Celeste etc). You can play any length of game, it can be a replay or a game you've never played or it can even be a game you are already playing. Whatever works for you. The only requirements are that it must fit the theme of the month and you must finish it by the end of the month.

To enter, just respond to this thread with the game you are playing and let us know when you've finished it. We'd love to see updates on your progress too! A gaming journal is a great way to do that, but it's not required.

You can join at any time during the year, and you are not obligated to participate in every month. Games are supposed to be fun, so make sure you have fun! If you're also doing the 2022 Gaming Challenge (thread pending) you can include any games you play for this challenge as part of that one!

This post will (hopefully) be periodically updated with the current theme and participants.

If you have any questions or suggestions for monthly themes you'd like to see, feel free to post in here or DM me.

PARTICIPANTS STATS

Gimmepie
    Spoiler:

Janp
    Spoiler:

Cherrim
    Spoiler:

PromptoArgentum
    Spoiler:

Devalue
    Spoiler:

tenfrogs
    Spoiler:

Dawn
    Spoiler:

Ullion
    Spoiler:

THEMES

January - Free Choice
    February - Shipping
    March - Retro
    April - Animal Planet
    May - Choices
    June - It's Dangerous to Go Alone
    July - Headscratchers
    August - Roll the Dice
    September - Stealth
    October - Replay Value
    November - Before & After
    December - Let's Go Fight God

Last edited:
    Years
  • January - Free Choice

New Year, new you... old theme. But a good one! We want to start things off nice and easy by giving you a good reason to play one of those new games you got for Christmas or when you spent an entire week's salary on the Steam Summer Sale. Don't pretend you didn't. We know.

That means absolutely anything is on the table this month! Play whatever you feel like. Just finish it before February comes around.

Years
  • Nice, I'm in again.

And for this month, I'll play... Dex. I bought it back in October and had it on my PC since then. So it's finally time to beat it.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Also back again!

I think I am going to finish up Brilliant Diamond because I feel bad that I set it down for so long when I wasn't even very far into it.

Years
  • Forgot to say, I'm also using Brilliant Diamond for this month.

Edit: And I finished it!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2022
    This is really cool, and I would like to participate!
    I would have used Pokemon Shield for this month, but I managed to finish the main story just last night so I don't think that counts... so I'll go with Pokemon Black instead! I started a replay just before the holidays but accidentally got away from it, so I'm right at the beginning. I might do one of those gaming journals for it too, but I need to look into them a bit. ^^
    Thank you for doing this, it seems really fun!

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Selects Celeste this month. Enters with doubts about liking it. Expects little enjoyment from a precision platformer. Will find out soon enough.

Edit: Completed it. Wrote a game journal entry. Quick impression: Met expectations.

Last edited:

Cherrim

Years
  • I'm finished!

I'm still deciding on the format for my journal this year, so I'll just give a short review here in the meantime which will mostly just be to say that I thought Brilliant Diamond was… a very faithful remake, which is why it was a disappointment. Been waiting a decade for these remakes and every time we got a new generation with cool new upgrades, I added to my wishlist of how I wanted to see DP remakes tackled and then they ticked basically none of those boxes. I guess at the very least I got to have a Cherrim follow me around everywhere and I didn't have to juggle 5 HMs so my team could be whatever I wanted instead of 5 things I wanted + Bibarel buuut… I just wanted more in general from the games. If this is how remakes are going to be going forward, at least now I know I don't ever have to indulge in them.

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
  • I'm cutting it real close here, but I'd like to join in!

My game of choice for January is going to be Little Nightmares, as I bought it a while ago and keep telling myself I'll get past the first part of the game. Will be restarting it tonight and starting from the very beginning so I think that counts, right? If not I can pick a new game but if it's allowed, Little Nightmares is my game of choice for January :D

Years
  • I'm cutting it real close here, but I'd like to join in!

My game of choice for January is going to be Little Nightmares, as I bought it a while ago and keep telling myself I'll get past the first part of the game. Will be restarting it tonight and starting from the very beginning so I think that counts, right? If not I can pick a new game but if it's allowed, Little Nightmares is my game of choice for January :D

Little Nightmares is an amazing game, go for it!

Years
  • Finished Dex. It was fine cyberpunk RPG. A little bit disapointing and linear main story, but the rest of the game balances it out.

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
  • I bought a Switch yesterday so I've been inundated with Pokemon games oh no D: I will be finishing Little Nightmares over the weekend, though! Really enjoying it so far, gotten a lot further in this playthrough than I've ever been.

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
  • Just in time huehuehue, I beat Little Nightmares this afternoon! Absolutely loved it and I kind of want to buy and play Little Nightmares 2 immediately but I'll have to wait until Thursday. Let's see what February brings!

Years
  • February - Shipping

It's February. That means Valentine's Day is on the horizon. This is a special time of the year for a lot of people and, as I understand it, is a month that a lot of people dedicate to shipping. That's why we're jumping on the bandwagon. For February, you must play a game that features a boat or spacecraft.

That's what people are talking about when they mention ships right?

Cherrim

Years
  • LOL good theme.

I am preeetty sure Heaven's Vault fits the spacecraft requirement, so I'm gonna go with that.

Years
  • Looks at the theme

Checks their game list

Fuck!

Jokes aside, this is exactly the type of theme that I would love to see more. Because it makes me realize that in all 50 games I put on a list, none has a (space)ship as its main focus. There is a ship level in Mafia and similarly, there is several missions taking place in a harbor in Mafia 2, Crysis also has a spaceship in it as far as I know, Maneater also features few ships on the map, Super Mario 3D All Stars is full of ship levels, I'm sure Elex and Might & Magic games will also feature a spaceship or two and so on, but none of them really takes (space)ship and makes it integral to the game. So I went to my whole game collection. And after a while and few other games like Morrowind, which starts on the ship, I found a box of Port Royale. That's a game about ships. And I was almost decided to put it as my game for this month. But then, I noticed something better. Dead Space. It takes place on a spaceship. And I never finished, because I was too afraid or got stuck. Not sure now.

tl;dr I pick Dead Space as my game for this month.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Picks FTL for this month. Aims to try something different than stacking lasers or aggressive boarding tactics. Leans towards missiles/bombs or drones. Will decide after looking at ships.

Considered replaying Knights of the Old Republic or Xenonauts. Preferred a shorter game. May be busy with Pokemon later in the month.

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
  • Looks at the themeDead Space. It takes place on a spaceship. And I never finished, because I was too afraid or got stuck. Not sure now.

tl;dr I pick Dead Space as my game for this month.

I'm gonna pick Dead Space also! I downloaded it a while ago but I got too scared to finish it, looks like that time is now >:3

Back