• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Your opinions of B/W Pokémon - Favourites and Least Favourites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyxomm

Akimoto-Kenta
Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2010
So do you guys like'em so far?
BTW, I haven't seen (clear/render) Ken Sugimori Art of the latest 5th gen pokemon...
only gigasomething:
gigaiasu.png

also notice how the sprites are always in the same pose as in their sugimori art.
[ninja edit] exept mamambou

Last edited by a moderator:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I have a feeling that this would be better suited to another forum but I just can't quite put my finger on it. However, since we currently don't have an active favourite 5th Generation Pokemon thread, I think this thread could work if that is kept in mind, (considering there isn't much else to judge on besides art for most of the Pokemon). Just try not to get off-topic by discussing Ken Sugimori's art in general.

Personally, I think Chiramii, Wooguru, Shimama, Mamanbou, Pokabu, Shikijika, the swan, the Caterpie clone (their names have slipped my mind at the moment) and a few others are quite well designed and due to that are my favourites.

Tyxomm

Akimoto-Kenta
Years
  • Seen Nov 2, 2010
^ Ok.

At first few I though Gigaiasu was some kind of Nosepass evolution because of it's colors... But now i'm glad it isn't.
I love it's design. hope it's the 3rd stage evolution of a rock line pokemon.

pokemad

Self taught hacker
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 20, 2013
I thought Gigarasu was a probopass parellel.
Loving the Gen V artwork. Very um? Gen five-y

Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2013
My favorites Are Wargle, Chillarmy, Pokabu, Shimama, Victini, Shikija, Zekrom and Emoonga.

This gen is much better than gen 4 so far...

Pikachu3828

Webmaster of The Pika Club
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2012
also notice how the sprites are always in the same pose as in their sugimori art.
[/B]
This is true most of the time, however.

I like Sugimori's art style. I prefer the washed out effect that came from when he used to use watercolours but his style remains crisp and distinct to this day. It's perfect for Pokémon because he uses bright colours and unambiguous lines which makes each Pokémon easily unique and identifiable.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 13, 2016
I liked woogurus artwork, it looks awsome - and looks like its sprite XD~!

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
Years
The art that's been revealed so far is lovely. Think Pokemon, think Sugimori, honestly. His shading and crisp lines are iconic for Pokemon fans. I think Gigiasu's Sugimori art is lovely, even though I hate-hate-hate the Pokemon. My favourite 5th gen Pokemon were pretty well-drawn as well: Chiraamii, Gear, Koromori, Tsutaaja, Mamanbou, Pokabu, Emonga.

Years
  • Seen Nov 22, 2010
I like Sugimori's style, and like how it has changed since the Red/Blue/Yellow days (For instance, his human characters nowadays seem more "organic" if you will because of smoother lines and softer curves, whereas his old characters had more sharper edges).

However, in terms of pokemon design, I think the older generations, specifically I and II, were better. Starting with III, some pokemon designs became too complicated, or overdone. It worked in Gen III for two reasons: the habitat was an island, where more exotic looking species were to be expected, and also the bold, highly patterned pokemon were not dominant. This began to change in Gen IV, as more and more of those pokemon began to dominate, but some were still kept simpler.

However, so far, except for Pokabu and the grass type starter, all of the pokemon I have seen are very unappealing to me. Too complicated and overdone. I prefer the Gen I style pokemon much more.

Rankurusu

WHITE VERSION AT LAST!!
Years
My favorite 5th gen pokemon are: Rankurusu (obviously), Kibago, Gigaiasu, Tsutaaja, Zekrom, and the broccoli monkey thing that I can't remember the name of.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
i like most pokemon designs but the first time i saw a munna i got freaked out
but now im used to it and its not that bad.

SukoSuNa

Nelson Mac Champ
Years
However, in terms of pokemon design, I think the older generations, specifically I and II, were better. Starting with III, some pokemon designs became too complicated, or overdone. It worked in Gen III for two reasons: the habitat was an island, where more exotic looking species were to be expected, and also the bold, highly patterned pokemon were not dominant. This began to change in Gen IV, as more and more of those pokemon began to dominate, but some were still kept simpler.

However, so far, except for Pokabu and the grass type starter, all of the pokemon I have seen are very unappealing to me. Too complicated and overdone. I prefer the Gen I style pokemon much more.
That is exactly how I think of the newer generation of pokemon.
The best designs came from generations 1&2 because they were simple and relatable to real animals.
Charizard was just a simple dragon.
Blastoise a turtle with canons.
Also through out the evolution line they didn't change drastically. (Although I noticed in 3rd gen they were getting complicated.)
If you look a Mijumaru's evolution line. It's 3rd evo doesn't look anything like the first In terms of form.

But, the only one I like so far is the green one with tusks.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
That is exactly how I think of the newer generation of pokemon.
The best designs came from generations 1&2 because they were simple and relatable to real animals.
Charizard was just a simple dragon.
Blastoise a turtle with canons.
Also through out the evolution line they didn't change drastically. (Although I noticed in 3rd gen they were getting complicated.)
If you look a Mijumaru's evolution line. It's 3rd evo doesn't look anything like the first In terms of form.

But, the only one I like so far is the green one with tusks.

Mijumaru 3rd Evo? That hasn't even been announced. If you are talking about that artwork, that Serebii had. That is fake.

Anyway, Sugimori artwork and design for the new Pokemon are very interesting and unique, IMO. Tsutarja, Giga-whatever, and Wooguru, are Pokemon I'm very interested in right now.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I like the Sugimori artwork of the Gen V Pokemon, especially:
-The starter Pokemon
-Zoroark
-Shimama
-Rankurusu
-Meguroko
-Kibago
-Wargle
-Victini
-Reshiram
-Zekrom

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
Years
i like The legends art
Gigaisu
Zorua
Meguroko
Rankurusu
Koromori
Kibago
Miruhoggu
Wooguru
Mamanbou(wow)
Yanappu
Kurumuri

yea alot i like

SukoSuNa

Nelson Mac Champ
Years
Mijumaru 3rd Evo? That hasn't even been announced. If you are talking about that artwork, that Serebii had. That is fake.

Anyway, Sugimori artwork and design for the new Pokemon are very interesting and unique, IMO. Tsutarja, Giga-whatever, and Wooguru, are Pokemon I'm very interested in right now.

Really?
Now I feel like an idiot...

To make it worse.
I didn't see it on Serebii I saw it in a Facebook note...
o////o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back