• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Retro Red

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years

• RetroTitle.png

Spr_1b_001.png
    »Introduction

A couple of months ago I began work on this side-project, which aimed to fully recreate Kanto from R/B/G/Y on a FR engine. All overworlds, maps, animations and tiles are going to be restored to their former glory (and in black and white). The Sevii Isles will also be included, because I'm sure they will be fun to recreate R/B style. As of now, I have completed all routes and cities prior to Fuchsia, though not all movement scripts have been refined to allow for the new maps and some 'areas' are currently incomplete.

Spr_1b_004.png
    »ROM

Code Base: Fire Red [BPRE]
    Language: English

Spr_1b_007.png
    »Story

Walk in grass. Get Pokémon. Obnoxious rival. Train Pokémon. Beat leaders. Transform nerd. Go on boat. Go in caves. Gamble. Pray. Bicycle. Cheap safari. Hostile takeover. More Leaders. Surf to Island. Surf to other island. Abandoned mansion. Last leader. Obnoxious rival rematch. Big cave. Elite 4. Champion.

Gotta catch 'em all.​

Spr_1b_025.png
    »Screenshots

OaksLab.png
    ViridianForest.png
    Pewter.png
    MtMoon-1.png
    MistysGym.png
    GuardDuty.png

Spr_1b_151.png
    »Help

I'd like to have a music inserter/ looper on this project as the retro songs would make it feel more complete. Seriously, can you see Kanto without the plinky tunes? I know I can't. Please register your interest so we can get this aspect of the hack rolling.

©2010 DrFuji​

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I think the idea is awesome. And the screens look very promising. I can't wait to see how you recreate the Sevii islands and the other extras in FR/LG. Good Luck.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Looks awesome, although as KingDoubt said, the FR/LG hero looks out of place.

Anyway, the text window looks off. You'll want to edit the cursor, window tilemap and font palette (maybe even the font, although I guess you could count that as part of the FR/LG engine).

Are you planning to insert the original battle sprites too? I can help with that; a quick sprite change shouldn't take me too long. Greyscale versions of G/S sprites (as they would look if G/S were played on a black and white Game Boy) for the Johto Pokémon would work; not too sure about the Hoenn ones, though (devamps?).

It would be awesome if you edited the palettes of the attack animations to use only the 4 shades of black/white/grey that the Game Boy used, too. Devamps of the entire interface (Pokédex, bag, etc) would be even better.

EDIT: A challenge for anyone skilled with ASM: recreate the Red/Blue title screen fully!

Years
  • feels like the old days of black and white, interestingly used making this seem like the classic, now to change the main character to black and white, would make it complete classic fire red.

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
    Years
  • I love it :D
    Will the overworld spirte be changed?
    Looks awesome, although as KingDoubt said, the FR/LG hero looks out of place.
    feels like the old days of black and white, interestingly used making this seem like the classic, now to change the main character to black and white, would make it complete classic fire red.

Looking back, I can't believe I forgot to put this in the first post - I'm only using the male FR overworld at this point to further enforce that this is on FR, rather than the original. Don't worry, I am going to be changing the the main overworlds, and I was thinking of using Kris from Crystal as the female OW.

You know what I think?
    I think you're awesome.

oh you

I think the idea is awesome. And the screens look very promising. I can't wait to see how you recreate the Sevii islands and the other extras in FR/LG. Good Luck.

Thanks for that, I'm really looking forward to recreating the Sevii Isles :D

Anyway, the text window looks off. You'll want to edit the cursor, window tilemap and font palette (maybe even the font, although I guess you could count that as part of the FR/LG engine).

Are you planning to insert the original battle sprites too? I can help with that; a quick sprite change shouldn't take me too long. Greyscale versions of G/S sprites (as they would look if G/S were played on a black and white Game Boy) for the Johto Pokémon would work; not too sure about the Hoenn ones, though (devamps?).

It would be awesome if you edited the palettes of the attack animations to use only the 4 shades of black/white/grey that the Game Boy used, too. Devamps of the entire interface (Pokédex, bag, etc) would be even better.

EDIT: A challenge for anyone skilled with ASM: recreate the Red/Blue title screen fully!

I'd prefer not to change the font, even though it would be more accurate. I actually got around to changing the pallete last night, so I guess the cursor and tilemap will be changed soon.

At this point, I'm undecided about the battle sprites - I've thought about using the G/S/C sprites in greyscale, but the fact is that they will be smaller than FR/LG sprites, the background will be pure white and the screen will be much larger than in R/B/Y - This means that the battlescreen will be basically empty.

Already planned all of those things :P

No ASM experience here.

That would be hardcore. This devamp looks good, but I dunno about the music. You have done an amazing job of the graphics. Here is a mild suggestion: Do the Sevii in GSC graphics. It's 8-bit too. The battle backgrounds could also be done, making them pute white and doing the health bars too. I can't wait for a beta.

I'd prefer to keep the Sevii Islands in R/B graphics, since it is an R/B/Y devamp. Prgress is going rather quickly on the map side of things, since all events are already programed and the maps are made up, so on that basis, a beta shouldn't be to far away.

If you wan't I could insert some retro music. I've done it before. I'll find a vid in a sec ;)

Really? Thanks for that - Sappy refuses to run on my computer, so I'd be very grateful if you could lend a hand. I'll send you a PM later ;)

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2011
    XD You know. I've been working on something similar for a few months too. I am trying to make an exact Red on FireRed (calling it Red: Widescreen). I'll post it when I'm finish, but I won't TRY to overshadow your's. XD Good luck.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    I second using G/S tiles for the Sevii Islands (converted to greyscale, of course). They already use G/S music and have G/S Pokémon, so using the tiles too would be pretty neat.

Even if you decide not to use older battle sprites, I still think something should be done about them. Full-colour battles in a greyscale hack would seem very out of place. The GB(C) sprites aren't that much smaller than the GBA sprites (56x56, compared to 64x64); 8 pixels won't make too much of a difference (especially since it's just 4 pixels on each side). I'd be happy to make a bunch of different sprite patches (original Red/Green sprites, updated Blue sprites, Yellow sprites, and separate Gold/Silver sprites), so players could choose which sprites they want.

Years
  • I plan on making a thread for Nostalgia Red, somewhat similar but in Fire Red graphics. As in Pokemon Red in Fire Red graphics. I think I might have De-capitalization in it even though that was in Generation 4. But the ROM Hack looks okay to me.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • Congradulations on having such a great project. I'm normally not interested in this sort of thing but your project has been so neatly made and packaged. :cer_smile:

I DON'T think the FR/LG hero should be replaced. I love the anachronistic juxtaposition of the modern hero with the older tiles.

The text should be changed to greyscale though... It does seem pretty out of place.

Keep up the great work.

astar_01

Creator of Pokémon Grey
    Years
  • Congradulations on having such a great project. I'm normally not interested in this sort of thing but your project has been so neatly made and packaged. :cer_smile:

I DON'T think the FR/LG hero should be replaced. I love the anachronistic juxtaposition of the modern hero with the older tiles.

The text should be changed to greyscale though... It does seem pretty out of place.

Keep up the great work.

I believe you just contradicted yourself. :)
    You said the the FR/LG Overworld shouldn't be replaced yet you find the text color out of place. :P
    Sorry, it just made me laugh.

This is a real nice project!
    Keep it up.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
  • I believe you just contradicted yourself. :)
    You said the the FR/LG Overworld shouldn't be replaced yet you find the text color out of place. :P
    Sorry, it just made me laugh.

This is a real nice project!
    Keep it up.

Not really because the FR/LG hero works well, while the blue text just looks ridiculous. :cer_wink:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • PokeMasterLM, please don't revive threads that have been dead for over a month. Oh yeah, and try to put more effort into your posts while you're at it.

Closed

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back