• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ads inside threads? Really?

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Ads inside threads? Really?

If I were about to create a new account on this forum, I'd feel pretty tempted to not sign up at all and go elsewhere.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • My God, that looks horrible. Yeah I'd love to remove them. If no-one in a position to do so replies here (i.e., Rukario) then I'll make a thread with the other admins.

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    "At PokéCommunity, we promote creativity! Let us prove that to you, non-registered member, by shitting ads all over people's content!"
    Spoiler:

For real though, I did notice this issue when designing threads over the last while. I chose to ignore it, but there's better places for ads. Such as outside of the content people are trying to read. Currently they're a UX disaster where they're located. Ads inside users' posts is disjointed and simply makes content less accessible.

I'd also like to point out that Waka is right, a non-registered member doesn't have any idea that those ads are only displayed for them. Disruptive ads are something that could immediately turn someone off registering on the forum.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Those have actually been there for over a year. You're probably only noticing now because supporters didn't use to see them, I dunno why you see it. o.0 Also they're only in the first post.

I was browsing on an iPad which was not mine and was therefore not logged in. It's especially visible on these devices because the screen width is substantially smaller.

Like seeker said, this is a really subpar experience for new users. I get the need for ads, but not when they're moving content out of the way.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    I was browsing on an iPad which was not mine and was therefore not logged in. It's especially visible on these devices because the screen width is substantially smaller.

Like seeker said, this is a really subpar experience for new users. I get the need for ads, but not when they're moving content out of the way.

I'll go and quote Rukario's post again...

Note: those 'first post' ads ONLY show up if you are a) not logged in, b) not registered (i.e. a guest)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I will agree that those ads would turn me off if I were a guest wondering about joining. It's not obvious they turn off when you register, and even if it was it just discourages me in general. Good to hear a bunch of you admins agree with that too. I don't mind ads as a rule, but I do mind intrusive annoying ones.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
  • I've ran into issues with ads myself and I think sometimes they slip through the 'a) not logged in, b) not registered (i.e. a guest)' part of the forum sometimes. Normally, not an issue but yeah, when I was looking at this page interestingly.

Spoiler:

It did have an ad pop up and I was logged in. I don't know it was settings on my part, but its the only thread I see ads in. :(

Back