• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pop Culture Asylum

Status
Not open for further replies.

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
Years
  • Dunno why everyone imminently sided with Johnny when I voted him.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years

• step0002.jpg

Acknowledgements and trivia

Acknowledgements

Firstly, thank you all for playing. This was one of the most fun experiences I've had on PC (and that includes all my s-mod shit which, as Klippy will tell you, is also pretty fun when it's not tear-out-your-hair stress-inducing) and I hope you enjoyed playing it as much as I enjoyed preparing and watching everything. I absolutely loved GMing and generally feeling like a puppetmaster to you all, so I'll definitely be making another game at some point.

Before we get to trivia, I need to thank Nakuzami and jdthebud. Naku's Faeries and Legends provided the inspiration for me to go all out crazy with literally insane characters and roles and whatnot. jdthebud's Pie Mafia acted as a grounding element for keeping people informed with regular updates, clear posts and military timekeeping. jd also acted as a sounding board before and once he'd been killed off. Also, I stole most of his CSS and some of the rules, so <3333333333. But seriously, thank you both; couldn't have done this without you.

I also need to thank the good folks at Pastebin for keeping all of my CSS/phase posts in check. My biggest fear going into this was screwing up the CSS and typing something up in the reply box and getting it all wrong and notifying all the wrong people about certain things. Thankfully, that didn't happen. Thanks, Pastebin! When my IRL friends all leave me, I'll still have you!

Trivia

Here's what you've been waiting for, the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WiBWX7QmZpO7zOzuHdiZVJ8b9eRdLVm3EGGZHM-YkGM/edit?usp=sharing

It contains all night actions/day votes, as well as a separate tab detailing cop visits, visions, secret messages, messages from Feathers, lynch overrides and the breakdown of John McClane's presents, so you can see who was telling the truth about their lumps of coal received!

The following roles were cut:
    • Nurse Carol Hathaway (Nurse) - Patients
    • Harry Callahan (Paranoid Cop) - Patients
    • Father Jack Hackett (Priest) - Patients
    • Sophia Petrillo (Granny) - Patients (And you guys were all terrified of her non-existent presence!)
    • Marie Laveau (Voodoo Lady) - Asylum staff
    • Dr. Nick Riviera (Politician) - Agent of Chaos
    If Marie Laveau had been in the game, to make the role a little less broken, I put the following caveats on her voodoo word of the day: (i) the word must have been five letters or more; (ii) the word could not be 'Culture', 'Asylum', or 'Mafia'; and (iii) the word could not be the username of a player/character currently alive in the game.

The Discord chats were named Asylum Staff Room ('Serving up black coffee, cigarettes and evil'), Crazy Cop Chat ('Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when they come for you?') and Manson Mansion ('You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy').

There was only one secret message sent over the course of the game (which was probably better for my measly PM inbox), but it was a doozy. Realising the heat was on them after two days of intense conversation and reads, the mafia reckoned they were done for. In order to ensure their survival, they proposed an alliance with the cult via Wiicked's messaging action and promised not to night kill while the cult recruited all of the mafia players. And it may have worked too... if it wasn't for the fact that Nick Wilde poisoned NightKrow the night before!

Here's the transcript of the planning and message: http://pastebin.com/gt9VHb9Q (Note that Nick Wilde is called 'Alley-oop' in this, for some reason. I don't pretend to know what goes on in that boy's mind, and I've met him in person!)

With Nurse Carol Hathaway cut, Emily Dickinson N0'd and Blanche DuBois culted on N0, there were very few roleblockers in operation which, in hindsight, was probably good for my sanity. (Although, if you were given a key and wanted to use it, you had to PM me with [Lock me up daddy], so it's sad that I never got to read those sweet words.) The mafia twice tried to roleblock gimmepie, but as his action was to be used during the day, they were told that the roleblock had no effect both times.

If lloebet had been night killed (which Johnny drunkenly advocated for... the night after he'd been lynched), there would have been no vote the next day, but an event called 'The Secretary's Lament', where you could post the name of a player (alive or dead) and a night, and I would send to you who their night action affected for that period (e.g. Abby, N2). If they didn't have a night action, you'd be told that. Similar sort of operation to the Christmas event, in that you could choose to reveal or keep it to yourself or lie or whatever. It would have been fun!

Abby nearly outed himself as a cop on N0 by posting his investigation requests in the UG Discord chat instead of the Crazy Cop Chat. Had I not been online at the time to ensure a swift removal, who knows what might have happened!?!?

Most of the votes for Charlie Brown on D1 came from the mafia. Good job, guys!

Though Seth Rollins made his triumphant game-saving manouevre on N4, he was nearly called into action two nights before. Originally that night, the mafia had decided to poison Lelouch and night kill EvilChameleon. That would have resulted in a Mongo confrontation and, when I flipped the coin, Wiicked was the one to go. I wrote an intense battle scene involving shapeshifting and tail whips and fisticuffs and managed to find some Harry Potter quotes and everything. But... then the mafia decided to pull a Missy Elliot by reversing their poison and kill votes, resulting in my having to write a new phase post on the Tube when I was returning back to London after Christmas. Fun times!

I tossed three coins during the game. One a bit too early, as described above, and another two in quick succession which ended up having the largest impact on the final result.

To pick the roles, I mainly went down the Epic Mafia role list, found ones that I liked the sounds of and/or I knew could be represented by a figure from popular culture and smushed them all together, with a bit of tinkering to achieve balance. I really wanted to include Robot Santa from Futurama as a Santa, but reading that description made him sound broken and there were already 25 roles to begin with!

And that's probably it for trivia. If I had to pick a defining moment, EvilChameleon not saving NightKrow from death (after he said he would in the thread), probably takes it for me. If EC had saved NightKrow, I think the game would have progressed, and possibly ended a lot differently than it did. And Crane, of course. Always 'Crane'.

What were your favourite moments? If you have any feedback as to my hosting style, game balance, levels of communication, hair cut, tax return, general life choices etc, please let me know. I'd love to hear it! And thanks again for playing.

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
  • Oh, and the present lie, I figured I'd get sussed as the cop after voting Nick for ages

Years
  • GO TOWN, WOO!

I had a lot of fun. Good job as a first time host Mr. Cat Dog! It was a really cool theme for the game and not terribly unbalanced either, although it was a little town-tilted I have to admit.

I told you guys that Johnny and NightKrow were probably scum Day One by the way. Just saying. Actually I never voted a town player during the game lmao.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • smh I got converted when I watched the Night Kill, and both Abby and Wiicked visited them. I figured out Abby was the cop pretty early on that phase when she voted for Nick "randomly". Alas, it would have been gamethrowing to reveal Wiicked at that point, since I wanted the mafia to survive long enough for the cult to win. EC not healing Nightkrow was so sad.

Years
  • XD thanks rabi C:
    My favourite moment when Rabi sided with johnny and i saw gunner viewing thread and called her out about johnny and rabi. Gunner was already dead XD
    Awesome game MrCatDog ^_^

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Regarding feedback: The game was indeed town-sided and I'll point out a few things that contributed to this.

1- Town had too many PRs.
    2- Too many investigative roles. As a side note, the role 'The Watcher' is considered to be overpowered amongst many other communities and with that I agree.
    3. In my opinion, a role that can change the course of an entire game, such as 'The Granny' should never be kept hidden, it should always be written in the OP. Since almost every setup that includes this role, revolves around it.

That being said, there was something that could've made this game a lot better balance; making it a closed setup. In a closed setup, the mafia can bullshit claim roles and it's up to everyone's wit to decide if those claims are real.
    A town miller would've helped with the balance too, or a tailor. Maybe if roles weren't revealed upon death we would've had it easier too.

Anyway, take all of this with a grain of salt since I'm just a player like us all. The game was great and again, thank you.
    Thanks for the feedback. Going into this, I'll be honest, I assumed the balance was too mafia-sided (what with the poison and the original intention of having a politician that poisons AND a voodoo lady), which was why I put lots of roleblockers in. So it's good to hear this feedback to reflect in future games. I'm thinking possibly a semi-closed set-up similar to Pie Mafia for my next one. I like the idea of players having partial knowledge (hence the Christmas event and the proposed one mentioned up top) but really hate the idea of people knowing absolutely nothing about the game. Maybe that's just a personal preference on my end, but a completely closed set-up (especially if I were a vanilla townie) would drive me insane were I to play such a game.

In addition to the watcher and granny mentioned above, are there any other roles that could be considered a bit too powerful and should make note of when searching for roles for my next game?

Years
  • Santa, Clockmaker and Treestump are all probably roles you're better off avoiding also... even though I love the Treestump. A good alternative to the Granny is the Veteran which can only use the Granny ability a set number of times.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back