• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other Fandoms] "The Dando Cafe" ✧NEW✧ A Monster Hunter Club

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I kind of want to reserve final judgment of Rise until after seeing how the Sunbreak expansion goes, but Capcom isn't gonna have an easy time making a MH game that beats GU for me.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I kind of want to reserve final judgment of Rise until after seeing how the Sunbreak expansion goes, but Capcom isn't gonna have an easy time making a MH game that beats GU for me.

I definitely agree.

And as much as I like Palimutes they don't save the game for me. MHGU has become the definitive game for me and I'm dreading the day they announce all servers online will shut down.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • MHGU has become the definitive game for me and I'm dreading the day they announce all servers online will shut down.

This is mostly true, MHGU is the most complete MonHun experience so far barring Stories 2 if you are fine with switching the genre. XX/GU has a quite large roster compared to the other games (even if we consider the loss of subspecies and of the aquatic combats, and Lunastra and Gogmazios not returning, it's still ~65% of the cast of the entire franchise up to then), a fair number of maps (even if we consider the lack of underwater and the shameful adaptation of the Dunes), and ofc Prowler Mode.

I wouldn't worry about the servers being shut down, yet. It'll be a decent while before that happens, considering last I checked GU and XX are both still moving a decent amount of online. And since XX/GU has local multiplayer they're already online capable without the need for Nintendo's servers via Switch Lanplay (or via retromigrating the save to 3DS MHXX if your Switch is not CFW-capable).

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I wouldn't worry about the servers being shut down, yet. It'll be a decent while before that happens, considering last I checked GU and XX are both still moving a decent amount of online. And since XX/GU has local multiplayer they're already online capable without the need for Nintendo's servers via Switch Lanplay (or via retromigrating the save to 3DS MHXX if your Switch is not CFW-capable).

I'm so glad people like you exist.

Venia Silente

Years
  • I'm so glad people like you exist.

I'm so glad I exist too, I wouldn't be able to play Monster Hunter otherwise :p

In more recent news:

* I just cleared the last stretch of Key quests in MHGU HR7, so I'm off to face Nakarkos sometime soon.

* I just posted two entries, 8.8 Too Much Water of my Ode to the Third World: Gobul and Lagiacrus.

* I also started posted adaptations to the Ode in Spanish, aka "Glorioso Español de la Corona de Navarra, Castilla y Aragón" (mostly kidding; it's going to be mostly-neutral LatAm Spanish) but it will be a bit of a while before they show in AO3.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm so glad I exist too, I wouldn't be able to play Monster Hunter otherwise :p

In more recent news:

* I just cleared the last stretch of Key quests in MHGU HR7, so I'm off to face Nakarkos sometime soon.

* I just posted two entries, 8.8 Too Much Water of my Ode to the Third World: Gobul and Lagiacrus.

* I also started posted adaptations to the Ode in Spanish, aka "Glorioso Español de la Corona de Navarra, Castilla y Aragón" (mostly kidding; it's going to be mostly-neutral LatAm Spanish) but it will be a bit of a while before they show in AO3.

Lol true.

If you want help with Nakarkos, gimme a time and place and make a lobby! I'd be happy to help. :) Also use your best Dragon weapon and always pick up the dropped shiny bits! 99% of the time they're going to be ammo but every once in a while you get a Nakarkos Soul (I don't remember what it's called rip).

I've been taking a hiatus on MH. Well, kinda games in general tbh. But man one of my favorite things is to go into hubs that have like -5HR players and playing healer/tank for them.

Years
  • So, I finished MHS2 yesterday. It was great monster capturing game, but most of the story and characters were not great. Not at all. But it was still better than modern Pokémon. I plan on exploring the post game and getting few Elder Dragons. My eyes are set on Kirin right now.

Venia Silente

Years
  • Lol true.

If you want help with Nakarkos, gimme a time and place and make a lobby! I'd be happy to help. :) Also use your best Dragon weapon and always pick up the dropped shiny bits! 99% of the time they're going to be ammo but every once in a while you get a Nakarkos Soul (I don't remember what it's called rip).
    Thanks, I joined a Nakarkos Lounge recently and managed to DO EEEET and you were right, I got exactly one (1) Soul from that after like eight runs! So I'm a G-Hunter right now but still a very inexperienced (and poor in money) one.

I'll get in touch with you to at least share FCs or lounge trends, just so we can see each other online? And ofc program a lounge for sometime. I still need help with Deviants and Events.

I've been taking a hiatus on MH. Well, kinda games in general tbh. But man one of my favorite things is to go into hubs that have like -5HR players and playing healer/tank for them.
    ^ THIS SO MUCH! Jumping into lower ranks online and helping random people is one of the funniest, most comfortable MonHun experienced I've ever had. I've taken to play doot de doot for randoms these days when I want to help (or play IG / DB when I want to learn).

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Monster Hunter Rise DLC announced: Sunbreak!

Releasing June 2022, this expansion sports improved hunting, new characters, new locations, and new (and returning) monsters! After seeing the livestream, what are your first impressions?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It's cool that Astalos is gonna be returning in Sunbreak (can we get all 4 of The Fated Four though, we already got half of them now, might as well add in Glavenus and Gammoth while they're at it)

Seems a little weird to me that apparently you can start the Sunbreak content after completing Serpent Goddess of Thunder when that's not the end of the high rank MHRise plot

Also hope that the layered armor shown as part of that deluxe kit can be bought separately, I kinda want that, but fuck getting the whole kit

Venia Silente

Years
  • Monster Hunter Rise DLC announced: Sunbreak!

Releasing June 2022, this expansion sports improved hunting, new characters, new locations, and new (and returning) monsters! After seeing the livestream, what are your first impressions?

1.- ASTALOS
    2.- Lunagaron is the Tobi × Zamtrios child we didn't know we wanted.
    3.- I really, *really* hope they can fix the hunter-monster balance at least when it comes to wirebugs. Monsters need actuable wirebug counters and the ability to attack faster (so they can compete against a 4-peopel team) and use vertical or just higher attacks.

It's cool that Astalos is gonna be returning in Sunbreak (can we get all 4 of The Fated Four though, we already got half of them now, might as well add in Glavenus and Gammoth while they're at it)
    We'll need a new (or old) ice map for Gammoth, since he functionally doesn't work on the Frost Islands: it's supposed to be layers of water and murky terrain, so he'd sink right in and he doesn't realy have access to a place to hide (the water cave is too exposed). My bet for making Gammoth return would be either the Arctic Ridge, or a new mountainpass map.

Glavenus works just as well in the Lava Caverns as he does in the Shrine Ruins, so noting specially needed there.

Also hope that the layered armor shown as part of that deluxe kit can be bought separately, I kinda want that, but **** getting the whole kit
    Fortunately I won't have to wait since deluxe kit tends to be installable just like a normal DLC on homebrew consoles. The larger issue is extra save bonuses. But hey, you can always crowdfund your DLCs!

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Glavenus works just as well in the Lava Caverns as he does in the Shrine Ruins, so noting specially needed there.

Fortunately I won't have to wait since deluxe kit tends to be installable just like a normal DLC on homebrew consoles. The larger issue is extra save bonuses. But hey, you can always crowdfund your DLCs!
    To be fair, Glav also appears in Jungle, Desert, and Frontier environments too! So there's definitely room enough for him to show!

I think the biggest factor for me is going to be pricing though. I want the bonuses obviously, but without a clear indication of how much more game we're getting, I'm not ready to 100% commit.

Also, been about a month (maybe more) since I last played and I still managed to solo a Hyper Lagiacrus in sub 10, so that felt fuckin awesome haha. Not my lowest time, but my muscle memory is still there!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

Apparently Gore Magala is gonna be in Sunbreak too

Venia Silente

Years
  • That's good, I just hope his turf wars with relevant monsters don't just amount to reusing the Mangomallow schema.

Anyway, I've made a bit of progress in the demo fighting the new Elder, Malzeno. no, not Manzano. I can confirm that Switchaxe is still comfy, and for the veterans, that the honey is real.

Spoiler:

Venia Silente

Years
  • General impressions after having been stuck in Sunbreak mode for like three days. Some stuff will be spoilerblocked just in case.

The gameplay

• Master Rank is definitively easier than previous games' G-Rank, but the difficulty still steeps up just as steadily. The introductory fight can be done in 15~20 minutes if you bring bombs and pick the right spiders. Up to tail end of MR2 my only cart was against Khezu.
    • There's an extra memory unlock feature for Palicos and Palamutes that is tremendously useful. Though it also means I no longer have to rotate out of my three favourite palicos, so in certain senses it's also a loss for everypal else.
    • You can now see the flying paths from Great Wirebugs on the minimap. Kind of unfortunately, this gives away one secret in the Jungle map.

The Monsters

• Subspecies are officially back, and at least retaining some of the nominates unlike in World where named subspecies and variants would fully replace the nominate subspecies.
    • The crab is mighty.
    • They put turbo boosters on some of
      Spoiler:
      longer sequence attacks, which makes some punishs / followups no longer viable if you are fighting them in an open area, as you won't be able to get up to them in time.
    • I might be mistaken but it seems they gave one monster at least an actual counter move?
      Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Finally made it to MR 5 in Sunbreak today. Gonna try to make the whole Malzeno set and upgrade my some of my sets before progressing further. Though I'm not sure which Greatsword to make rn....

pkmin3033

So after about 70 hours with Sunbreak - 30 to push my way through the "story" and another 40 to hit MR100 and unlock the last monster, I have some thoughts I thought I'd share:

Spoiler:

I'm pretty much done with it for now until the August title update drops, but I'm up for doing hunts as and when if anyone wants to - just message me on Discord or something.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Spoiler:
    btw, what armor pieces did you end up using? Just been using Narga+the Rathalos helmet for LBG ever since I got access to those, was wondering if maybe there was something else I could potentially be using at this point (which is MR20 right now).

pkmin3033

btw, what armor pieces did you end up using? Just been using Narga+the Rathalos helmet for LBG ever since I got access to those, was wondering if maybe there was something else I could potentially be using at this point (which is MR20 right now).
    My set at the moment is this:

Vigil Kugel
    Wroggi Helm X
    Barioth Mail X
    Diablos Vambraces X
    Rathalos Coil X
    Baggi Greaves X
    Weakness Exploit 2 3-1-0 talisman

Plus decorations, gives me Attack Boost 4, Crit Boost 3, WEX 3, Maximum Might 3, Pierce Up 3, Rapid Fire 3, Reload Speed 3, Recoil Down 2, Evade Extender 2, and a few skills I don't need, although WIndproof 3 is nice to have in some hunts and Stamina Surge 1 never hurt. I got pretty lucky with my talisman, but you could get WEX 3 on that build fairly easily if you dropped something else if you can't get it through your talisman...and tbh it's kinda unnecessary with Narg anyway, you can hit for 100% affinity with just level 2 I think.

The funny thing is that Malzeno's lower rank LBG actually keeps pace with Avidya Eye, and this is without a boost - I was using that before I hit MR 100, because to upgrade it to Rank 10 you need Scorned Magna parts. I'd also recommend thinking about Gore Coil/Storge Greaves in a set because Bloodlust/Coalescence is pretty potent and very easy to proc as a gunner. Not as reliable or easy as Maximum Might, but it gives you an attack boost too so if you're using Narg's LBG then it'd arguably be better. Plus there's that wonderful red health recovery. It pairs nicely with Resentment and even Dereliction too, although as I said I'm personally not a fan of *constant* health drain when it's not really necessary unless you're trying to speedrun..and actually I'm not even sure if that is the current meta. I don't really keep up with it, and if I actually followed it religiously then I definitely wouldn't be putting Evade Extender 2 into my set. xD

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    got this as an early birthday present:
    Spoiler:

funny thing is that I'm sort in the mood to get back into GU finally now that I don't have much to do in Rise/Sunbreak

Back