• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No Man's Sky

Years
  • lafPTGX.png

No Man's Sky experienced one of the most controversial launches in previous history due to its lackluster launch. However, 3 years later, the game is still continuing to receive free updates:
    The latest update, launched today (August 14, 2019), seems to be a major update, revitalizing the game - see the official patch notes. It adds VR support, expanded multiplayer, creature riding, industrial base building, power and logic for bases, and many, many more. Here's an article summing up a few of the big changes.

Are you still playing this game? Did you play it at launch? Is this new update enough to spark your interest to pick it up again?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    yess I am definitely picking this up sometime this week - my friend has been raving about it for a while and I was dubious because of the notorious launch, but it is looking great and this kind of game is right up my alley, so I am so excited to try it. 50% off on Steam and GMG too, I believe!

Cid

Years
  • I honestly admire how they kept going despite the backlash. Hearing everyone's thoughts and providing free updates as a response is probably the most noble way to go about it. I do hope to pick this game up someday because I love space and any game that takes me to space is a dream fulfilled.

I'll check out some gameplay videos of the newest version, and I'll add my thoughts after.

But yes, kudos to them.

Years
  • My game is almost finished downloading/updating, so I'm pretty excited for that. While I've been waiting for it to finish downloading, I found a list of the previous updates, and added them to the first post. The Abyss one, especially, looks pretty neat. :fufu: I remember enjoying exploring underwater.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • god i worked at gamestop during its launch and hype and boyyyyy that was a wild ride. we got so many back in as trade ins bc people hated it and i remember our preorders were out the roof, but. yeah that's a game that sure didn't live up to the hype lol. my co-worker back then got it and really enjoyed it and would send me videos of weird shit he'd find in the game, but he's the only one i knew that bought the game at launch and actually enjoyed it. i wasn't aware they were still giving the game updates, which i do have to give them kudos for bc they could have easily just backed the fuck out of supporting it after the miserable reception of the game.

it's not a game i've ever played personally but i kind of wanted to own a copy just bc the cover is really nice and i'm an aesthetic bitch. it's not my kind of game though, unfortunately. i'm too easily overwhelmed when the game gives me a vast world and an array of things to do without a more streamlined story or goal. if not for that, i'd probably take advantage of that sweet deal just for curiosity's sake.

Qu4ntumSh3rd

Herald of the Nine
    Years
  • I never played it a launch, kinda worried when i heard how bad it was. 2 years later i got it for christmas after NEXT droped and i lovd it. Took me all day to download BEYOND, and sady the Hub seams to not be working correctly, but I do like many of the changes cept for the base power.

That is going to be a pain to fix.

Years
  • Yeah, the Base Power Generation stuff is weird. I'm not sure I like the idea of a bunch of wires running across my base. :s

Years
    • Age 28
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I got it at launch and sadly haven't really had the motivation to pick it up since, regardless of the updates. But — might get around to updating it and playing soon.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I got it at launch and sadly haven't really had the motivation to pick it up since, regardless of the updates. But — might get around to updating it and playing soon.

If you already own it, you might as well give it a go now after updating it~ while there are still things I wish were different, it's pretty much not the same game as you got at launch.

Qu4ntumSh3rd

Herald of the Nine
    Years
  • Yeah, the Base Power Generation stuff is weird. I'm not sure I like the idea of a bunch of wires running across my base. :s

I got it set up- for some reaaon though the doors refuse to open when powered. The good rhing is that you only have to put cords to 1 structure and it goes to the entire base.
    Other than the Clipping that happens when you leave/enter your frieghter, It all pretty great. I can get plenty of nanites and I really like the technolocgy charts.

Qu4ntumSh3rd

Herald of the Nine
    Years

I got it set up- for some reaaon though the doors refuse to open when powered. The good rhing is that you only have to put cords to 1 structure and it goes to the entire base.
    Other than the Clipping that happens when you leave/enter your frieghter, It all pretty great. I can get plenty of nanites and I really like the technolocgy charts.

Oof I quoted you wrong.

Years
  • I was kind of turned off by the initial launch of No Man's Sky, and never ended up picking it up, even though it was a game I was looking forward to. I love games like Mass Effect where you can explore in space though, so maybe it's something I should look into picking up- even if I've got a million other games in my backlog right now.

Years
  • I got it at launch and sadly haven't really had the motivation to pick it up since, regardless of the updates. But — might get around to updating it and playing soon.
    If you already own it, you might as well give it a go now after updating it~ while there are still things I wish were different, it's pretty much not the same game as you got at launch.
    What Rika said. It's definitely a different game than the one I got at launch. Muuuuch better.
    I'm going to have to keep messing around with building bases. I'm trying to find a cute planet I like :thonk: I've got this one that's pretty desolate/desert-y, but I kinda really like it now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Started playing over the weekend and I just stopped at the powering part of the tutorial! I'm liking everything else so far, I can see how it won't be a game for everyone since it does feel pretty grindy and about resource management a lot at the moment.
    I'm going to have to keep messing around with building bases. I'm trying to find a cute planet I like :thonk: I've got this one that's pretty desolate/desert-y, but I kinda really like it now.
    Pink grass planet is the dream

My friend says there will be planets with no hazards that will deplete Hazard Protection on your Exosuit, so I am definitely trying to just beeline through the quests so I can leave my current galaxy and find a planet like that to call home, too. Kinda hurts that I am going through the base tutorial quests and wasting all my resources on this planet that I likely won't come back to lol, but I just want to get to the hyperdrive.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Started playing over the weekend and I just stopped at the powering part of the tutorial! I'm liking everything else so far, I can see how it won't be a game for everyone since it does feel pretty grindy and about resource management a lot at the moment.

My friend says there will be planets with no hazards that will deplete Hazard Protection on your Exosuit, so I am definitely trying to just beeline through the quests so I can leave my current galaxy and find a planet like that to call home, too. Kinda hurts that I am going through the base tutorial quests and wasting all my resources on this planet that I likely won't come back to lol, but I just want to get to the hyperdrive.

You don't need to do that :B I just kept flying until I found a Paradise Planet and built my base there. This game is sandboxy, and the quests and "plot" is just there to help you out.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    You don't need to do that :B I just kept flying until I found a Paradise Planet and built my base there. This game is sandboxy, and the quests and "plot" is just there to help you out.
    Isn't there only 3-5 planets in a galaxy? I couldn't see any more planets even after flying out a fair distance from the cluster of planets I started from, so I thought I should leave to find more. :p

edit: or is that star system?

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Isn't there only 3-5 planets in a galaxy? I couldn't see any more planets even after flying out a fair distance from the cluster of planets I started from, so I thought I should leave to find more. :p

edit: or is that star system?
    The galaxy has infinite stars almost. Like, more than you can ever count. And you can visit them all!

You need to fuel your hyperdrive, craft antimatter and casing and then the hyperdrive fuel from that iirc. Then press "M" when you are in space (unless you're on PS4 idk how it works there) and you'll get to the galaxy map.

The 3-6 planets or so are just one single system out of couuuuuntless.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
    Years
  • I bought this at launch, and it made me more wary than ever of buying games at launch. I don't honestly care what they've done to improve the game. They lost me years ago, and will never get me back. Too much deceit and nonsense for me to forgive as a consumer.

Qu4ntumSh3rd

Herald of the Nine
    Years
  • Started playing over the weekend and I just stopped at the powering part of the tutorial! I'm liking everything else so far, I can see how it won't be a game for everyone since it does feel pretty grindy and about resource management a lot at the moment.

Okay, you will want to follow the story till you at least complete awakenings ans then alone amongst the stars, other wise a Glitch may occur that will permentatly remove the main story from your mission log and render it un completable. This happened to me and I realized it really far into the game, so too late to just reset when you're rolling in money.

Back