• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Best Pokemon to Use in GSC?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 17, 2021
If someone never played gen 2 games before and they really want have an easier time with the game, what pokemon would you suggest using? I always say to use what pokemon you like but try to keep your team balanced, but if they just wanted to beat the game who would you say?

One pokemon I'd say is Lapras. The really powerful water/ice type that has access to the best HM Surf, and (since it wasn't a TM this gen) can learn Ice Beam by leveling up. Also, compared to a lot of pokemon in the early gens, can learn a ton of great TMs like Thunder and Psychic. Dont like those moves? There's also Body Slam, Confuse Ray and my personal favorite Perish Song. Having trouble with Chuck's Poliwrath? Perish song. After 2 turns switch out. Jasmine's Steelix? If Surf doesn't beam him in one hit, Perish song and switch out. Claire's Kingdra giving you trouble? You guessed it, Perish song... And Lance doesn't stand a chance... Has enough to eat a Thunder (if it doesn't miss) and Dragonite 4X weak to Ice? Sorry, big guy.

Who are some more?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Spoiler:
I think Gyarados & Alakazam make the game pretty easy. Alakazam is especially overpowered lol Unfortunately there isn't really an "easy" option for Grass types though.

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I almost always use Feraligatr and Magmar in my plathroughs. They compliment each other well and you can pretty much throw anything else into the team with them and it'll be good to go. I try to stay away from bug and grass type pokemon in gen 2 though, since there's not actually a lot of decent ones to use.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
It comes late in the game, but I really liked using Jynx. Ice punch is a special attack in gen 2, so it's useful from a low level and can kill most things in one hit. On top of that, it gets a 75% accuracy sleep move.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Ursaring in Crystal, high 130 base attack and obtainable early as a Teddiursa in Dark Cave

Totodile in general has an easy time with most important battles

Skarmory is a beast wall

Ampharos is well rounded electric

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Definitely try and get an Ampharos, unless you're playing Crystal which doesn't have Mareep iirc =( I always picked Cyndaquil as a starter and went with Union Cave Lapras as my water-type. If you really want a grass-type on your team, there aren't that many that spring to mind, so maybe pick Chikorita as your starter and go with Magmar for your fire-type =)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It comes late in the game, but I really liked using Jynx. Ice punch is a special attack in gen 2, so it's useful from a low level and can kill most things in one hit. On top of that, it gets a 75% accuracy sleep move.

Unless you are playing Crystal ;) If I get lucky with a Smoochum I might use Jynx. I mean logically it is awesome at any point in the game.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 1, 2021
Unless you are playing Crystal ;) If I get lucky with a Smoochum I might use Jynx. I mean logically it is awesome at any point in the game.

when i was new in pokemon, I accidentally gone inside inigo platue with only gynx and graveller.You dont belive. but i defeated elite 4 with gynx and graveller only.it was surprize for me, but thx to gynx sp stats, gravellers physical. especially against lance s flying mons haha..

Back