• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dusklands - A Fantasy RP

What is the preferred Gameplay style

• Full Sandbox

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Partial Sandbox (Convoy method below)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Linear

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PastelPhoenix

How did this even happen?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
No fancy CSS yet, I want to get some general interest and feedback beforehand.

WIP map:
Spoiler:

This land bears a curse that seeps into the very soil
From the rule of the Thrice-Damned House Drangolin.
Decadence and foul experiments shook the very core of this once great kingdom
and now the remains are left to darkness.
Lycans prowl the woods, dead walk the streets, halls of the ancestors lie infested with the vampiric and profane.
Innocents live in fear of the horrors their leaders have allowed to fester
trapped in the lands their forefathers once found refuge.
And yet, others willingly enter this blighted land
some seek fortune, other redemption.
A few even seeking to study the accursed.
To wander into these lands is to walk into hell itself.
But that's what you wanted, isn't it?
Welcome to Druica.

Dusklands is a dark-fantasy RP taking place in the Kingdom of Druica, a once noble kingdom lead to it's ruin through the decadence and madness of it's leaders. The land is afflicted with all manner of beast and abomination, finding themselves at home in the darkness that has befallen the land. Cults and monsters are a fact of life for those trapped within it's borders, at least those who survived the fall.

And yet others willingly walk into these lands for some purpose: be it glory, gold, or god.

You are one of the adventurers who wanders these lands, seeking to fulfill whatever purpose that brought you here. Druica draws both the bold and foolhardy alike, from all corners of the globe. Be your purpose noble or self-serving you will still need blades, bows, and magic to survive in this kingdom.

As for mechanics, Sandbox seems the most appropriate, with threats popping up to break up the monotony. These threats will affect Druica as a whole, although they aren't mandatory if one wishes to avoid the crisis.

Magic will be in play, but much of it is up to the person writing. Magic was common before the fall, and many practice magic in strange ways. This is not a full magic system RP, so the focus isn't on magic as much as it is just another tool for your character. I would prefer the strength of magic somewhat low, enough to protect and use, but not a miraculous event.

Magic comes in several schools: Arcane, Elemental, Radiant, Necrotic, Void, Natural, Fey, etc.

Really rough right now, but I am suddenly much more tired than when I started this. I would like to hear a lot of input or ideas, make this more of a discussion than a raw "I would want to play this" type of interest check (which is in part why this is so barebones). I do enjoy working with other people's ideas, and often your ideas are much better than what I could come up on my own.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
Years
Maybe build a history for a Druica first? Also, a list of creatures found could be helpful in reimagining the land and probably the whys of the RP since this is focused much on creatures.

A bounty hunter player comes to mind.

Years
Magic and monsters and we get to make it our own? I'm intrigued! My question is: what kind of adventurer can we be? Must we be humans, or may we be monsters?

You've given us a blank slate, and a dozen ideas spring to mind. Picking just one will be a challenge.

jombii

Years
Magic and monsters and we get to make it our own? I'm intrigued! My question is: what kind of adventurer can we be? Must we be humans, or may we be monsters?

You've given us a blank slate, and a dozen ideas spring to mind. Picking just one will be a challenge.

ohh, playing as a bounty hunter monster is exciting. You get to kill your fellow monsters for loot. There must be a dark backstory behind that.

PastelPhoenix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Well, I can't sleep quite yet, so I'll tackle some early questions.

A Brief Overview of Druica
Druica is a kingdom settled on the very western shores of the Altean continent. Druica was founded by human settlers taking advantage of the largely flat coastal plains and the accessibility to the sea. The earliest Druicans expanded to the mountainous North and down the the southern forest, which help provide security against rival clans, and later kingdoms.

Druica grew into a large merchant empire, largely due to the massive amount of coastline it occupied. While most of the goods flowing through the kingdom were foreign, Druica sustained itself on the trade taxes and many of it's citizens opted to work as security and infrastructure for these trade companies. Druica's lax trade laws (compared to their neighbors) as well as the hospitality of a people utterly dependent on your business made the kingdom a favorite among traders, leading to the creation of the Noble Druican image.

The end of Druica can likely find it's roots traced all the way back to the transfer of power to House Drangolin. Ruling Houses rarely changed in Druican history, and the longest running rule was that of House Ettica. The last Ettican ruler, King Dervin, ruled during a time where his house was severely depleted in members, and his end ultimately came without a solid line of inheritance. In his will, Dervin passed the throne over to his advisor, Saroin Drangolin. The Drangolins were a house shrouded in controversy, Saroin usually seen as the voice in the king's ear behind every action of ill-repute or controversy during the Dervin's reign.

Despite flaring tensions during his rein, Saroin was no fool and managed to lead Druica to ever more prosperity. Despite his success, many speculated that he had sold his house to a devil or other evil entity for power, finding Dervin's illness and willingness to name his advisory heir over any member of his extended family. I wasn't until a protest over a wildly unpopular tax was violently and forcibly that rumors of the Drangolin's ties with the darkness were more than a whisper, thus earning the Drangolin's the nickname "the Damned".

Saroin's grandson was much less subtle about his interest in the darkness. A man fascinated by death, he sought to legitimize the art of Necromancy. Under him a royal commission of Necromancers was founded to find practical uses for the art, beyond human suffering. His goals were noble, or rather as noble as the necrotic arts can be; he sought to create a utopia where the dead served the living, who were then free to pursue interest that they would otherwise be too busy with labor the accomplish. The Grandson's dream of a peasant less and free future were ruined by a revolt spurred by rumors of dark experiments and armies of the dead being formed, and ultimately the grandson was slain by his own cousin and had his name stricken from the history books. Even with noble intentions, many consider his ambitions another stain on the family, making them the "Twice-Damned".

History was quiet since that bump of activity. Druica continued to accumulate wealth, many of which going to line the pockets of the friends of the current king. The image of the kingdom, once noble, became that of wild parties among the aristocratic elite, and where money could buy a free license for all sorts of business. While the trade empire continued to flourish, a darker underside was starting to show through the cracks.

The fall itself was ushered in the the last King of Drucia, Desious Drangolin. Desious was a paranoid man, always afraid that someone was scheming to take his power. At the time of his reign, many of the forefather decision in the interest of gold had left severe impacts on the land. Large cuts to the military and weapon production sectors in favor of foreign mercenaries lead to many disgruntled ex-soldiers, many of whom took to banditry out of both necessity and to spite the kingdom that had left them to dry. Many of the mercenaries tried to exploit the crown for more money, and turned to banditry themselves when their "offers" were refused. Without a strong military, the hidden practices of necromancy introduced to Druica by Saroin's grandson had a resurgence, as many of the less moral practitioners made their presence more public. To make matter even worse, the curse of Lycanthropy took a deep hold in the forests of Druica, without armed soldiers to weed out their communities.

This situation, as well as a general lack of anyone that he could trust, lead Desious deeper into his paranoia. He continued to lash out against groups he considered plotters until one day he finally did attract an assassin. The assassin failed to kill Desious, but the attempt justified all of the King's actions in his own mind. Out of paranoia induced madness, he called for a festival to celebrate the harvest and perform ancient rites to ensure a good crop next year, gathering many of the strongest mages in the kingdom to this event. He then sabotaged the equipment and materials so that instead of life and growth, the event would spread blight and darkness. A final act of revenge for the world out to get him.

The next assassin succeeded in killing the King, but the damage was done. The corruption brought monsters into the land, and with trust in the crown completely destroyed, the kingdom shattered. Many who could leave did so immediately, while others reveled in the chaos. Now Druica lies as a blighted ruin of it's former self, a seed started with the ambitions of a house and ending with the madness of one man.

Must we be humans, or may we be monsters?

Monsters sound fine, as several will have the potential for more human like characteristics. Also including standard fantasy stuff: Elves, Dwarves, Drow, and Tieflings (the latter so less common). They're just not the... main group of settlers, although the population of Druica has changed quite a bit since the fall.

Also, going to post more monster stuff tomorrow. I know it's dreadfully... blank right now, but I think I started with too many ideas and couldn't really put it into words too well. I wanted to start a base and build from there, realize what I was missing. Not just throw a lore bible at people and tell them "read it". I've always enjoyed more interaction with creation, and this sort of scatterbrained approach can hopefully help me not overbuild something and end up making something only I would want to play.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
I adore fantasy worlds with buckets of lore and lots of world to explore, write about and flesh out. As anyone who knows me is well aware of, haha.

If I felt like I had the time to jump into something like this upon its released. I have an interesting idea for a character cursed with lycanthropy. How exactly would it work in your world? Is it completely feral and uncontrollable? Or is there a way to harness it and exert some modicum of domination over its effects?

PastelPhoenix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
I adore fantasy worlds with buckets of lore and lots of world to explore, write about and flesh out. As anyone who knows me is well aware of, haha.

If I felt like I had the time to jump into something like this upon its released. I have an interesting idea for a character cursed with lycanthropy. How exactly would it work in your world? Is it completely feral and uncontrollable? Or is there a way to harness it and exert some modicum of domination over its effects?

Lycans aren't damned to becoming mindless beasts, there is the ability to resist some of the urges. The first few transformations are completely 0-100%, they change from fully human to fully beast and the urges of both, losing all control under the moon. The more their human state starts to feel the impulses of their beast state, the more control over the transformation they have. At this state a "half" form starts to become accessible to them; where they're largely human but some bestial aspects such as claws, fangs, and increased endurance.

The main source of madness from the curse comes from the urges at the back of one's mind when they're in their human state, tempting them to become beast once again. Legs begging to run when one sees the open wild, itches and pains from parts of their body begging to transform, a brief moment where the people you love and trust appear as nothing more than meat to hunt; all are common symptoms that build over time and corrupt the lesser. The strong of will can control their urges, although many have to cut loose in their half or beast forms where it is safe to do so to keep them from becoming overwhelming.

But still, the problem of the full moon exists. This is what breaks many of the lesser willed. Even the strongest willed cannot resist the effects of the Moon, and will turn feral under it's influence if left unchecked. There exist potions to allow the human mind to remain in control during the transformation, but it cannot stop the transformation from happening. These potions are difficult to brew, even though the use relatively common ingredients, so unless one has a dedicated source, they can be difficult to secure normally. The potions have to be taken the night before the moon is full, but they will remain in control during the awful experience. The potion has other effects, however. To be a human mind the the body of a beast is alien, for starters, and many never learn to manage the alien sensations with their human minds. Worse still is experiencing the pain of transformation, with none of the numbing that the curse provides the beast's mind. The pain often leaves the accursed broken in mind, torn between losing control and having to experience that pain yet again.

Many give into the urges and from these factors alone, but it is possible to fight the curse/

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
Years
A very classic and compelling take on werewolves. I love the idea of having a bestial form that's very powerful but almost impossible to control when it brings about these primal, bestial impulses. Like Freudian psychology in a way, with the human side representing the super-ego, the beast representing the Id and the ego being trapped somewhere in between.

I'm always down for a bit of fantasy writing, so toss this RP up and it'll be one I'll have to consider.

PastelPhoenix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Also, a minor bestiary for those who wanted it.

The BlightSpawn
These monsters breed within the blighted lands hidden away from civilized life. With much of Druica's nature being blighted, these monsters have been able to expand their numbers greatly.
Spoiler:

The Blood Courts
It's no secret that many of Druica's aristocracy turned to vampirism during the falls to preserve their life an wealth for eternity. Now they continue in isolation, living the same lives of lavish decadence they had before the blight. That is... until the hunt begins. After all, no wine can compare to delicacy that is fresh blood.
Spoiler:

The Undead
Necromancy always existed under the flag of Druica, long hidden behind locked walls and spoken of in whispered tones. The fall only brought this seedy underworld to the surface, no law to crack down on their experiments any longer.
Spoiler:

Ending it here for now, I still have some Demons and Draconic enemies to write up, however.

jombii

Years
Hmm, there's a lot of humanoid monsters around. I like the possible politics and power-playing in creating a vampire character, possibly a count. Although, from the lore, I couldn't see a monster apt to become a bounty hunter lol.

will the RP include a monster along the lines of a shapeshifter? How will that come into play?

PastelPhoenix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
This is why I did want more of a discussion type interest check, as I am unfortunately pretty bad at coming up with unique beings that fit the bill of sentient, but are not humanoid (largely as I am a fan of humanoid mosters and can see them more easily banding together in a cohesive threat than others).

As for the shapeshifting, doppelgangers and shapeshifter-themed changelings can definitely mix in. Both, however, are limited to humanoid shapes and the latter may be adapted for a different type of monster altogether if I do include it. If you're wanting some kind of man to beast type, we can try to create something original with it. Right now I'm just going through my archives of species ideas and checking on some common fantasy trope creatures to tweak.

jombii

Years
This is why I did want more of a discussion type interest check, as I am unfortunately pretty bad at coming up with unique beings that fit the bill of sentient, but are not humanoid (largely as I am a fan of humanoid mosters and can see them more easily banding together in a cohesive threat than others).

As for the shapeshifting, doppelgangers and shapeshifter-themed changelings can definitely mix in. Both, however, are limited to humanoid shapes and the latter may be adapted for a different type of monster altogether if I do include it. If you're wanting some kind of man to beast type, we can try to create something original with it. Right now I'm just going through my archives of species ideas and checking on some common fantasy trope creatures to tweak.

Well, I'm talking more of animal-morphing. Not really into monsters per se, but natural stuff like dogs and boars. See beast boy from teen titans. I know there's some kind of fantasy species out there who can do stuff like that.

Years
Well, I'm talking more of animal-morphing. Not really into monsters per se, but natural stuff like dogs and boars. See beast boy from teen titans. I know there's some kind of fantasy species out there who can do stuff like that.

Just from memory, creatures that can do that are the Phasm from D&D, and the naagloshi (or skin walker) from Native American folklore.

PastelPhoenix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Oh god, I completely forgot about Naagloshii. I think they'd fit in pretty well, they'd just need some kind of downside with their power most likely, to sort of fit a darker theme of power for a price. Forgoing the D&D lore (descended from werewolves) in favor of the Navajo lore (a witch committing a heinous sin for the power of skinwalking) might work, if you're comfortable with it.

If not, my original idea involved a sort of corruption of normal people with the Fey. They can transform into animals, but something just seems off about them to normal people, like most Fey. Alternatively, strong instincts are done with werewolves, but can also apply here. Same with being drawn to the rivalry and struggle of the Seelie Court and the Unseelie Court, being constantly pushed by their bodies to join one side or the other.

jombii

Years
Oh god, I completely forgot about Naagloshii. I think they'd fit in pretty well, they'd just need some kind of downside with their power most likely, to sort of fit a darker theme of power for a price. Forgoing the D&D lore (descended from werewolves) in favor of the Navajo lore (a witch committing a heinous sin for the power of skinwalking) might work, if you're comfortable with it.

If not, my original idea involved a sort of corruption of normal people with the Fey. They can transform into animals, but something just seems off about them to normal people, like most Fey. Alternatively, strong instincts are done with werewolves, but can also apply here. Same with being drawn to the rivalry and struggle of the Seelie Court and the Unseelie Court, being constantly pushed by their bodies to join one side or the other.

Oh I like skinwalking. I can play a cursed skinwalker who needed to kill someone for the power and resorted to bounty hunting to compensate for him/her being an outcast

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
The entire premise reminds me of Bloodborne's gritty tone.

I know this is a pretty heavy suggestion that isn't contributing to the lore, but I wonder if you're able to stray away from the typical sandbox format for this RP? Disregarding the problems of an open-world sandbox that people might voice, I just feel we've been getting too many RPs that follow this structure. It'd just be nice not to have such a huge reliance on the characters who are pretty much left to drive their own arcs. Exploration of a world is way more fun when tied to a consistent plot, because I don't have to keep asking myself "what exactly is my purpose in this RP" and inevitably grow tepid overtime.

I really like the idea of our characters being trapped within this kingdom, so there's the probable incentive to escape. I think most of the story could focus on that goal, though this is just the simplest idea I could take from what's currently present. I could see this having potential as a genuine horror survival (provided you'll be aiming for that) and it's one that can actually come to an actual conclusion, so it'd be easier to shape out a character to reflect that.

I'm digging the idea that we can play as other species. I actually think it'd be interesting to overhaul the magic system entirely and either have its purpose invoke the supernatural abilities we boast as non-humans or even have those replace magic entirely. Also, since everyone is basically asking "can I play as X", why not just simply our options to Human and Monster? The latter deliberately being left open to interpretation so you can allow players a lot of leeway for creativity. I personally would love to potentially play as an eldritch abomination from a Cronenberg film, which I feel doesn't even have a specific category outside "WTF IS THAT".

Alternatively, since you make it sound like as though the land of Druica is "cursed". Why not expand on that so that it affects our characters too? Whether through psychological turmoil or a gruesome transformation or a combination of the two, our characters could develop unnatural feats from exposure to Druica's environment but find themselves on the precipice of becoming a permanent monster or some other severe repercussions. This provides justification for powers and it also serves as a stronger motivation for our characters to leave the kingdom as soon as possible.

Anyways, I'm just basing this on what's written thus far. I'm not entirely sure what direction you'll be pulling this RP through, so bear with me if whatever I provide isn't helpful.

PastelPhoenix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Sandboxes are becoming a bit... too much. I have a love-hate relationship with them, but I'd also have to work towards a good idea for a more linear campaign. I have the idea of reaching the capitol as the actual goal, and several event ideas that are more suited for the PCs being group together, but I've been a bit hesitant to pull the trigger.

I could try to work off of Glaciate's playstyle a little, a more limited sandbox. It's more work for me each event, but it would tie together the characters in a common area. To everyone, any more input on this? I feel one of the problems I had with Glaciate was both not pushing people to post, as well as not moving ahead when I should have and letting it stagnate in one area. If we were to hypothetically move to this style, what do you feel like would be a good timeframe to move on?

As for being trapped, while I did mention several people as being trapped, I did want to leave it open for people to create characters with a goal that's actually pushing them into the kingdom. I've always been a fan of "If you're going through Hell, keep going", where the character's goal is so important to them that they're putting themselves through horror after horror until they either complete their mission, or break along the way.

Also, for cursed, I am definitely interested in ramping up the psychological aspect of it. I'm a bit lazy right now (and a little under the weather), but I do have some more... psychological creatures, and some schools of magic can be damaging to psyche.

Finally, I'm not 100% on *playing* an Eldritch abomination... But you are completely free too indulge in their services and even sell yourself (essentially just asking to start human before going off the deep end). Heck, when I do the write up for magic I'd either make void magic the Eldritch option, or just split it off. Not opposed to otherworldly mind shenanigans at all.

Ech

Years
  • Age 104
  • Seen Oct 30, 2018
Sandboxes are becoming a bit... too much. I have a love-hate relationship with them, but I'd also have to work towards a good idea for a more linear campaign. I have the idea of reaching the capitol as the actual goal, and several event ideas that are more suited for the PCs being group together, but I've been a bit hesitant to pull the trigger.

I imagine this is how a majority of people feel about sandboxes, lol. I can understand the appeal in simplicity and putting emphasis on player characters to drive the story, since I imagine that alleviates some responsibilities as GM. But I feel like this is the same reason it's pretty easy to get lost and demotivated as a writer? Also, I really think we have like too many sandboxes.

Anyways, I'm digressing. If you do plan on shaping this RP with a more focused goal, I'd be interested to see what exactly you have planned. Since this is a workshop and not just an interest check, I don't see the harm of getting feedback from everyone to clear any doubts you may have and to see if the objective is something that feels feasible for players.

PastelPhoenix said:
I could try to work off of Glaciate's playstyle a little, a more limited sandbox.

One of the things I enjoyed about Glaciate were the mechanics behind a convoy, how the player characters would need to return back to this hub. I thought it was a great way of keeping people in check while allowing them freedom to explore the world around them. It was a neat device that sadly never got to be utilized; I actually hoped we could even orchestrate events aboard our convoy, to break up the monotony of just tackling on mission after mission.

I can't imagine you bringing a convoy into this setting, but I feel a decent equivalent would be a caravan or a guild. Something that binds our characters into the same faction so we have a reason to group up so we're not all stuck everywhere around the kingdom.

As for a timeframe, I feel like that depends on a few factors. But I think the struggle of pushing forward in a RP is that as GM, you are pretty much forced to wait for every player to post. This can get incredibly stagnant because you'll always get that one player who drops off the face of the planet (in Glaciate's case, that was almost everyone), whether it's negligence or because they are genuinely busy. I imagine it's very difficult to figure out when's a good idea to push forward with the crucial GM post and I feel like the only rational solution is to limit players to a reasonable number so everything is easier to manage. Not only do I believe this is easier for a GM, but it's easier for players to keep track of events. Like, I can't get over the fact when a RP hits almost TWENTY INDIVIDUAL PLAYERS and they all have to post before plot advances, but that's never addressed as a legitimate issue.

That said, I'm perfectly okay with Songbird making sixty characters to compensate for the low player count.

PastelPhoenix said:
As for being trapped, while I did mention several people as being trapped, I did want to leave it open for people to create characters with a goal that's actually pushing them into the kingdom. I've always been a fan of "If you're going through Hell, keep going", where the character's goal is so important to them that they're putting themselves through horror after horror until they either complete their mission, or break along the way.

Mmm, the only reason I'm kinda against this is that it would mean players will certainly act on completely different objectives in the RP. I believe characters should have different intentions behind their actions to create a dynamic, but their objectives should more-or-less be the same so everyone is always on the same page and they all work together to keep the story focused. By working together, I don't necessarily mean our characters are always gonna be locked in moments of camaraderie and constantly leech on each other, but rather that our characters share an incentive by working towards that same end goal; there's no risk of us all bouncing about and being aimless, or incessantly asking the GM to hold their hand due to some conveyance issues.

I used the whole "escaping the kingdom, else you be doomed to damnation" as an example because I feel it's pretty easy to shape a character's drive around a sense of urgency. But I suppose you could rework this idea of our characters going to extreme ends for their own personal goals by making it a requirement for the cast to work together, albeit this is a contrived set-up without proper justifications. I do find this idea interesting, since it means the entire cast is driven by desperation and that feeling could escalate and change drastically over the course of the story depending on the variables.

PastelPhoenix said:
Also, for cursed, I am definitely interested in ramping up the psychological aspect of it. I'm a bit lazy right now (and a little under the weather), but I do have some more... psychological creatures, and some schools of magic can be damaging to psyche.

Ooh, that's exciting! I really like having abilities that can affect other player characters mentally that isn't blatant mind control or anything that basically "forces" someone to act a specific way. I like to think of this is a presence that influences our characters and encourages us to write in different ways in accordance. It's a really fun way of reacting, I feel.

Last edited:

PastelPhoenix

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
Thinking on Ech's ideas. I'm putting up a vote to copy the convoy system from my previous RP (may it Rest in Peace) Glaciate. The basic idea is to limit the sandbox, focusing on moving from a more defined area to another, giving sandbox freedom while also keeping the players together. Events plague the convoy/caravan, helping develop an actual plot and to more or less promote cooperation. I do plan to move faster than Glaciate ever did, though.

In this case, the players will be part of a caravan traveling Druica, be it for the gold that follows the trail, or to follow their own end.

The old roads of Druica are occasionally frequented by Caravans, moving outside goods and aid throughout the country and helping provide shelters to those able to leave the land behind. These caravans are especially preyed upon by those looking to secure a quick coin,
or even a free meal. There is strength in number, however, and for many these loose alliances give a chance to those who would be overwhelmed on their own.

The Caravans attract all manner of rabble, bringing the most unlikely of bedfellows to the same campfire. The rich and poor, weak and strong, civilized and savage, saints and the damned; all break bread together in the caravans.

And here we find you, whether fleeing the horrors that consumed your life or willingly pushing yourself further into hell for some grand goal, pitting yourself against the darkness on the old roads.

-----------------

For a small other update, I want to list some other creature types that are slightly rarer in Druica, but will likely show in some form another while I prepare a more detail explanation of the schools of magic.

Demons
The smell of sulphur pervades the air, and the remains of a horrifying massacre hint at the intervention of these monsters.

Demons are monsters brought forth from the twisted hells from a sorcerer either seeking to harness their power or merely wishing to cause chaos. Demons can be bound to the will of a powerful mage, but it is a constant battle to maintain that control. Eventually the sorcerer will break, and the demon will be free to roam the land.

Demons come in many shapes and forms, from the simple Imp to inscectoid Banshee to even the tank-like Titan. Demons posses magic in some form, although many inhabit more monstrous form than humanoid. Killing a demon is an impressive feat that not many can boast, and the sight of one often causes chills and doubts to creep into the greatest of warriors, although many employ auras of fear to debilitate their enemies.

When defeated, some demons may even offer assistance or to bind to their would be slayers. This is most assuredly a trap, and deals with demons never end well for the mortal.

The Seelie Court
The beauty of nature has been destroyed by man and it's allies. The corruption and those who caused it must go at any cost. It is time to show that beauty and nature can protect itself.

The Seelie court is a faction of Fey beings and their druidic allies who seek to liberate Druica, and eventually the world, from those who brought about the blight. This war knows no innocents, those who refuse to submit to the superiority of the Fey are just as guilty as those who willingly spread the darkness in their eyes.

The Fey who lead the Court consist primarily of beings such as Fairies, Nymphs, Dryads, and the plants and animals of the Fey. Normally the Seelie court is sealed off to all non-Fey, but the scale of the war has caused them to form an alliance with the various non-Fey Druid Circles and practitioners of Natural Magic for a common goal... At least until the war ends.

The Unseelie Court
Bloodlines should be spread, not manicured in some short-sighted attempt to maintain "purity". The future of the Fey lies in change, uplifting other races with the gift of blood and bringing them into the Court.

The Unseelie Court is a faction of Fey beings who take advantage of the Fey blood's ability to take root in any creature to spread their progeny throughout the land. Whether through interbreeding with other species or raw injections of Fey blood into the local populace, merely possessing some quantity of Fey blood is enough to join the Court. The members of the Court see the blight as yet another method of change, and openly embrace "uplifted" members of Blightspawn.

Extensive corruption of the Fey blood within them as well as wanton interbreeding has left many members of this court grotesque and twisted. Primary members of the court include corrupted members of the Seelie Court species, Pixies (corrupt Fairies), Kelpies (corrupt Nymphs), Twigjacks (corrupt Dryads), Gremlins (Uplifted Goblins) and other uplifted creatures.

As with all who willingly intake the blight, madness runs in the veins of the Unseelie. They're often irrational, and cannot see why others wouldn't want to partake in their Fey ancestry like they do. While not as malicious in nature as their Seelie cousins, they present a unique threat all of their own.

Angels
Love they god, fear thy angel,

Angels are perhaps the deadliest of all beings in Druica. They vary rarely visit the mortal plane, but the blight has seem to have drawn their attention. Angels possess awful power, and a complete willingness to use it on any beings, good or evil, who impede their mission.

Most angels take the form of a multi-armed, multi-winged, featureless humanoid. A hole in their chest carries the sacred flame of radiance that fuels them. This is merely the preferred form for visiting the mortal plane. Their true form is often abstract and lacking any coherence between individual. One may appear as a collection of wheels circling the sacred flame, another as a mess of impossible shapes, and yet another as a mass of human faces.

If an angel is spotted, that mean that something or another is going to die before it leaves the plane. Trying to stop an angel alone is suicide, and armies have even only managed to make it retreat. The preferred method to engage an angel is to don't do it at all, just leave it be.

Back