• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Autism and Disability Rights

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
Years
Do you think autism and disability rights are important or should be brought up?

Personally I think they're necessary because autism and people with disabilities have such a strong stigma surrounding them. That and the fact the it's rarely brought up.

Last edited:
Years
Speaking as an autistic person, I think that there's a lot of misinformation out there that needs to be dealt with. Autism exists as a spectrum, and as best I can tell, most of us are higher functioning and it's the smaller number who are totally unable to function.

People also are woefully uneducated as to exactly what autism is. Bad portrayals in media are a big part of that I expect, but there's also just not a lot of education around. Autism is extremely hard to grasp and understand because it is hugely complex. There's a common misconception that autistic people are cognitively impaired, which is usually not the case at all. Then there's things that people just don't know, like how autistic people generally experience greater sensory input and what we do experience can be unusual, which is why we're often uncomfortable with certain kinds of contact or are pickier eaters than most. Then there's the belief that some have that we lack emotions when in reality autistic people tend to be highly emotional and instead struggle to communicate what we feel.

Most of what autistic people need to see change in society just stems from education. We need to be portrayed better and more accurately in media and information about autism (and other disabilities too for that matter) needs to be made more readily available.

If we want people to stop using "autistic" as an insult or to stop assuming we have below-average intelligence or any number of other things, we need to better educate those around us.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 21
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2024
Yes, I think so. I am autistic myself and I get annoyed whenever people use the word 'autistic' as an insult.

I think schools should teach kids about autism, so they understand at least a little but about it. Because many teenagers seem to, sadly, think that all autistic people are dumb and dangerous (Even tho this is not true at all)

And I think people should at least understand our sensory problems, without making untrue guesses.

Back