• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yveltal-EX partners

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2017
    Hi all, would appreciate some advice on partners for Yveltal-EX, in Standard.
    Am helping my son (9) create his first deck, for local tournaments.
    We have chopped and changed quite a few times (much to his annoyance) but have settled on the following, although now appreciate (thanks others) this may be a more complicated deck for a beginner, but we are where we are (it will be a good learning exercise!).

2 Yveltal-EX
    2 Yveltal (O.Wing)
    1 Drampa-GX
    1 Tauros-GX (with Ninja Boy)

We have all the cards above.
    We need a minimum of one more basic, plus anything else which is suitable.

So,
    Shaymin/Lele ? on a budget so too expensive
    Darkrai-EX ? expensive and playing 4 DCE
    Yveltal/Yveltal-EX ? probably simplest option. If new Garbodor lives up to the hype then would lean away from discard cards which doesn?t help with O.Wing.
    Drampa-GX ? more of the same, planning on using 1+ Rainbow energy to help if early attacker
    Yveltal Fright Night
    Yveltal Break
    Garbodor (Garbotoxin) ? Field Blower would reduce impact?
    Alolan Muk ? only impacts Basics
    Mew (Memories of Dawn)
    Umbreon EX ? too situational?
    Eevee/Umbreon-GX
    Wait for new Darkrai
    Wait for new Darkrai-GX
    A N Other1 ? to make use of lots of D/DC energy on bench
    A N Other2 ? to make use of Rainbow energy, e.g. LCC or LC attack, appreciate may not be consistent
    Something else completely?

Would prefer not to go for something that may be rotated out, as money is money!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    As mentioned in the other thread Shaymin is really required for Yveltal. Come rotation Yveltal is gonna be a really bad deck.

Greninja BREAK is coming back and doesnt play any shaymins and is an easyish deck to learn and v. competitive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...ninja+break.TRS0&_nkw=greninja+break&_sacat=0

Greninja BREAK is the most expensive card in the deck, at around ?10.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Froaki...326974?hash=item3f78e6bbfe:g:pyMAAOSwuLZY3Os3

Rest of the main core is there for a tenner.

Years
  • I mean, you could take a chance that the other kids aren't running anything serious and forgo the core of the deck and hope other kids aren't running anything crazy. A number of kids wind up running decks their parents have built, though.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2017
    Ok, humour me for a bit!

If you were playing Yveltal-EX, Yveltal O.Wing, Drampa and Tauros, then regardless of trainers and Shaymin/Lele, would you play any other basics/lines or just more of the same?

Thanks.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    I just wouldnt play it without the other staples. I'd probably play Lugia EX instead of yveltal on that situ

Years
  • Ok, humour me for a bit!

If you were playing Yveltal-EX, Yveltal O.Wing, Drampa and Tauros, then regardless of trainers and Shaymin/Lele, would you play any other basics/lines or just more of the same?

Thanks.

You might want an evolution line just to have SOMETHING to use in the event you come up against something with the Safeguard ability. Not sure what, though.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Or, you know, Garbodork. Who cares about Safeguard when you disable it anyway?

Without running Shay/Lele, honestly Lugia is better than Yvelt (and even then, Lele is literally just a better Lugia).

So as mentioned, you are not building a competitive Yveltal deck without top of the line cards. It doesn't work.

Years
  • Granted, at 9, one has to wonder whether the competition he'll face will be top-tier for his age group or if it'll be middling/below average. The real challenges will come when he ages up into Juniors where 14 year old players who actually have a good grasp of competitive decks will be common opponents.

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2017
    Ok, you have twisted my arm! Will get most/all the staples required.
    Re the deck, please could you contribute to this thread (Decidueye, thanks already).
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9649543

As mentioned in the other thread Shaymin is really required for Yveltal. Come rotation Yveltal is gonna be a really bad deck.

Are you suggesting that any decks reliant on a lot of energy acceleration will be poor post Shaymin?
    Thanks.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Ok, you have twisted my arm! Will get most/all the staples required.
    Re the deck, please could you contribute to this thread (Decidueye, thanks already).
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=9649543

Are you suggesting that any decks reliant on a lot of energy acceleration will be poor post Shaymin?
    Thanks.

No, Yveltal is an exception. LaprasBox gets Aqua Patch and still has Palkia EX/Max Elixir, Darkrai still has Max Elixir/Baby Yveltal, Volcanion EX still has baby Volc, the new Supporter coming out in SM3 and Turtanator GX, fairy based energy decks (Snorlax GX, some Lugia and Giratina builds, Xerneas BREAK, M Gardy) still have max eilixir and Xerneas from STS

It's just Yveltal really needs the speed of Shaymin and it cant really survive without it.

All other speed decks either run on DCE (Lugia, Lele, Darkrai), run on your benched energy too (Darkrai, Gardevoir) or have dedicated type-based support (Lapras, Gardevoir, Volcanion).

Carbink BREAK allows for fast energy on fighting decks.

Also baby Rayquaza is a thing now which is really helpful.

Back