• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rumours you thought were true.

Years
  • Way back before I had a computer or access to the internet.
    My friends and I played the heck out of R/S/E, there was word going around that you could catch a Jirachi in game... everyone knew you could get it in Colosseum but the game had become quite rare in my area.

-

So the story goes that once you complete the Hoenn Pokedex, you get a call from Steven to meet you at the Mossdeep Space Station.
    After that you get a chance to fly a rocket ship to space and find Jirachi up there.

Looking back, we were kids and it was pretty funny. The R/S/E dex was so hard to complete so rumours like this definitely went around.
    The Delta Episode felt extra cool to me for this reason.

We've been with Pokemon for years now. Have you ever heard wild rumours like this before?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    The Jirachi rumor I remember hearing as a kid was that if you beat the Elite 4 100 times, Jirachi would appear in that surf area just to the east of Mauville (or it was some body of water anyway). Did actually try to beat the Elite 4 100 times on my Ruby, and I think I got somewhat close lol

Quiji

Shining
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2021
    I thought that Mew could be found underneath the truck at the S.S. Anne's harbor. I don't remember where I even heard that rumor, but I kept trying to access the truck in Red version back when I first played it.

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I remember the Mossdeep Space Center/rocket rumor, but I think the version I heard was for Deoxys (like the Delta Episode). I read/heard another one about Jirachi that involved the white rock outside the Space Center. I can't remember if I believed the one about Deoxys, but I definitely thought something was up with that rock.

Some others I recall falling for:

• Using button combos to increase catch rate (still guilty)
    • Mew is under the truck
    • There's a golden Gyarados (not just blue and red ones) in GSC
    • Pikablu, Yoshi, and several other PokéGod rumors
    • Celebi can be encountered on a certain route in Emerald, but it's incredibly rare
    • Lavender Town Syndrome

I also seem to recall reading a post on this site years ago about a secret Pokémon in RSE that had apparently been killed by Rayquaza. IIRC, the post said something about a black tombstone appearing at Mt. Pyre at midnight and that a path would open (possibly by using Rock Smash on the grave, or maybe the ground would just crumble) and lead you to a chamber/void where you could battle this mysterious black orb/blob thing. They even had a neat poem/riddle that made it sound super convincing! Alas, no black graves appeared at midnight...

Last edited:
    Years
  • There was a Mew under the truck at the S.S Anne
    Holding down a button (B or A) would increase the chance of the Pokemon being caught.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I didn't fall for any rumors since I started playing Pokemon during the time the internet was thriving, but I DID think Rotom was a legendary Pokemon because of its encounter music. idk if that counts as a rumor or anything, though.

Years
  • back when I had firered, I heard a rumor that if I press A and B fast enough, it will help with the pokeball's catch rate. you should see me bullying those buttons whenever I would catch a pokemon. real disappointed (and felt stupid) though when I found out it wasn't true

Last edited:
    Back