• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon FR Advanced Challenge

Are natures a good feature for Pokémon games?

• I think they are cool and provide customisation and replayability

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • I think they are horrible and make me spend more time looking for my desired Pokémon

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
Years
  • I wonder why Mewtwo is nerfed, you can't get it before beating the E4 so I don't see any reason to nerf if.

I'm running on VIsta Home Premium. Twas trying to use IPS patcher to patch the file onto a ROM when I got that error message. SO far, this is the only time I've encountered this message. I cannot use Discord, cause my OS Isn't supported, and it takes forever to do anything on it.
    Upgrade to newer OS asap, Vista is badly outdated and isn't supported anymore.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I wonder why Mewtwo is nerfed, you can't get it before beating the E4 so I don't see any reason to nerf if.

Bruh. I know this. I hate the newer OS. I like my Vista. But I digress.

Years
  • I wonder why Mewtwo is nerfed, you can't get it before beating the E4 so I don't see any reason to nerf if.

The hack rom is also meant to be used to play against friends (maybe this could be a pokemon showdown server some day xD)

Years
  • Hi there people!
    I'm releasing a v2.0.0 of the hack rom for the anniversary (has been a year since I started this project 😃)
    Thank you so much to the community for all the support and feedback.
    I attach the last changelog and I update the original post to reflect the changes as usual.
    I hope you enjoy this release as much as I enjoyed developing it =).

v2.0.0
    Breaking Changes
    -Due to bug corrections, this version is not backwards compatible with any ^v1.0.0 version. You can load your legacy file save in this rom but I can't guarantee that the game will not crash unexpectedly in any moment.

Boss Battles
    The next AI were enhanced
    • Lt Surge
    • Blaine
    • Giovanni (1 & 2)
    • Lance (Normal)
    • Lorelei (Normal & Rematch)
    • Wattson
    • Glacia

The Missing Pokémon
    -Kecleon was added, it was the only Pokémon that I forgot to include and nobody notice it xD
    -(More info in the documentation at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g8JbU0yjGOU6aTgj-SxAT8SuOYyjhLglDRH1Yo18NPU)

Event Only Pokémon now in the Wild
    -The next Pokémon were added as wild encounters to make them easier to find and catch and also to make Oak's Challenge easier to do.
    • Mr. Mime
    • Lickitung
    • Jynx
    • Farfetch'd
    • Kabuto
    • Omanyte
    • Eevee

EV Training Zone
    -An EV Training Lab/Facility was added to Cinnabar Island for those people that loves this aspect of Pokémon breeding/Training.

Early Moves Party
    -All pokémon now learns their first 4 moves much faster. Almost all Pokémon have 3 moves by level 5 and their 4th move by level 10 or earlier.

Sevii Islands Shortcuts
    -Barriers & obstacles were removed from the first 6 isles of Sevii Islands to make the Ruby & Sapphire Quest more streamlined and the postgame more accesible.

Quality of Life Changes (QoL)
    • Smeargle nows learns Sketch each 5 leves from level 11 instead of each 10 leves to make it easier to use from the start.
    • Vitamins now cost 3000 (from 9800).

Balance Changes
    • Mareep, Lotad & Surskit were added to Route 22 to give more tools in early game.
    • Mawile now can only be found a lvl 46 (from lvl 48).
    • Berries now cost 150 (from 100).
    • Status healing and PP restoring berries were moved to items bag to avoid its exploit in combat.
    • Roxanne & Brawly now gives rewards after beating them for a smoother early game experience.

Bug Fixes
    • Corrected Koga (E4) text.
    • Corrected Roxanne text (now she doesn't says that she comes from KANTO).

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2021
    I absolutely love how this hack finally made my favourite pokemon properly useful <3
    If possible to make i think a "currently encounterable pokemon" function in the pokedex would be great for added ease of locating the pokemon you want rather than running through the grass for eternities - that would be a major quality of life change in my book

Years
  • New release !

v2.2.3

Boss Battles
    -Added a new optional Double Battle against Saffron City Dojo Master.

Breeding Daycare Earlier
    -Now breeding daycare can be found in Route 5 (the daycare in Sevii Islands was closed).

Optional Trainer Battles
    -Now all Trainer Battles are optional (are only triggered when you talk with the trainer) except for gym battles, battles against Team Rocket's members & battles against bikers.

• Removed tutorial battle against rival (it was boring).
    • Legendary Pokémon are now breedable with Ditto.
    • Pokémon that has Stone Evolutions (Clefable, Nidoking/Nidoqueen) shares learnset with their previous form (so move reminder can now teach those moves).
    • Added some extra high grass tiles to Rute 9 to find new Pokémon easier.
    • Running indoors (a really demanded request).
    • All fossil are now resurected at lv35.
    • Vitamins now cost 2500 (from 3000).
    • Rest's TM can now be purchased in Celadon City Mart.
    • Decapitalization of routes & cities' names.

Balance Changes
    • ]Clair gives you a lv30 Dratini (from lv20).
    • ]Lum & Leppa Berry now cost 600 (from 150).
    • ]Corsola now appears between lvs 20-25 (from lvs 5-15).

Bug Fixes
    • Trapinch has Hyper Cutter as ability as intended.
    • Fixed missing collision tile in Route 23.
    • Fixed mini-sprites color palette of Lotad, Gulpin & Cacturne.
    • Captive kid now freed in Fuchsia City (we thought he was a Kabuto but now Kabuto is in the zoo as intended).
    • Clamperl now can evolve in Huntail with Water Stone as originally intended.
    • Clamperl now can evolve in Gorebyss with Volt Stone as originally intended.

Years
  • Man, all this stuff and no PSS? Awe jeez.

Sorry dude but:
    Q: It has physical/special split like in Gen IV+?
    A: No. It doesn't. The game is balanced and designed with the old move categories system of Gen III in mind, and applying a physical/special split to it would compromise the balance of the game.

But I think there should be PSS patches if you want to try to add them to a FR Advanced Challenge rom.

Years
  • I absolutely love how this hack finally made my favourite pokemon properly useful <3
    If possible to make i think a "currently encounterable pokemon" function in the pokedex would be great for added ease of locating the pokemon you want rather than running through the grass for eternities - that would be a major quality of life change in my book

Glad you liked it! Hope to see you in our Discord some day too :)

Years
  • New release !

v2.2.3

Boss Battles
    -Added a new optional Double Battle against Saffron City Dojo Master.

Breeding Daycare Earlier
    -Now breeding daycare can be found in Route 5 (the daycare in Sevii Islands was closed).

Optional Trainer Battles
    -Now all Trainer Battles are optional (are only triggered when you talk with the trainer) except for gym battles, battles against Team Rocket's members & battles against bikers.

• Pokémon that has Stone Evolutions (Clefable, Nidoking/Nidoqueen) shares learnset with their previous form (so move reminder can now teach those moves).
    • Added some extra high grass tiles to Rute 9 to find new Pokémon easier.
    • All fossil are now resurected at lv35.
    • Vitamins now cost 2500 (from 3000).
    • Rest's TM can now be purchased in Celadon City Mart.
    • Decapitalization of routes & cities' names.

Balance Changes
    • ]Clair gives you a lv30 Dratini (from lv20).
    • ]Lum & Leppa Berry now cost 600 (from 150).
    • ]Corsola now appears between lvs 20-25 (from lvs 5-15).

Bug Fixes
    • Trapinch has Hyper Cutter as ability as intended.
    • Fixed missing collision tile in Route 23.
    • Fixed mini-sprites color palette of Lotad, Gulpin & Cacturne.
    • Captive kid now freed in Fuchsia City (we thought he was a Kabuto but now Kabuto is in the zoo as intended).
    • Clamperl now can evolve in Huntail with Water Stone as originally intended.
    • Clamperl now can evolve in Gorebyss with Volt Stone as originally intended.

is it possible that we can have also a recapitalized version of the game...because in my opinion i think some gamers prefered just the default letters style...including me...and sometimes i do feel awkwardness when the letters are different to the ones that i have been used to see playing pokemon since gameboy era...its just my opinion... i would be nice if there is a recap and decap option....peace!!

Years
  • is it possible that we can have also a recapitalized version of the game...because in my opinion i think some gamers prefered just the default letters style...including me...and sometimes i do feel awkwardness when the letters are different to the ones that i have been used to see playing pokemon since gameboy era...its just my opinion... i would be nice if there is a recap and decap option....peace!!

I'll see if I can add an recap patch. Thank you !

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
  • for some reason the patch did not work on my 1636 Squirrels.
    am using emulator mGBA 0.7.1 on Windows 10.

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
  • Did you failed to patch it or to run it? Can you share with us the error? Thanks!

The patch is applied trhough the software FLIPS.
    I receive a message saying that the patch is applied successfully.
    Then I start the romhack in my emulator and it stays on the default screen instead of launching it.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    Pokémon FR Advanced Challenge v2.2.3

Download Link : https://www.mediafire.com/file/v0d1slulc7tii2p/Pokemon_FR_Advanced_Challenge_v2.2.3.zip/file

Pokémon Changes Documentation: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g8JbU0yjGOU6aTgj-SxAT8SuOYyjhLglDRH1Yo18NPU

Discord Server: https://discord.com/invite/k5SavySDVm

FR-1.png

4.png

Introduction
    Basically this is a FR Hack Rom with a lot of balance to make all Pokémon relevant and useful and with the addition of more interesting and challenging double battles.
    I love third generation. I do random OU battles in Smogon and I play a lot of doubles battles along my friends in my free time so I decided to try to capture what I feel could be the most challenging and fulfilling experience in Pokémon Gen III.

Features
    New Strategies for your Favorite Pokémon!
    n7D4v1o.png

-Changes were made to help and improve all those Pokémon that never shone in either VGC or Smogon while I tried my best at maintaining the game's balance. The detailed description of each Pokémon change is here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g8JbU0yjGOU6aTgj-SxAT8SuOYyjhLglDRH1Yo18NPU

Epic Battles!
    jsM8P0c.png

C3uikjR.png

-Tired of always winning by spamming the same attack? Enjoy new and challenging double battles with new movesets and items against your Rival, Giovanni, the Gym Leaders, the Elite Four and many trainers from Johto & Hoenn region!
    26 main story Boss Battles + 35 optional Boss Battles! (61 in total)
    Beware! Items are disabled in combat!

Catch em' All!
    86hAlJ1.png

-All Gen 3 Pokémon are obtainable without need of trading (386 in total).

Quality of Life Changes!
    aPGqyVU.png

• Starter comes with Exp. Share
    • Pokémon are generated with perfect IV
    • Pokémon learns moves earlier in the game
    • Infinite TM's
    • Infinite Move Tutors
    • Berry Vendor in Lavender Town
    • Free move reminder in Fuchsia City
    • EV Training Lab/Facility
    • National DEX from the start
    • Running shoes from the start
    • Moon Stone & Sun Stone is purchasable in Celadon City along with the other Evolutionary Stones
    • Gen V Repelent
    • Shortcuts for all main dungeons of the game
    • Dark Tunnel doesn't requires Flash to navigate
    • Some maps were modified for an easier navigation
    • Decap. for Pokémon names, moves, items and Start Menu.
    • Added "Nicknamer" a new item that changes any Pokémon nickname.
    • Breeding daycare in Route 5.

Abilities Overhaul
    flUtHmD.png

YatNOJ8.png

-You love your favourite Pokémon but you feel bad for using it because it has an useless ability? All abilities commonly considered boring or useless were replaced for more relevant abilities for the planning of your team.

Learnset Overhaul
    -All Pokémon received up to one egg move in their learnsets.

Tools Used
    • AdvanceMap
    • G3T (Gen 3 Tools)
    • HTE (Hopeless Trainer Editor)
    • XSE (eXtreme Script Editor)

FAQ's
    Spoiler:

Latest Changes
    Spoiler:

Progress Report
    Spoiler:

Hall of Fame
    Spoiler:

Great work. I am playing through my first Rom Hack and this is great. Quick question: where is the EV Lab located?

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2021
    Hey, i just finished this Romhack with harcore nuzlocke rules and i have to say it was really nice and challenging! :)
    I did all boss battles without overleveling them and decided to eliminate EV-advantage by cheating in rare candies so i dont gain any EVs from grinding (and cause im lazy). I needed 4 attempts in total to beat the game. First one wiped at Brawly, second one at Lance (the one with 3 d-nites before victory road; hardest fight in the game imho), third at Falkner (encounters were quite unlucky this attempt), fourth run was the charm completing the game including post game bosses Oak, Steven and Red. Really loved the infite TM uses - this made team building for all bosses really interesting. In addition to not knowing the strats/movesets of the bosses - just knowing their lineups - theorycrafting the bossfights was definitely the highlight for me. Oh and the infinite suppy of Lum Berries was also very helpful!

MVPs of my run:
    -Starmie: amazing coverage and versitility, carried me through the E4
    -Snorlax: well its kinda OP ;)
    -Shuckle: reeeeeally lucky encounter in rock tunnel, saved some iffy situations but i didnt overuse it as it might have trivialized some fights
    -Primeape: very underrated offensive mon, especially with choice band :D

Best Encounters (imo):
    -Lance pre Victory road: "ez ice beam spam" i thought, well thick fat and EQ-spam ended that run :D
    -Wallace second fight: Despite being mono water this guy was very versitile
    -Steven: well he is the best designed Boss in Gen3 so no wonder he was great here too
    Bosses with 6 mons are always the best, feels the most balanced, for this reason many Mid-Late game Kanto/Jotho bosses were kinda easy (Koga, Giovanni, Pryce, Jasmine). But if youre not prepared pretty much any boss can rek you!

Ok enough rambling! Great game Devlain! Thanks for making it, i had a blast <3

Years
  • Great work. I am playing through my first Rom Hack and this is great. Quick question: where is the EV Lab located?

Thank you for playing and sorry for the delay, I was addressing some personal issues.
    I hope I'm not late but the EV Lab is located in Cinnabar Island :)

Years
  • Hey, i just finished this Romhack with harcore nuzlocke rules and i have to say it was really nice and challenging! :)
    I did all boss battles without overleveling them and decided to eliminate EV-advantage by cheating in rare candies so i dont gain any EVs from grinding (and cause im lazy). I needed 4 attempts in total to beat the game. First one wiped at Brawly, second one at Lance (the one with 3 d-nites before victory road; hardest fight in the game imho), third at Falkner (encounters were quite unlucky this attempt), fourth run was the charm completing the game including post game bosses Oak, Steven and Red. Really loved the infite TM uses - this made team building for all bosses really interesting. In addition to not knowing the strats/movesets of the bosses - just knowing their lineups - theorycrafting the bossfights was definitely the highlight for me. Oh and the infinite suppy of Lum Berries was also very helpful!

MVPs of my run:
    -Starmie: amazing coverage and versitility, carried me through the E4
    -Snorlax: well its kinda OP ;)
    -Shuckle: reeeeeally lucky encounter in rock tunnel, saved some iffy situations but i didnt overuse it as it might have trivialized some fights
    -Primeape: very underrated offensive mon, especially with choice band :D

Best Encounters (imo):
    -Lance pre Victory road: "ez ice beam spam" i thought, well thick fat and EQ-spam ended that run :D
    -Wallace second fight: Despite being mono water this guy was very versitile
    -Steven: well he is the best designed Boss in Gen3 so no wonder he was great here too
    Bosses with 6 mons are always the best, feels the most balanced, for this reason many Mid-Late game Kanto/Jotho bosses were kinda easy (Koga, Giovanni, Pryce, Jasmine). But if youre not prepared pretty much any boss can rek you!

Ok enough rambling! Great game Devlain! Thanks for making it, i had a blast <3

Thank you so much for playing and for your detailed feedback. It makes me so happy when I see that people enjoys playing my hack rom as much as I enjoyed making it.
    I agree that Koga, Giovanni and Jasmine are kinda a joke and that there is a clear difficulty spike between the last gym and the pre-league content but after a lot of testing with my team we found it challenging and interesting.
    I'm so glad that you liked the battles against Lance, Wallace and Steven. Personally I have a great time fighting Silver, the Rival and Red too.

Back