• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon FR Advanced Challenge

Are natures a good feature for Pokémon games?

• I think they are cool and provide customisation and replayability

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • I think they are horrible and make me spend more time looking for my desired Pokémon

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Pokémon FR Advanced Challenge v2.5.0

Download Link : https://www.mediafire.com/file/b06b1447e5f4coa/Pokemon_FR_Advanced_Challenge_v2.5.0.zip/file

General Documentation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BiTsjV2kj4ptgIuURDqVp3AI9CcOiGtsBtiyGDeF5dA

Pokémon Changes & Locations Tables: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g8JbU0yjGOU6aTgj-SxAT8SuOYyjhLglDRH1Yo18NPU

Discord Server: https://discord.gg/qkPZRDuMxH

Pokémon FR Advanced Challenge

Introduction
    Basically this is a FR Hack Rom with a lot of balance to make all Pokémon relevant and useful and with the addition of more interesting and challenging double battles.
    I love third generation. I do random OU battles in Smogon and I play a lot of doubles battles along my friends in my free time so I decided to try to capture what I feel could be the most challenging and fulfilling experience in Pokémon Gen III.

Features
    New Strategies for your Favorite Pokémon!

-Changes were made to help and improve all those Pokémon that never shone in either VGC or Smogon while I tried my best at maintaining the game's balance. The detailed description of each Pokémon change is here:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1g8JbU0yjGOU6aTgj-SxAT8SuOYyjhLglDRH1Yo18NPU

Epic Battles!

-Tired of always winning by spamming the same attack? Enjoy new and challenging double battles with new movesets and items against your Rival, Giovanni, the Gym Leaders, the Elite Four and many trainers from Johto & Hoenn region!
    26 main story Boss Battles + 44 optional Boss Battles! (70 in total)
    Beware! Items are disabled in combat!

Catch em' All!

-All Gen 3 Pokémon are obtainable without need of trading (386 in total).

Quality of Life Changes!

• Starter comes with Exp. Share
    • You start with 2 Pokémon (Starter + Pikachu)
    • Pokémon are generated with perfect IV
    • Pokémon learns moves earlier in the game
    • Infinite TM's
    • Infinite Move Tutors
    • National DEX from the start
    • Running shoes from the start
    • Moon Stone & Sun Stone is purchasable in Celadon City along with the other Evolutionary Stones
    • Gen V Repelent
    • Shortcuts for all main dungeons of the game
    • Dark Tunnel doesn't requires Flash to navigate
    • Some maps were modified for an easier navigation
    • Decap. for Pokémon names, moves, items and Start Menu
    • Added "Nicknamer" a new item that changes any Pokémon nickname
    • Removed tutorial battle against rival (it was boring)
    • Legendary Pokémon are now breedable with Ditto
    • Pokémon that has Stone Evolutions (Clefable, Nidoking/Nidoqueen) shares learnset with their previous form (so move reminder can now teach those moves)
    • Running indoors (a really demanded request)
    • Nature Colored Stats

Abilities Overhaul

-You love your favourite Pokémon but you feel bad for using it because it has an useless ability? All abilities commonly considered boring or useless were replaced for more relevant abilities for the planning of your team.

Learnset Overhaul

-All Pokémon received up to one egg move in their learnsets.

New NPCs

• Berry Vendor in Lavender Town
    • Free move reminder in Fuchsia City
    • EV Training Lab/Facility
    • Pokéball vendor
    • Breeding daycare in Route 5

Reviews

Tools Used
    • AdvanceMap
    • G3T (Gen 3 Tools)
    • HTE (Hopeless Trainer Editor)
    • XSE (eXtreme Script Editor)

FAQ's
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/...3AI9CcOiGtsBtiyGDeF5dA/#heading=h.nuyucbumb1s

Latest Changes
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZNnaYMh7LJKuvn0q0H-4sZ1Erleb8Y4O5kXRVqFvZZc

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    I love third generation. I do random OU battles in Smogon and I play a lot of doubles battles along my friends in my free time so I decided to try to capture what I feel could be the most challenging and fulfilling experience in Pokémon Gen III.

I play random on Showdown all the time. This is a very interesting hack, looking forward to playing it.

Years
  • Thread approved. Stylishly done zipped folder, love all the documentation you've included.

Glad you appreciate it! I usually think that most of the people doesn't care about documentation but I think that it is so frustrating when something I want to use isn't well documented.

I play random on Showdown all the time. This is a very interesting hack, looking forward to playing it.

I really appreciate you interest and I'll be happy to read your opinions on it.

Years
  • Is the physical/special split on this? It doesn't seem to be listed in the features.
    No, it isn't. This subject was addressed in the FAQ's too.
    Q: It has physical/special split like in Gen IV+?
    A: No. It doesn't. The game is balanced and designed with the old move categories system of Gen III in mind, and applying a physical/special split to it would compromise the balance of the game.
    Thank you for your interest!

Years
  • v1.7.0 was just released, changes were added to the original post to reflect latest changes.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2021
    since you removed IVs why not remove natures too, i never liked to capture a pokemon and then see it has -(your main stat) nature

Years
  • since you removed IVs why not remove natures too, i never liked to capture a pokemon and then see it has -(your main stat) nature

If I learn how to do it maybe I'll do it. I think it is a good idea on paper, but I should check the impact because sometimes natures provides extra customization when designing your team. Anyways I feel and think the same way than you about natures.

Years
  • This looks fun. I also think it would be great if you removed natures.

Thank you for the feedback. I've been researching on the matter in my discord channels and speaking with friends and I didn't gather enough evidence yet that a Pokémon game could be better without natures (even if don't like them either). Maybe in the feature I'll release an optional version without them but I'm not sure if I'll implement that feature yet.

Years
    • Seen today
    Fair enough. I've always resented the introduction of natures because I hate spending time looking for the ones I want. I'm sure your game will be fun regardless.

Years
  • Fair enough. I've always resented the introduction of natures because I hate spending time looking for the ones I want. I'm sure your game will be fun regardless.

I think the same that you, even though they are not as punishing as IV's because there are not 31^6 possible combinations, only 25 (and 5 combinations do the same anyways) and the layer of customisation they adds are still valuable.
    If I could do it easily, I'll do a system to chose your own nature. But that's a subject about development cost VS value provided.
    Thank you again for your opinions on the matter!

Years
  • For even a better insight on the matter of natures VS not-natures I added a poll :)
    (take into account that this is not the only poll about this subject coz I've done it before in Discord servers. This is only to provide me a better understanding about your impressions).

Years
    • Seen today
    Being able to choose a nature could be great but I agree with you - if it's hard to implement that or if it's much easier to just remove natures, then it's probably not worth the effort.

Back