• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Best Dragon-Type Available?

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2013
    What does anybody think the best dragon type in this region is? Or from a previous region that is great to have in Kalos?:dragonite

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Mega Garchomp would have to be one of the greatest dragon-types available in Kalos at the moment, in my opinion. Its base Attack stat is one-seventy, which is a lot. Compared to its normal form, it also has better defensive stats. It may be a little slow, but that doesn't really matter. Mega Garchomp has access to a variety of moves as well, including Swords Dance and Hone Claws. After the usage of either of those moves, it should immediately be able to sweep your foe. (: Aside from this, Flygon is a pretty good dragon-type, too, and also Mega Charizard X.

Years
  • M garchomp - is a beast, double battles with support from sandstream ( tyranitar, hippowdon ) it is hardly checked* *: if not outsped by ice or fairy heavy hitters iron head garchomp I'm not sure if you can breed it on xy but when the bank and transfer goes live I will definitely be running iron head m garchomp
    Regular garchomp - regular garchomp is also terrifying in a sandstorm
    Haxorus - attack stat is nothing to sneeze at, if it can get off one flawless sword dance it can be a threatening sweeper
    Goodra - this guy is troubling me, I ran its hidden ability gooey, but to me its not the wall that gooey needs to be worth much, I've also thought of an adamant goodra to make use of some of its physical based attacks but don't see it working, all in all I'm seeing him more at home on a rain team. Still one of my favorite dragons based on looks
    Salamence - 4x weak to ice, along with garchomp and dragonite and flygon, but garchomp and salamencd will probably stand up to ice with a solid footing before dragonite and way before flygon

Caiustheblack

Breeder for the sake of it.
    Years
  • people forgot to mention Hydreigon i think...
    With his good HP, defenses and speed stats, along with an awesome 125 special attack, it can become a nice Substitute abuser....

Years
  • Mega Garchomp would have to be one of the greatest dragon-types available in Kalos at the moment, in my opinion. Its base Attack stat is one-seventy, which is a lot. Compared to its normal form, it also has better defensive stats. It may be a little slow, but that doesn't really matter. Mega Garchomp has access to a variety of moves as well, including Swords Dance and Hone Claws. After the usage of either of those moves, it should immediately be able to sweep your foe. (: Aside from this, Flygon is a pretty good dragon-type, too, and also Mega Charizard X.

Agreeing with Ashley here. Garchomp is strong, has good stats all around (except Sp. Attack, but it doesn't need it anyway) plus it learns very strong attacks. Mega Charizard X is also quite a hard hitter thanks to Tough Claws boosting most of his physical attacks.

Rainflower

분홍신
    Years
  • I guess I'm gonna go with everyone else who mentioned Garchomp earlier. It's actually my first time using this beast and, wow. I never really liked Dragon-type tbh, but this one is really amazing. Not to mention it has the ability to mega evolve which I can only use later after beating the champion...

I used Salamence (another pseudo legendary) back in X but then I like Garchomp's performance more than Salamence. Hehe.

Idk much about the new pseudo Goodra though.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It's really difficult to say which is the best Dragon type in the game, cuz there's plenty of good ones.

But I would destroy all your dragons with my Zekrom!
    ....JK.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • Assault Vest Goodra just doesn't take damage on the special side / while dishing out 2HKOs and 3HKOs.

Goodra is part of my best team.

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2014
    Rating battle seems to echo the sentiment shared in this thread......lot of Garchomp. Personally I try not to use any "LOOK AT ME I'M SO POWERFUL RAAHHH!" pokemon.

I've been very impressed by Goodra as an opponent, since any team of mine tends to be high on special and low on physical......it seems like you could land 3 critical-hit ice beams and it still wouldn't fall.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Goodra is definitely an acceptable choice. Considering its stats and movepool I'd also say Noivern is quaint, but I have yet to use it, so it's not fair to make that assessment yet.

Years
  • Goodra is definitely an acceptable choice. Considering its stats and movepool I'd also say Noivern is quaint, but I have yet to use it, so it's not fair to make that assessment yet.

I really do wish noivern was better. Sadly its speed, which is its highest stat, is still bested by a lot of pkmn. It usually falls to a single ice beam which ruins my plans for revenge killer noivern, however if I could get my hands on a telepathy noibat to breed, I'm pretty sure noivern would be a huge threat in double/ triple battles = super fang, cutting HP in half, then telepathy making it undamaged by surfs, discharges, sludge waves etc. Which could come in handy when you facing a wall.
    I'm going to try to work on my earlier statement about goodra to see if I can get a better set on her. I ran modest assault vest goodra and still fell to strong ice punches and strong dragon claws, ntm outrage. Its speed would kill it, because goodra would always be one turn away from turning it around. So last night I bred a timid, gooey, goodra with IVs in HP def sp.at sp.def and speed. I'm gonna 252 SPD and 252 sp.atk and try to run a sp.attacker

Back