• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fire Red Dynamic Surf Overworlds

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
This code is based on slawter666's pokeem implementation, which loads a custom sprite for each pokemon that can learn surf. I've ported it to Fire Red and changed it up, in my opinion, for the better.

For starters, the overall surfable pokemon structure has been combined into a single case, so you don't have to worry about matching indices between tables. It also saves space by using pointers to graphics templates that, if are nonexistent, can just be set to zero rather than making a null template.

The palettes are also loaded directly, rather than being searched for by tag, so a single palette tag can be used for all of the sprites. This isn't that big of a deal with the knowledge of increased palette tags, but it saves the user the work of adding palettes to their npc palette table.

The repository is here. The readme should do a good job of explaining necessary information, but please ask if anything is unclear or not working correctly.

**One of the main reasons I ported this was to encourage more artwork to be developed for this resource, as only a handful of sprites have been made thus far. My intent was that with more users gaining access to it, more people would be willing to contribute. I will be contributing here and there, but my spriting skill is somewhat limited, so please help out :)

I should also note that the pokeem source allows horizontally-aligned images, but I am unaware of such a nicety in FR, so the sprites must be vertically aligned. It's not too bad to swap frames around, though.

Here is a nice GIF of it working in FR:
iktycB1.gif

Finally, here is the spriting progress:
Gen I (35.7%)
Spoiler:

Gen II (4.1%)
Spoiler:

Gen III (11.1%)
Spoiler:

Gen IV
Spoiler:

Gen V
Spoiler:

Gen VI
Spoiler:

Gen VII
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
Great! I can make the 1st and 2nd gen sprite if you want...is it right this?

B8kVpe1.png

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 18, 2023
Sorry for double post but I finish the evolution...if there are right I can make the other sprite...

B8kVpe1.png
GWpleq3.png
uwwJAwP.png

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
Sorry for double post but I finish the evolution...if there are right I can make the other sprite...

B8kVpe1.png
GWpleq3.png
uwwJAwP.png

These are great, thanks! I've updated the main page with progress for Gen 1-3 if you are interested in making more :)

I've made seel, dewgong, and vaporeon, I'll add squirtle/blastoise in soon as well.

awesome work guys!! this will be a very useful tool!!
Thanks! It may take a while to get all of the spriting done, but definetly a cool resource to share between versions.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
Here are a few more sprites I've made. I also added a progress percentage for each gen.

QbYhGGy.png
PhIyfR4.png
buTz4aj.png
LLsNezQ.png
sRY4OiO.png

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Had no idea a version of this had been made for binary, very nice work mate! Obviously feel free to use any sprites I've done for the pokéemerald version.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
give me this error when I'm going to compile

https://i.imgur.com/lQY4meC.png

It looks like the images won't compile, so you'll need to include a grit reference in C:/devkitPro/devkitARM/bin/ folder. I'm not sure if those are okay to share or not, but if you are on discord I can give them to you over DM

Had no idea a version of this had been made for binary, very nice work mate! Obviously feel free to use any sprites I've done for the pokéemerald version.

Thanks! I've credited you with the sprites you've made for the pokeem version :) And the nice thing about this feature is that it will be trivial to port to pokefirered whenever its ready to use.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
Commenting with some added features/bug fixes! (credits to Kalarie for bug finding/testing):
  • Selecting a pokemon from the pokemenu will load that pokemon's sprite as opposed to the first pokemon that knows surf in your party
  • Switching pokemon ordering mid-surf will not change the overworld sprite
  • The overlay frames that appear in front of the player sprite no longer appear in front of certain map tiles
kU3apth.gif

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen yesterday
Couldn't find any bugs playtesting with the latest release, so it should be working flawlessly now! Great effort Ghoulslash, this resource deserves more attention and completed surfing sprites!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
Is it a WIP?
Because there are a lot of OWs to make
I'm not skilled as a spriter

The coding is done, the only thing that is needed is to finish the OWs and add them to an already existing table.

How do I make it work?

What specifically is or isn't working for you? Once you compile it, you don't need to set any flags or variables, just surf with a pokemon.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
The coding is done, the only thing that is needed is to finish the OWs and add them to an already existing table.

What specifically is or isn't working for you? Once you compile it, you don't need to set any flags or variables, just surf with a pokemon.

apparently it does not work, I already try it on a clean rom and if it works, I guess it's my rom.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
apparently it does not work, I already try it on a clean rom and if it works, I guess it's my rom.

Keep in mind it defaults to the regular surf blob if the selected pokemon does not have artwork yet. All of my testing was on a clean rom so I can guarantee it works.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Keep in mind it defaults to the regular surf blob if the selected pokemon does not have artwork yet. All of my testing was on a clean rom so I can guarantee it works.

What happens is that I do not know what the problem is since I have not modified the surf sprite.

Years
  • Seen yesterday
What happens is that I do not know what the problem is since I have not modified the surf sprite.

Most Pokemon don't have their artwork completed in this resource. If their artwork isn't there, it can't be compiled (logically) and it won't be showing up in the game. You'll need to check whether the routine compiled correctly by surfing on a Lapras or a Tentacool for example (or any other Pokemon which artwork is completed, check the main thread for which are completed). If, in that case, the default surfing blob appears, something went wrong in implementing the routine. You'll probably need to check a tutorial on how to compile such a routine then.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hi I'm pretty far in the rom hack I've been doing but would really love to incorporate this. I have cygwin from using it with an old gbc hack I worked on. Can you help me understand what I need to do to get this on a hack I already have its a FR hack.

Or of there's a patch which I doubt. I'm game to learn but need thorough steps been awhile with cygwin.

Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Hi I'm pretty far in the rom hack I've been doing but would really love to incorporate this. I have cygwin from using it with an old gbc hack I worked on. Can you help me understand what I need to do to get this on a hack I already have its a FR hack.

Or of there's a patch which I doubt. I'm game to learn but need thorough steps been awhile with cygwin.

I have a patch that applies it to 0x900000
(GBA FR Dynamic Surf OWs)

Attachments

• DynamicSurfOWs0x900000.ups
    128 KB · Views: 54
Back