• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen How would you have changed the areas?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Some areas and towns in gen 1 Kanto were pretty bland imo... Sure, the capacity of the games was a lot less back then, but creativity can go a long way.

If you could have (re)designed a specific (or several) area, route or city, which one and how would that be?

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Fuchsia City was a bit.. eh for my liking. I didn't really like the layout of it all and it was actually quite complicated to navigate through back then. If I could re-design it then I'd probably just make it more accessible, that was the main issue I had with it tbh.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yea Fuchsia City was unnecessarily complicated, even if you kept a pokemon with CUT on your team.

They could also have made something more with the water around Cerulean imo. They did have Nugget Bridge, but the place had the potential to be a beautiful water focused city with canals and streams
    and fountains, and they only made a couple of streets and houses. Pity.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
    Years
  • I'm fine with Pallet Town, but I could remodel the predominent area of Kanto. Pewter could be right next to Mt Moon, to authenticize the genuinity of the Rock Gym. Cerulean could use a waterfall, which could, in fact, lead to Mewtwo Cave, instead of having a guy guard it til you become Champion/explore Sevii Islands. Viridian would be the new site of the Battle Tower. Vermilion is fine, but could house more side-quests. Lavender could use more side-quests instead of being a passerby city. I'D ADD MORE FLOWERS AND TREES TO CELADON!! Really outline the fact that it's Erika's HQ. Fuschia could use a lot more side-quests, being that 'impossible to get to right off the hop' city. (Saffron is more easily accessable than Fuschia.) Oh, and couldn't we get away with placing either Cinnabar Gym or the wild-infested former laboratory in the inside of a volcano? I was the most disappointed with Cinnabar Island cuz it looked as base as Pewter or Viridian. I was expecting much more from the original Pokemon Island City. Victory Road looked fine, it was easy to navigate. Shame on any of you who say VR is too short, because I'd prefer not to be wiped out shortly before reaching League.

Years
  • Something about Viridian City's layout has always bugged me... I like the town but I feel like they could have done more with it. I don't really know how to explain it lol.

And I agree with others on Fushia City. I really dislike the layout for it. Definitely would make it easier to navigate.

Years
  • I would remove those unnecessary ledges in Route 4 not being able to get back up there without the Surf HM you get later on in the game is pretty stupid.

Last edited:

redjj1

Old School
    Years
  • Cinnabar and seafoam islands could have been so much better. Islands should always be significant and amazing, not a small square surrounded by water with not much to do.

a battle tower would have been awesome!

Lavender Town is pretty boring except for the music... and the route # escapes me but the route leading from lavender town to fuschia city is long and boring, great for training but it could do with more areas along the way to explore (few caves e.t.c)

1 thing I wish there was a a few more forests in the game!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I actually really liked Fuchsia. Yeah it was kiiinda annoying but it was the coolest place. It was where the Safari was!

For me personally I'd make Cycling Road... shorter? It's so long! Especially if you're riding uphill... yeah I get the effect but I wish there was something exciting in the middle c:

Swithdas

What's a forum and how do I use it again..
    Years
  • I would've liked Seafoam Islands and the Power Plant to have more prominence in the Gen1 games. I would've liked there to be story driven elements to both of these areas, since all they are is pretty much "go here when you want/need Articuno and Zapdos, then never return."

I find it really sad that these two areas in the game (although not hard to navigate) are designed quite nicely and could've been utilised way more when Gen1 was released. Although I do understand the old limitations of the cartridges at the time, later gens blah blah blah :p

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I would've liked Seafoam Islands and the Power Plant to have more prominence in the Gen1 games. I would've liked there to be story driven elements to both of these areas, since all they are is pretty much "go here when you want/need Articuno and Zapdos, then never return."

I find it really sad that these two areas in the game (although not hard to navigate) are designed quite nicely and could've been utilised way more when Gen1 was released. Although I do understand the old limitations of the cartridges at the time, later gens blah blah blah :p

Well Power Plant also had Voltorb, Grimer(if you hadn't caught it yet), Electrabuzz(believe it was Blue that had it), Pikachu(who needs Viridian Forest) and Magnemite(if you hadn't caught it yet) in addition to Zapdos. Same deal with Seafoam with regards to Water Pokemon when hunting for Articuno.

Most disappointing layout to me was Celadon. They stuck Erika's Gym over in a corner to where it almost makes it look like it wasn't good enough to be with everything else. Like it was an eyesore or something. Even Fuchsia's layout was a bit perplexing. I mean yeah I know it has the Safari Zone but do you really need a "Zoo"? Seemed to be a waste of game data and town space.

Years
  • I really don't have much of a problem with Kanto's overall design. The most I would have done is remove those pesky bushes all over Fuchsia, as they were pretty annoying to get through. Maybe I would have also added a bit more to the underground paths, because I did find them a bit empty. But overall I really did like Kanto's design.

Back