• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Proposal: Deep analysis of Ghetsis

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    Hello everyone! In honor of my favorite generation, I thought to myself that tackling one of my favorite black and white Pokémon characters, Ghetsis, would be a good idea.

To do so, I intend to analyze it in a methodical and procedural way. I had in mind to divide my article into 3 parts, one dealing with Ghetsis in Black and White and another for his character in Black and White 2 and the last to reveal my theory about his origins and motivations of being evil + the conclusion.

The first part would be composed as follows:
    1) Introduction to explain the controversy around the relevance of the character of Ghetsis
    2) An incipit to put the player in context on his first meeting with him and which will serve as a point of support for the psychological part of the character.
    3) Physical and symbolic analysis of Ghetsis' design, we do not only tackle its look but also the origin of its name.
    4) Reflection on the psychological facade and on the pretext of the release of Pokémon to dominate the world. Highlighting the character on his manipulative side (thus how he managed to manipulate all the people around him).
    5) The fall of his mask when N is beaten towards the end of the game. We will talk here about the true nature of Ghetsis and his real motivations.
    6) Analysis of the fight against Ghetsis, whether it be his battle theme, its Pokémon team and the sentences that it comes out during the fight.

For the second part, we deal with:
    1) The Neo Team Plasma and their destructive ambitions
    2) The way Ghetsis managed to revive Team Plasma
    3) Second physical and psychological analysis of Ghetsis
    4) Analysis of the fight against him
    5) Latent madness and fall of the character

Now, for the third part:
    1) The Ruins of the Abyss and the texts on the walls
    2) The royal origins of Ghetsis and his personal tragedy
    2) The hubris of Ghetsis and his desire to lead the region
    3) Conclusion of the article and answer to the questionning

So, what do you guys think of that? Do you have any additionnal suggestions on how to analyze or how to structure the text? Let me know in the comments! :)

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I think the article subject is interesting and there's a looot of thought put in already. Easy +1 to the general idea!

On how it's done... well, either it can be a single article with 3 pages, or an article series with one part per article. Depends how long each numbered point is - could see how long one part looks and adjust accordingly (with a short conclusion and intro to reflect whatever choice is made).

I wasn't aware of a controversy around Ghetsis' relevancy... curious. I definitely support analysis on his battle theme too, it's pretty iconic. dennis

Any scope for discussing his relation to N and the sages, not just his Pokemon team? And what about his appearance in USUM in the Rainbow Rocket plot?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'm always down for more analysis essays, but maybe this should wait until after A Dream of Your Own is finished publishing? It may be a bit confusing to readers since it's already being split up into multiple parts. Another concern of mine is that A Dream of Your Own is going to cover most, if not all, of the Ghetsis elements listed here specific to BW. On the Abyssal Ruins and "royal origins"--if assume correctly, it has to do with the writing in my signature, which would absolutely be covered in the B2W2 analysis, although that won't be for quite some time. So that isn't much of a worry, but rather, under what lens will this Ghetsis analysis be placed so that it differs enough from the analysis in A Dream of Your Own, which is already encompassing a rather broad narrative analysis approach?

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I actually did not play BW/BW2 (I know, I know, I'm a bad fan!) but for someone like me who doesn't know much about the character, only having heard the basics, this would be very interesting to read! Love the amount of thought you've put into it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    I think the article subject is interesting and there's a looot of thought put in already. Easy +1 to the general idea!

On how it's done... well, either it can be a single article with 3 pages, or an article series with one part per article. Depends how long each numbered point is - could see how long one part looks and adjust accordingly (with a short conclusion and intro to reflect whatever choice is made).

I wasn't aware of a controversy around Ghetsis' relevancy... curious. I definitely support analysis on his battle theme too, it's pretty iconic. dennis

Any scope for discussing his relation to N and the sages, not just his Pokemon team? And what about his appearance in USUM in the Rainbow Rocket plot?

Interesting, I will write the part 1 and see how it goes depending of how long it will be then! For me, I'm the one who is surprised that you never heard of that controversy O_O We clearly don't check the same sites lmao. Let me give you an example of what I found:
    "I just happen to agree that Unova was a largely s*** story, primarily because the story tried to be mature and adult yet fundamentally failed at doing so."...... Oof. There is a lot to say about that debate, you will see ^^
    And of course I will talk about the sages and the Rainbow Rocket plot :D You can't talk about Ghetsis without Team Plasma anyway so that includes the 7 sages!... For the USUM plot, well it gave us another perspective on the character so to do not talk about it would feel weird.

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    I'm always down for more analysis essays, but maybe this should wait until after A Dream of Your Own is finished publishing? It may be a bit confusing to readers since it's already being split up into multiple parts. Another concern of mine is that A Dream of Your Own is going to cover most, if not all, of the Ghetsis elements listed here specific to BW. On the Abyssal Ruins and "royal origins"--if assume correctly, it has to do with the writing in my signature, which would absolutely be covered in the B2W2 analysis, although that won't be for quite some time. So that isn't much of a worry, but rather, under what lens will this Ghetsis analysis be placed so that it differs enough from the analysis in A Dream of Your Own, which is already encompassing a rather broad narrative analysis approach?

I highly doubt this will be a problem? I will mostly talk about Ghetsis and that's it actually. Since you will talk about gen V as whole, it's quite easy to distingish the text, especially with the writting style, the subject of the article, the thumbnail used and even your name at the top of the article ;-; Otherwise to answer your question, I don't really know at what level of complexity you will approach Ghetsis. For my part, I intend to treat every facet of his person in the smallest details, from his history to the symbolic, conceptual and psychological level.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I highly doubt this will be a problem? I will mostly talk about Ghetsis and that's it actually. Since you will talk about gen V as whole, it's quite easy to distingish the text, especially with the writting style, the subject of the article, the thumbnail used and even your name at the top of the article ;-; Otherwise to answer your question, I don't really know at what level of complexity you will approach Ghetsis. For my part, I intend to treat every facet of his person in the smallest details, from his history to the symbolic, conceptual and psychological level.

What I mean by this is, each character gets their own chapter. Regardless of how similarly or differently we interpret the character, the idea itself is quite similar--an in-depth analysis of a particular character. Generally it's a good idea to space similar ideas like this out. For instance, most publications only review a game once, even if all their staff writers have differing opinions on it. Alternate opinions are usually published later down the line. It's partially for clarity--so visitors understand which is the "main review"--and partially to prevent oversaturation of the same subject.

I feel this is a great idea, but I think, regardless of when it's finished, it should be released a certain amount of time after the major BW article in order to have its own relevance.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Interesting, I will write the part 1 and see how it goes depending of how long it will be then! For me, I'm the one who is surprised that you never heard of that controversy O_O We clearly don't check the same sites lmao. Let me give you an example of what I found:
    "I just happen to agree that Unova was a largely s*** story, primarily because the story tried to be mature and adult yet fundamentally failed at doing so."...... Oof. There is a lot to say about that debate, you will see ^^
    And of course I will talk about the sages and the Rainbow Rocket plot :D You can't talk about Ghetsis without Team Plasma anyway so that includes the 7 sages!... For the USUM plot, well it gave us another perspective on the character so to do not talk about it would feel weird.
    Oh, I've seen complaints before including for the story, but not so much specifically on Ghetsis himself. That's not part of the quote you pulled either.

Yay for rainbow rocket plot discussion.

Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2021
    What I mean by this is, each character gets their own chapter. Regardless of how similarly or differently we interpret the character, the idea itself is quite similar--an in-depth analysis of a particular character. Generally it's a good idea to space similar ideas like this out. For instance, most publications only review a game once, even if all their staff writers have differing opinions on it. Alternate opinions are usually published later down the line. It's partially for clarity--so visitors understand which is the "main review"--and partially to prevent oversaturation of the same subject.

I feel this is a great idea, but I think, regardless of when it's finished, it should be released a certain amount of time after the major BW article in order to have its own relevance.

Well technically, if I consider how complex your articles are, this could take ages before seeing the end of A dream of your own. You suggested the idea of this subject in 2016 iirc and yet we only saw the first parts of it in 2020 o_O So my question is, do you have any release date in mind for the parts that will talk about Ghetsis? Because at this rate, I already have a lot of my first part wroten and logically, if I release it in the next weeks, it should't be an issue at all. If we consider that it might takes you a long time before posting your own part about Ghetsis, clarity and relevance of my potential future post are not the issue here. I'm not sure to see how fair it is for me, for example, to wait for a while if I ever manage to finish before. Especially if you didn't had the intention to release anything soon :/

Oh, I've seen complaints before including for the story, but not so much specifically on Ghetsis himself. That's not part of the quote you pulled either.

Yay for rainbow rocket plot discussion.

Yeah I know don't worry, I do have explicit quotes about Ghetsis too, but I didn't want to spoil anything x) It was more to give you an idea of the tone but if you already knew about the story polemic of BW, then uou're gonna like the one about Ghetsis too (you could also look on the Internet too actually)!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Well technically, if I consider how complex your articles are, this could take ages before seeing the end of A dream of your own. You suggested the idea of this subject in 2016 iirc and yet we only saw the first parts of it in 2020 o_O So my question is, do you have any release date in mind for the parts that will talk about Ghetsis? Because at this rate, I already have a lot of my first part wroten and logically, if I release it in the next weeks, it should't be an issue at all. If we consider that it might takes you a long time before posting your own part about Ghetsis, clarity and relevance of my potential future post are not the issue here. I'm not sure to see how fair it is for me, for example, to wait for a while if I ever manage to finish before. Especially if you didn't had the intention to release anything soon :/
    Sorry! Research takes a long time, and in addition to publishing for PC Daily, I also write elsewhere and am a full-time graduate student... and before this year, I was employed full-time as well. This was already a very massive endeavor, as you can imagine, even without external factors affecting my workflow. And I'm sure your Ghetsis article will be thoroughly researched as well. Unless it's already written, I feel your care and attention to detail will mean it won't be done in the next few days, certainly.

It was my intention to finish it all a lot earlier, but alas... Early November, or hopefully even earlier, is the latest I'm planning for the character section, so by all means your article would surely be up before the year is over if you're finished that quickly. And if you happen to take longer, then there will be no problem whatsoever.

Back