• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Newest Pokémon movie tops list in Japan

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Personally, I find that the movie has numerous issues, and I'm basing this on a detailed summary posted by someone (sunyshore) who really liked it. The AU angle is rather forced, half-baked and arguably unfitting for the 20th anniversary. Worse still, the encounter with Ho-Oh is reduced to yet another symbolism of Ash and Pikachu's relationship.

Yeah, I agree. Even ignoring their tasteless removal of Misty and Brock, there were SEVERAL problems with the movie, including the AU angle and even Ho-Oh being badly handled (and probably the only reason I was looking forward to it even AFTER I learned the distasteful treatment of Misty and to a lesser extent Brock and Gary was because of it potentially expanding on the connection between Ash and Ho-Oh, and they failed at even that.). It also doesn't help that the film seems divorced from the tie-in mangas, which arguably made even making those mangas seem completely pointless (Marshadow in the tie-in manga had a completely different personality than in the movie, where the latter was essentially Mephiles the Dark from Sonic the Hedgehog).

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Well, it's back down to its number 6 position (it probably only got back up to 4th place because of it being a three day weekend and there being a special Pikachu thing for Pokemon Go). And Dogasu indicated that it's definitely surpassed Volcanion at the very least (no word on whether it surpassed Hoopa, Heroes, or Diancie yet, at least on his end.).

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Dropped down to eighth place this week. That said, we don't need to worry about it underperforming Pokémon Heroes at this rate, as it is within the Best Wishes movies' range, which overall did better than XY's movie lineup, never mind Pokémon Heroes, which until the Hoopa movie did the worst of the film franchise.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It's fair to say this is the best performing movie since BW, even if it did have problems like trying to promote too much at once. It all but confirms that XY was the worst series for movies.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
  • To be fair Diancie, Hoopa, and Volcanion where not very popular pokemon among the Japanese fan base. Compared to, Victini, Zekrom, Reshiram, The swords of Justice, and Genesect.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    New information: It's now in ninth place, or is it eighth. Dogasu said the latter, but the graph he posted indicated the former:

http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/

Well, either way, it's just barely still in the running of top 10, and is the oldest one on the list now that Mary and the Witch's Flower is out of the running.

Back