• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Sword and Shield - Is it worth buying it?

Years
  • I have been thinking about getting Sword and Shield for a while, but I'm still unsure about it. Many people have been saying that the games are a disappointment and the fact that they are way too easy. I really want to experience Galar, and I think that some of the Pokemon look cool, but I'm afraid that the game will disappoint me. So, should I buy the games, or not?

Years
  • imo, yes. I find the music in this gen incredible and, if you're planning on buying the dlc as well, dynamax adventures to be extremely fun for the long-term for shiny hunters (due to boosted shiny rates there). Honestly, since you're saying you 'really want to experience Galar,' I definitely think that alone is enough of a reason to purchase. People are naturally more critical of SwSh due to the dexit fiasco, which makes them pay more attention to the flaws. There are definitely flaws, same with all previous games, but I think it was a fun ride and you'll probably like it a lot!

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • No definitely play it, don't listen to everyome else. Just do whatever you feel like. For me, my thoughts on the game are still relatively mixed, but overall, it is very much worth it.

Years
  • ask yourself these questions before purchasing the game to see if its purchase is really justifiable:

• does the dex cut bother me?
    • how do i feel about the pokemon design of this region?
    • how do i feel about the theme of this region being sports-y?
    • is the wild area something i can foresee myself spending a lot of time on? similarly, are max raid battles and dynamax adventures something i'd be interesting in?

if the answer to all of the above questions leans more or less on the positive side, then i'd say go for it. swsh's negative reputation mostly comes from the dex cut and the fact that it isn't, well... anywhere close to zelda: breath of the wild as much as people wanted. the dlc managed to alleviate its reputation by making big improvements, but then there's the whole "well these sort of improvements should've been in the base game to begin with".

but i digress. what matters is whether or not (based on whatever research you've done into the game so far, if any) you'd get any enjoyment out of it. that's how one really determines a product's real value, right?

Back