• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] The Pokémon Essentials Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
  • By OnStep Lag are you referring to NPC's getting a little jumping when they are moving in relation to your character?

I am having this problem, events on the screen that are visible just seem to have a hard time moving smoothly when I am walking, and I am pretty sure it is not my computer causing the issue.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    In any case, Essentials will eventually have all moves, items, abilities and Pokémon from all 5 generations, EXCEPT no Gen 5 Pokémon - the only reason for this is that the back sprites for Unova Pokémon don't match the others (and no, the battle system isn't being revamped). I'm bound to get a lot of complaints about this, but there you are.

Replace Gen I-IV back sprites with Gen V back sprites, problem solved.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I know I tried fixing that bug too, but it is easy to fix the frame rate to make the game run smoothly, If you want I can fix character walk and stuff for you.
    Changing the frame rate is easy, but as I said, all the animations will be sped up. Try changing it, then seeing how quickly wild Pokémon slide in in battles, or how quickly Poké Balls are thrown, or etc. etc.

Replace Gen I-IV back sprites with Gen V back sprites, problem solved.
    Except not, because that would involve a change to the battle system, which I said wasn't happening.

The only possible solution here is to edit the Gen 5 back sprites to cut off the bottoms, and display as usual, but that involves editing and they'll still be pixellated/different style to the other back sprites. Besides, they're all kinds of sizes, and that might make the battle screen look untidy.

The generation update won't happen for a while yet anyway. A solution/compromise might present itself.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • Changing the frame rate is easy, but as I said, all the animations will be sped up. Try changing it, then seeing how quickly wild Pokémon slide in in battles, or how quickly Poké Balls are thrown, or etc. etc.

Okay, but i suggest using the link i provided previous post so if you have people following the starter kit from the beggining or previous versions, and they have done custom coding in the starter kit they can know what you have changed, fixed, or implemented in the starter kit, It is very easy, just do what the TUT says then upload then it automatically makes a revision log that can be easy to view.

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
    Years
  • That's something you should ask the maker of the Unova pack about. This is a thread about Essentials.
    Yes but I tried it with an earlier version of essentials and it worked, the newer version compiles differently from what I could tell.

In any case, Essentials will eventually have all moves, items, abilities and Pokémon from all 5 generations, EXCEPT no Gen 5 Pokémon - the only reason for this is that the back sprites for Unova Pokémon don't match the others (and no, the battle system isn't being revamped). I'm bound to get a lot of complaints about this, but there you are.
    I think this is a good idea because people will have to edit it themselves and it will add variety to people's games.

That's something you should ask the maker of the Unova pack about. This is a thread about Essentials.
    Yes but I tried it with an earlier version of essentials and it worked, the newer version compiles differently from what I could tell.

I think this is a good idea because people will have to edit it themselves and it will add variety to people's games.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    Except not, because that would involve a change to the battle system, which I said wasn't happening.

The only possible solution here is to edit the Gen 5 back sprites to cut off the bottoms, and display as usual, but that involves editing and they'll still be pixellated/different style to the other back sprites. Besides, they're all kinds of sizes, and that might make the battle screen look untidy.

But using BattlerPlayerY in pokemon.txt would allow you to lower guys to appropriate level, without having to cut anyone off. The battle command text boxes are drawn above the back sprite, so this would achieve that much easier.

And like I said, if everyone was given Gen V back sprites, I don't see why they'd be in a "different style" then anyone else's backsprite since it's all from the same game! The pixelation would be the only issue.

EDIT
    Here are examples using Gen V backsprites
    2wf1rgl.jpg

Even the big guy fits
    2isa9s1.jpg

No battle system editing necessary.

Last edited:

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • udivisions method looks pretty good,

I would just leave it, no need to add gen5 pokemon
    Spoiler:

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • The only thing really needed into the battle system is all the mechanics it doesn't have

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • udivisions method looks pretty good,

I would just leave it, no need to add gen5 pokemon
    Spoiler:

Minccino and Zoroark would like to have a word with you.

The only reason I would agree that there's no need to add them is because adding Pokémon is simple enough as is, and anyone with the competence could implement them is a fairly short amount of time.

Using that logic however, why not save people the time, since game development take long enough as it is? If all Gen I-V Pokémon were available to begin with, deleting a block of text is much easier and faster than writing one out.

So, simple answer: If somebody wants to add the Generation V Pokémon to the starter kit so it's easily available, why stop them?

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    (All) Real Pokemon should be in the Starter Kit.
    Fake Pokemon can be added by the user.
    This makes the most sense.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • Wow maruno this topic has blown up :) i'll do the test with the lag/stress test so to speak if i get time (Dont Count on me though), testing each feature and pressing essentials to the limit, to see what causes the lag, and what reduces the lag... Remember i will do this if i get time.. i got a few other things that take priority...

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Okay, but i suggest using the link i provided previous post so if you have people following the starter kit from the beggining or previous versions, and they have done custom coding in the starter kit they can know what you have changed, fixed, or implemented in the starter kit, It is very easy, just do what the TUT says then upload then it automatically makes a revision log that can be easy to view.
    What link? I don't recall seeing something like that mentioned before. And could this change tracker pick up on differences in the script files?

We have the change log already, of course.

But using BattlerPlayerY in pokemon.txt would allow you to lower guys to appropriate level, without having to cut anyone off. The battle command text boxes are drawn above the back sprite, so this would achieve that much easier.

And like I said, if everyone was given Gen V back sprites, I don't see why they'd be in a "different style" then anyone else's backsprite since it's all from the same game! The pixelation would be the only issue.

EDIT
    Here are examples using Gen V backsprites
    2wf1rgl.jpg

Even the big guy fits
    2isa9s1.jpg

No battle system editing necessary.
    The point is that the back sprite should be closer to the player than the enemy, and so should be bigger. The Gen 5 games double the size of the back sprite (hence the pixellating) in the standard view.

As I said, something will be figured out at some point. Adding the Gen 5 Pokémon isn't a priority at the moment, because there are more important things to do (things which could potentially affect this issue).

The only thing really needed into the battle system is all the mechanics it doesn't have
    Such as...? Do you mean move/ability/item effects, or proper battle mechanics?

(All) Real Pokemon should be in the Starter Kit.
    Fake Pokemon can be added by the user.
    This makes the most sense.
    I was flirting with the idea of maybe including some fakemon in Essentials eventually (with permission, of course), as optional extras. I'm sure most people are utterly overprotective of their sprites, though, so it wouldn't pan out; it was just a brief thought. No plans.

Wow maruno this topic has blown up :) i'll do the test with the lag/stress test so to speak if i get time (Dont Count on me though), testing each feature and pressing essentials to the limit, to see what causes the lag, and what reduces the lag... Remember i will do this if i get time.. i got a few other things that take priority...
    Any help would... help, thanks. You've made it clear you get all the lag, so you're well qualified to say where it turns up. Your reaction to the day/night system downgrade should be interesting.

Obvious things like huge maps with loads of events doesn't count, by the way. Use reasonably-sized and -populated maps, bearing in mind you can (should) split multi-square routes into parts.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
    Years
  • What link? I don't recall seeing something like that mentioned before. And could this change tracker pick up on differences in the script files?

We have the change log already, of course.

Such as...? Do you mean move/ability/item effects, or proper battle mechanics?

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=254065

It can pick up script differences, newly added scripts.
    Look for Svn on google, and a more better explanation is
    here. Also like you mentioned when you quoted me about the mechanics if I recall correctly isn't it all 3rd gen mechanics?

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    The point is that the back sprite should be closer to the player than the enemy, and so should be bigger. The Gen 5 games double the size of the back sprite (hence the pixellating) in the standard view.

As I said, something will be figured out at some point. Adding the Gen 5 Pokémon isn't a priority at the moment, because there are more important things to do (things which could potentially affect this issue).
    I actually prefer the nonpixellation, and other's have expressed that this is a solution. Manual scaling of the sprites could be done as well since all sprites have already been maually scaled to 2x.

All other factors aside, I think this is a solution of sorts.

Here's 3x:
    33k9isy.jpg

And with the big guy:
    24qiret.jpg

From what I've seen of Black and white, there's no smoothing or anti-aliasing of the zoomed sprite in-game, so I don't see a problem with how this looks. Those could be applied if desired.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=254065

It can pick up script differences, newly added scripts.
    Look for Svn on google, and a more better explanation is
    here. Also like you mentioned when you quoted me about the mechanics if I recall correctly isn't it all 3rd gen mechanics?
    Interesting.

Essentials is based on the Gen 3 games, so everything works as they do. I'm not sure there are any significant differences between Gen 3 and Gen 5 battles, actually. Just little things, like Pokémon glowing a colour if they have a status.

I actually prefer the nonpixellation, and other's have expressed that this is a solution. Manual scaling of the sprites could be done as well since all sprites have already been maually scaled to 2x.

All other factors aside, I think this is a solution of sorts.

Here's 3x:

And with the big guy:

From what I've seen of Black and white, there's no smoothing or anti-aliasing of the zoomed sprite in-game, so I don't see a problem with how this looks. Those could be applied if desired.
    I'm still going to put it to one side for the time being. There are better things to be doing than faffing over back sprites.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2020
    I'm still going to put it to one side for the time being. There are better things to be doing than faffing over back sprites.
    Okay. Like you said, none of this matters in the immediate future.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
  • I was flirting with the idea of maybe including some fakemon in Essentials eventually (with permission, of course), as optional extras. I'm sure most people are utterly overprotective of their sprites, though, so it wouldn't pan out; it was just a brief thought. No plans.

Most people are protective are there own plans, but it might be interesting to have one or two non-canon Pokémon for the lols, possibly for showing of some aspects of the kit that are not necessarily the same as in the canonical games. As a rule however, I'm slightly against the idea of Fakemon, as it just seems unnecessary. How ever, to quote my own words...
    why stop them?

Also, here's an idea I've had for a while about those multiple-map-routes like you mentioned. How do you like the idea of the kit automatically not showing the name if the player enters a new map with an identical name to the previous map? It shouldn't be too difficult, no?

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
  • What about the people who do not want fakemon in their games? Seems to me like those who want to add their own fakemon are generally more keen on how to add pokemon as opposed to some people who know nothing of RMXP and need to remove a pokemon because not only do they not want fakemon in their, they have to figure out how to remove one which is not something that is commonly done.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back