• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] The Pokémon Essentials Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
I've been doing a little more than just applying the bug fixes on the wiki. My change log has about 50 things on it, just over half of which are bug fixes. I just keep discovering more things to tweak.

However, I've decided I'm just about done with the first new version now. Unless I can think of anything else I can quickly fiddle with, I'll release it in the next day or so. There'll be a lot of wiki editing to go with it!

The point is to make the new versions better. The old versions aren't supported as it is, and I haven't seen a demand for years-old versions yet (aside from you).

Any news on when the lag started to come in?

I know quite of few people using the old versions i requested, and both versions work fine on my computer i'm currently using the 09 version on my personal project, so i would assume its any one version after the 09 versions

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020
I don't think anyone wants to go through and make all the animations, so I propose that we just make 1 for every type of move. Poccil already provided Stat Up/ Stat Down, so we just need 17 more simple anims of attacks. I think this would fit PE rather than having to remake them all, although that could possibly be done in the future.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Everyone, you should probably check the wiki because...

A new version of Pokémon Essentials has been released!

Link: Pokémon Essentials Wiki

There's a sizeable change log also available, which I think makes for interesting reading. It's really striking how much can be (and has been) changed, and there's plenty besides that still to do.

What do you want to happen with Essentials now? The kit is for you, after all. There are some plans floating around already, but I want to hear what you think.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
Everyone, you should probably check the wiki because...

A new version of Pokémon Essentials has been released!

Link: Pokémon Essentials Wiki

There's a sizeable change log also available, which I think makes for interesting reading. It's really striking how much can be (and has been) changed, and there's plenty besides that still to do.

What do you want to happen with Essentials now? The kit is for you, after all. There are some plans floating around already, but I want to hear what you think.

Very nice work, I look forward to future updates.

Edit - I am definitely downloading this one, I have skipped previous updates for various reasons, but I am quite pleased with some of the bug fixes :)

thepsynergist

Vinemon: Sauce Edition Programmer and Composer
Years
Can you list the changes you made? I don't really wanna upgrade my essentials since its so heavily edited, but I would like to know what you fixed.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
It's unbelievable how reliable you are. You are probably most of the reason that Essentials is still used a lot (since you are one of the minority who knows what they're doing AND still offered help to those that didn't. And even categorized everything in a Wiki.). Anyways, is there a list of credits for the kit? Poccil and Flameguru are obvious enough, but you should include yourself and others who contributed miscellaneous fixes. And the obscure ones like SoundSpawn who are credited in the scripts (which many people never even read).

EDIT: And I just noticed you tabbed and spaced everything neatly. Thanks for saving me the time I was preparing to waste doing so myself. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
Years
Wow maruno you did alot in a little bit of time i'm impressed a few more updates like that and i'm gonna download essentials again

Awkward Squirtle

,@,e .ºoO
Years
  • Seen Jan 29, 2016
Props to Maruno and anyone else who made this possible.
I've messed around with Essentials before, so I'm quite familiar with it; I appreciate the amount of effort that must have gone into updating that jungle of code :)
I hope all you Essentials users put it to good use (I'm not making a Pokémon game at the moment, so I don't have any use for it).

Maruno

Years
KingChar, maybe you should just disable Day/Night functions until it's resolved. That's what I did, and I think that got rid of most of the lag.

If that's true Maruno, that's good news!
I'd like to know if the downgrade has done anything to reduce lag. Any comments?

I know quite of few people using the old versions i requested, and both versions work fine on my computer i'm currently using the 09 version on my personal project, so i would assume its any one version after the 09 versions
That's not really helpful, as there will have been a load of changes made, and it'll be really hard to pinpoint the ones that caused lag.

I'll look into uploading the other old versions I have. If anyone has any other old versions, please add them to the downloads page!

What I'd like is for someone to go through various versions and see what kind of lag they get in similar situations in each of them. Try and come up with a series of tests you can do to force lag to turn up, and see how bad it is and report back! I want to find some prime causes, so I can then at least start trying to fix them.

I don't think anyone wants to go through and make all the animations, so I propose that we just make 1 for every type of move. Poccil already provided Stat Up/ Stat Down, so we just need 17 more simple anims of attacks. I think this would fit PE rather than having to remake them all, although that could possibly be done in the future.
That's an interesting idea. It'd be a change to the placeholder animation (i.e. 17 of them instead), but it'd give the games a nicer feel, at least until individual animations are added.

I'm dreading looking at the move animations, because they're bound to be complicated, and I'm not that good with graphical things like that anyway. I will definitely accept contributions!

Downloading right now!

EDIT:
Bide has no PP!
First bug!

That's just a minor problem with the PBS file. Just make the following change:

Code:
117,BIDE,Bide,1A,1,NORMAL,Physical,0,[COLOR=Red]10,100,00,1,abf,Tough[/COLOR],"The user endures attacks for two turns, then strikes back to cause double the damage taken."
Will that work?

It's unbelievable how reliable you are. You are probably most of the reason that Essentials is still used a lot (since you are one of the minority who knows what they're doing AND still offered help to those that didn't. And even categorized everything in a Wiki.). Anyways, is there a list of credits for the kit? Poccil and Flameguru are obvious enough, but you should include yourself and others who contributed miscellaneous fixes. And the obscure ones like SoundSpawn who are credited in the scripts (which many people never even read).

EDIT: And I just noticed you tabbed and spaced everything neatly. Thanks for saving me the time I was preparing to waste doing so myself. Much appreciated.
That tabbing took me hours and hours, and was the first thing I did. Glad to see someone noticed! There should be some more script layout improvements to come (including one I'm sure you haven't thought of :cool:).

Credits is also something I'm dreading compiling, since that information will be all over the place. They will be put in the in-game credits after the user-defined ones, as well as somewhere on the wiki. I need a big list made, though, and it'd be nice if someone else could have a crack at it.

Wow maruno you did alot in a little bit of time i'm impressed a few more updates like that and i'm gonna download essentials again
Coming from the Champion of the Old Versions, that's something. :laugh: As I've said plenty of times before, tell me what you want fixing/tweaking and I'll look into it.

Oh, and I also keep saying this is a community project now. You're all allowed to chip in! And remember that the wiki counts as part of Essentials, so just do what you can!

Props to Maruno and anyone else who made this possible.
I've messed around with Essentials before, so I'm quite familiar with it; I appreciate the amount of effort that must have gone into updating that jungle of code :)
I hope all you Essentials users put it to good use (I'm not making a Pokémon game at the moment, so I don't have any use for it).
It's very much a jungle in there, but I want to get it to the point where most users won't need to wade into it (mixed metaphors). If it can get to the point where an average game doesn't need any script changes at all, that'd be fantastic.

It's nice to see some enthusiasm for the kit again. Now that the main bugs have been wiped out, perhaps we can get things going properly here.

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020
In addition to the obvious credits:
SoundSpawn
Popper
MiDas Mike
Wachunga
Genzai Kawakami
Rataime
Boushy
Jacob O. Wobbrock
Lisa Anthony
Maruno
Pokemon Essentials Wiki Team <= Yea, very lazy

Was that helpful? I went through the title parts of all the scripts
I should probably figure out how to join the wiki and be more helpful there. I have some ideas, and I'm willing to test stuff.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Yes Maruno i see lags reduce my game now works 38-40 not less. Great work on new version.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Very Very nice, A few things I might suggest is to use this It is really useful and helpful. Also I suggest changing the frame rate to 60 CRTL + SHIFT + F then type Graphics.frame_rate=40 and change the 40 to 60. Also another bug I noticed, and it has been in Essentials for awhile is water reflections:

2ikied.png

notice how the sprit reflection of a person is moving instead of the tree reflection, the tree reflection disposes when you move down and cannot see the original tree event, but the player event is being dragged down.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen Apr 30, 2024
Well done Maruno! You're really competent!
I think that you need to post more things about this new version at the official Pokécommunity Essentials thread.
Something that for me is one of worst things that poccil make is to put the Trainer Battlers and Overworld in same folder! I think that will be better to separathe them.
For me the most important things is to fix the Battle Tower and make a recordable Hall of Fame.

Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2020
Hmm, I'm noticing some OnStep lag although that could just be my compy. But I'm assuming every step you take there's a lot that's being processed.

Florio

Pokemon Crimson Skies Owner
Years
Hey, I tried adding the Unova pack to the updated kit and for some reason the pokemon have no names and any new moves added are blank. Just thought I'de tell you, probably a compiling error.

Maruno

Years
In addition to the obvious credits:

Was that helpful? I went through the title parts of all the scripts
I should probably figure out how to join the wiki and be more helpful there. I have some ideas, and I'm willing to test stuff.
That helps, thanks.

Yes Maruno i see lags reduce my game now works 38-40 not less. Great work on new version.
Good to hear.

Very Very nice, A few things I might suggest is to use this It is really useful and helpful. Also I suggest changing the frame rate to 60 CRTL + SHIFT + F then type Graphics.frame_rate=40 and change the 40 to 60. Also another bug I noticed, and it has been in Essentials for awhile is water reflections:

2ikied.png

notice how the sprit reflection of a person is moving instead of the tree reflection, the tree reflection disposes when you move down and cannot see the original tree event, but the player event is being dragged down.
Most animations in Essentials are done per frame, not per second. Changing the frame rate would change how quickly the game goes, which isn't going to happen.

That bug is yet another reason why I don't like reflections.

Well done Maruno! You're really competent!
I think that you need to post more things about this new version at the official Pokécommunity Essentials thread.
Something that for me is one of worst things that poccil make is to put the Trainer Battlers and Overworld in same folder! I think that will be better to separathe them.
For me the most important things is to fix the Battle Tower and make a recordable Hall of Fame.
The trainer back sprites are now also in the Characters folder. I don't think it's that bad, though; you're hardly likely to confuse them.

I know nothing about the Battle Tower - I've never played them in the official games, so I don't know how they work. There's a few other Battle places in Essentials too, and I don't know what they do either.

A Hall of Fame is pretty easy to make, though, but it's low priority since no one's going to reach the stage where they're putting one into their games for ages.

Hmm, I'm noticing some OnStep lag although that could just be my compy. But I'm assuming every step you take there's a lot that's being processed.
There's happiness, phone calls, poison and so forth that are checked per step, plus the updating of the graphics of course. It may just be your computer.

Hey, I tried adding the Unova pack to the updated kit and for some reason the pokemon have no names and any new moves added are blank. Just thought I'de tell you, probably a compiling error.
That's something you should ask the maker of the Unova pack about. This is a thread about Essentials.

In any case, Essentials will eventually have all moves, items, abilities and Pokémon from all 5 generations, EXCEPT no Gen 5 Pokémon - the only reason for this is that the back sprites for Unova Pokémon don't match the others (and no, the battle system isn't being revamped). I'm bound to get a lot of complaints about this, but there you are.

zingzags

PokemonGDX creator
Years
Most animations in Essentials are done per frame, not per second. Changing the frame rate would change how quickly the game goes, which isn't going to happen.

That bug is yet another reason why I don't like reflections.

I know I tried fixing that bug too, but it is easy to fix the frame rate to make the game run smoothly, If you want I can fix character walk and stuff for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back