• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Which are your favourite sprites in Pokémon Red and Blue?

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I like the original generation games quite a lot, so much that I even have a Game Boy emulator with Pokémon Red on my phone which I play from time to time. Something I've always found interesting about the Red and Blue versions are the Pokémon sprites. Some of them are weird, others are funny, etc...
    Among my list I'd surely put, as honorable mentions, the likes of Pidgeot & Nidoran♀ (who look like two torpedoes), Gyarados (no explanation needed), Primeape & Gastly (something about their pixels just went offline) and Magmar (who looks like a sad old man).
    018.png
    029.png
    130.png
    057.png
    092.png
    126.png

I am putting an attachment for the sprites I selected as well, just in case of views' issues.

So... Any funny sprite you want to remember, in particular?

Attachments

• rbsprites.png
      rbsprites.png
      8.1 KB · Views: 1

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I hated all the sprites from Red and Blue to be honest. The art was very pretty ... pretty horrible.

I mean, look at that Gastly? What in the world is that? 😖

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Sweet Serenity said:
    I hated all the sprites from Red and Blue to be honest. The art was very pretty ... pretty horrible.

Seems like the poor thing lost a few pixels along its way to the Pokémon tower.

Years
  • There are few that I find funny:
    wigglytuff.png
    golbat.png
    mankey.png
    machamp.png
    grimer.png

Just look at that Grimer. It looks so happy to be there. Maykey is shaped like heart for some reason. The rest looks so derp.

Years
  • I hated all the sprites from Red and Blue to be honest. The art was very pretty ... pretty horrible.

I wholeheartedly agree. It's the main reason I dislike playing red and blue, and why I prefer yellow despite it having some problems. I wish there was a rom hack of red and blue that changed the sprites to yellow.

Back