• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The best and most unusual teams you have used in Gen 4

Years
  • What are the best and most unusual teams you have used in Gen 4.

Best teams

Diamond

Torterra
    Honchkrow
    Pachirisu
    Skuntank
    Vespiquen
    Manaphy (Egg transferred from Ranger)

Pearl

Infernape
    Drifblim
    Carnivine
    Gastrodon (East Sea)
    Bronzong
    Purugly (Male)

Platinum

Empoleon
    Staraptor
    Luxray
    Abomasnow
    Garchomp
    Spiritomb

HeartGold

Feraligatr
    Noctowl
    Ampharos
    Magcargo (Egg from Primo hatched as a Slugma)
    Steelix
    Ariados

SoulSilver

Meganium
    Skarmory
    Lanturn
    Hitmontop
    Granbull
    Forretress

Unusual Teams

Diamond

Infernape
    Chatot
    Rampardos
    Pachirisu
    Lumineon
    Weavile

Pearl

Torterra
    Crobat
    Bibarel
    Hippowdon (Male)
    Rapidash
    Bastidon

Platinum

Empoleon
    Noctowl
    Houndoom
    Luxray
    Mothim
    Froslass

HeartGold

Typhlosion
    Noctowl
    Ampharos
    Politoed
    Hitmontop
    Sunflora

SoulSilver

Meganium
    Skarmory
    Corsola
    Ursaring
    Magcargo (Egg from Primo hatched as Slugma)
    Umbreon

Years
  • I didn't do that many Gen 4 playthroughs so most of my Gen 4 teams are "normal" and made out of Pokemon that I find cool and/or strong so no super unusual teams in this generation. If I had to pick then I'd go with either my second Pearl team or my second SoulSilver team but I don't even think they are very unusual.

Pearl team: Torterra, Machamp, Honchkrow, Magmortar, Girafarig and Milotic.
    I guess what makes this team different than most is the fact that I traded myself two Eggs (Murkrow and Magby) from HeartGold early on in the playthrough, Eggs of Pokemon that aren't normally obtainable in Pearl. Honchkrow line is exclusive to Diamond version and Magmortar line isn't obtainable until the post-game I believe. Maybe also having a Girafarig on my team is unusual since not that many people use this Pokemon in their playthroughs.

SoulSilver team: Feraligatr, Noctowl, Golem, Scizor, Glaceon and Mismagius.
    This team is also different than most Johto teams because I was able to obtain normally unavailable Pokemon by having 2 consoles and trading between games. As you probably know, you can't evolve Eevee into Glaceon or Leafeon in Johto but I was able to trade Bill's Eevee to my Pearl, evolve it into a Glaceon there and trade it back to my SoulSilver. Mismagius is also a hard one to get before the post-game even though Misdreavus is catchable in Safari Zone because it's really hard (almost impossible) to get the Dusk Stone before the post-game in SoulSilver but I was able to trade over a Dusk Stone from my Pearl as soon as I caught Misdreavus in the Safari Zone.

Last edited:

Poke fan number 489

pokemon fan
    Years
    • He/Him/His
    • Earth
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    One time I got bored, and I tried to tackle the entire game with turtwig. I don't even like turtwig that much.

They also failed. Couldn't learn all the hms.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Renewing my post because of a sprites' bug I noticed in the previous one.
    I played Pokémon Platinum and Soul Silver as far as my fourth generation experience went.

In Platinum:
    395.png
    426.png
    455.png
    474.png
    461-m.png
    445-m.png

Meanwhile in Soul Silver:
    157.png
    189.png
    199.png
    205.png
    237.png
    248.png

Years
  • I went through DP with a team of just Pachirisu and Chatot before, iirc - but can't remember if I beat the whole game. Cynthia probably would've been too tough. Other underused mons I used were Vespiquen and Chimchar (unevolved). Fun!

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I think my first Pokemon team was Empoleon, Dialga, Pachirisu, Graveler, and something else. I feel like I only had 5 Pokemon on my team, or the 6th team member was something I never settled on. Idk it's been almost 13 years at this point.

Back