• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Am I picking the best parts available?

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
  • So I've been fighting myself for about the past year over whether or not I should build a new PC before the end of the year given how outrageous graphics card prices have been... only to finally buckle after realizing I probably won't be moving in 2022, so I'll have some cash to spare.

Given that I've been arguing with myself over the past year, I've built several different computers on pcpartpicker - but, I've only physically built one other computer before so I'm not too too confident in what I'm doing and what's really better than what when it comes to parts. I do have a budget of around $3500, and hope that in the next two months or so before I finally buy the graphics card for the PC they'll have gone down at least a tiny bit more so maybe I can afford some extra software I've been eyeing. I think my biggest worries right now with what I've got and the current state of the market, is whether I'm getting the best mobo that I should right now with everything else going onto it.

Without further ado, this is the list I've currently settled on: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yjpG9N

CPU: Go big or go home, right? That said, I'm not about to pay ~$300 more in some cases for a 5950 and it should be more than enough for pretty much everything I could want to use it for.

Cooler: Three fans. AIO. Digital display so I don't have to open an extra program to check temps. It's all I could really want - minus maybe some rgb or something a bit quieter.

Mobo: Pretty much everything I could want and not terribly expensive either. Gives a little bit of futureproofing potential in the case that I want to switch up some stuff down the line or fill some more slots.

Memory: I know I probably won't need 64 gb of it, but it never hurts to have more, right? And look, rgb.

Storage: One m.2 for an OP boot drive, and one for all my games. Probably could go for a smaller size on a boot drive - but consistency. And then of course ol reliable 8 tb hdd for everything else on the computer.

Video card: Price and performance from what I've seen puts the 6700xt right between a 3060 and a 3070 which seems pretty comfy and is still roughly 140% better than my current 970. If prices do fall a decent amount, I'll probably go for the 6800xt. Unless between now and then card prices drop back down closer to msrp, I doubt I'll even really be looking at something like a 3080ti or a 6900xt.

Case: This is what kicked it all off for me. I spent a couple nights this past week glossing through some cases and finally settled on this one. I might look at replacing the front fans later for something a little better if it's not too much hassle, but for what it is it was reviewed well and looks nice enough.

PSU: 750w is a little more than what I might need, but it helps with future-proofing.

OS: Considering Linux since I should be able to run a vm of windows with what I have going into the build. But when the time comes I may also just decide that I don't want to deal with all the extra work and just go windows 10 lol

Extras: Probably also going to grab an internal elgato or something else similar for streaming/recording.

Years
  • Everything looks really solid here for the budget you gave, and I love that you stayed well within it too. Expect a beast <3

As for Zach's comment, I've used both Seagate and WD and have had little to no issues with either. So if you were to ask me, I'd say get whichever is cheaper and or more readily available. Might even wanna consider a NAS drive if you don't mind not turning off your PC all that often. Those kinds have way larger storage options.

Back