• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Keyboard is still not working properly

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • A few months ago, I asked what those blank keys in between the arrow keys are called and got no concrete response on what they are. My keyboard still isn't working properly without me having to literally tape down that exact spot. Sometimes the tape doesn't work, either, and I have to reapply it over and over again.

71M-uBunLLL.jpg
    Do you see those blank spots near the arrow keys? What are those called? I really need help with this I have to possibly get the entire insides of my laptop keyboard repaired, and not knowing what those empty unusable keys called really hinders that. Underneath this key was a rubber piece, but it is long gone. The left blank key came completely lose one day and ever since then, my keyboard has been broken without tape underneath it or applying an extreme amount of pressure on that empty spot.

This isn't a picture of my laptop, btw, it's the same model, though.

I'm really frustrated that my keyboard sometimes stops working unless I literally tape down the component underneath it. I cannot just simply google this. I already tried "empty keys on keyboard" and nothing at all comes up, so do anyone here who has expertise in computers know? It'll really help me get this thing repaired so I don't have to deal with this anymore.

Also, yes I've tried uninstalling the keyboard driver. That did not work. Tried that the day of when I first noticed the overall unresponsiveness that is my keyboard. I know the issue is something inside the computer completely outside my control, and that a simple driver reinstall and uninstall won't work. If I have to, I will take pictures of the keyboard w/o the tape to show the chip(?) (it looks like some sort of chip idk what to call it) underneath there, but then I'd have to reapply the tape again, so for now I will not.

TL;DR; please help me Latitude E6400, Windows 10, etc.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I recommend to replace the keyboard, it's pretty easy.

I'll watch this later, but I'd probably have to pay a professional to fix it for me. I'm not at all confident enough to replace a keyboard myself.

By the way, here's the thing I'm talking about:
    E4ygf1vXoAIzIX-
    That thing. What is that component called? This is the broken spot on my keyboard.

Years
  • I'm not even sure if it has a name. It's just probably a placeholder between those keys so that it covers up the metal piece underneath it.

Years
  • I'm not sure, then. You may have to unfortunately get it replaced entirely if it's affecting the functionality.

Mewtwolover did post a good resource for you to go by if you wanted to purchase a replacement and attempt the repair yourself. Otherwise, I'd say purchase a replacement (easy to find on eBay and/or elsewhere) and take it into a repair shop and have them do the replacement for you.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm having a suspicion that there's some kind of connector underneath that spot that only maintains the connection so long as you apply pressure there. I'd probably look at replacing it, whether you attempt to do so yourself or if you have a friend that can do it cheaply, or a shop that can do it for a flat hour fee. Definitely order one online first, then it'll save the shop the time of having to order it and you can use a USB keyboard in the interim until it arrives.

Years
  • if you're not comfortable DIYing in any sort of manner (as you've said so, yourself), then just go to a shop so they can examine the issue themselves. while i'd agree with jordan above, non-tech savvy folks would probably have a difficult time knowing what sort of connector to order online in the first place. take it to a local technician and see if they can diagnose and solve the issue.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    if you're not comfortable DIYing in any sort of manner (as you've said so, yourself), then just go to a shop so they can examine the issue themselves. while i'd agree with jordan above, non-tech savvy folks would probably have a difficult time knowing what sort of connector to order online in the first place. take it to a local technician and see if they can diagnose and solve the issue.

In most cases, a keyboard directly connects to a motherboard in a laptop using a single flat ribbon cable and is only attached with a few screws so the whole entire keyboard assembly would have to be replaced, which makes ordering a part significantly easier.

Back