• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

AOL Instant Messenger versus MSN/WLM Messenger

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I used AIM for friends in school and I used MSN Messenger for internet friends. I ended up using MSN a lot more since it was exciting getting to know new people and having group chats and whatnot. I much prefer that to things like Discord today, honestly.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I used AIM mainly for talking to friends in middle school. MSN was far superior in my opinion, just because of the amount of customization. I have so many fond memories of MSN and the various group chats I was dragged into.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i had both but i preferred MSN, it was just more customizable. i had all my online friends on MSN so obv that was more fun than my AIM, where i had................gag.......locals........

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • There is no disputing that AOL was the worst internet provider but it was the most common while I was growing up so it's what we had in my family and it's what my best friend got when they got internet. My best friend was the reason I started IMing so AOL/AIM it was.
    I believe we used Yahoo a bit and possibly MSN as well but somehow ended up back on AIM. Then it was Skype for a little bit to accommodate another friend and now we're on Facecbook.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    MSN was my main teenage way of communicating, aside from texts ofc because back then we didn't have smartphones so we couldn't have MSN on the go d: only at computers.

Then came Skype as a better alternative when I was in my early 20s I guess, and we used it for a long time. Crazy how Discord has only been big (in my world) since 2016 or even later. But now with smartphones and stuff it's easy to use any app of choice, desktop or mobile doesn't even matter much anymore.

I've basically never used AIM/AOL or whatever that is. IRC? I remember PC had some form of chat place with it? But I never ever went there. I hung out in our staff or RP based Skype groups until we made the Discord server :)

Aljam

[i]Sweepin' ain't easy...[/i]
    Years
  • I used to be in contact with quite a few people from PC on MSN messenger. When I switched over to skype as my main chat app I ended up losing those lines of communications.

Back