• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Mystery Dungeon and Main Series: What They Can Learn From Each Other

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
  • I have had quite an admiration for the Mystery Dungeon series. In fact, Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky is my favorite Pokemon game, trumping every main series game on my list. So for this reason, I would like to compile an in-depth article for the sake of comparison, as well as explanation for those unfamiliar with the spin offs. I should note that I don't plan on polishing up either side to make one look better than the other.

The base structure of this article will be essentially a standard compare and contrast. Here's my base layout with some vital points that I plan on addressing.

Beginning
    - General intro.
    - Debrief of Mystery Dungeon for those less familiar
    - Shorter Debrief for the main series games. Just to lay out the raw structures of both for clarity's sake

Story Structure
    - From trainer to pokemon
    - Linear stories
    - The endgame/post-game

Characters and Their Development
    - How being a pokemon changes perspective
    - How being a trainer changes perspective
    - The dynamics of the character interactions

Gameplay
    - Is Mystery Dungeon's battling system really that different?
    - The generated dungeons
    - Trainer battles and wild pokemon
    - The endgame/post-game

The Games and Their Worlds
    - Mystery Dungeon and nature
    - Main Series and their civilizations
    - Intrigue vs. familiarity

Visuals
    - The graphical upgrades/previews that Mystery Dungeon gives
    - Art styles
    - 2D and 3D

Music/Game Sounds
    - Writing the music, and what makes it harder/easier to do for both series of games
    - Correlation with cutscenes and emotions.
    - Battling sounds

Conclusion
    - The different experiences that both game series have to offer
    - Why both have their highs and lows
    - Why the reader should enjoy the differences

This is the core of what I would like to write. So, what do you think? Be sure to let me know! I plan on putting a great amount of thought and effort into this if it gets approved, so hopefully there aren't any issues with my idea. But if there are, don't hesitate to tell me!

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Meh. 0/10 awful game series who would play pmd evar. (Read as: I approve this article)

I'd also take a gander at my Music of PMD2 Article. I hear it's a pretty good article from my totally unbiased sources. It covers a lot of the plot stuff for that game (and I'll likely do a PMD1 one soonish?), and discusses how the music shapes the plot, which seems to be a point you wanted to cover.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I have had quite an admiration for the Mystery Dungeon series. In fact, Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky is my favorite Pokemon game, trumping every main series game on my list. So for this reason, I would like to compile an in-depth article for the sake of comparison, as well as explanation for those unfamiliar with the spin offs. I should note that I don't plan on polishing up either side to make one look better than the other.

*plan*

This is the core of what I would like to write. So, what do you think? Be sure to let me know! I plan on putting a great amount of thought and effort into this if it gets approved, so hopefully there aren't any issues with my idea. But if there are, don't hesitate to tell me!
    Sound pretty well thought out to me!

This does seem like a big project, so I would consider either breaking it into multiple articles, or going with a multi-page article (ala the SM review). Both options are fine.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
  • Sound pretty well thought out to me!

This does seem like a big project, so I would consider either breaking it into multiple articles, or going with a multi-page article (ala the SM review). Both options are fine.

Hmm. Breaking it into multiple chunks does have a good ring to it. It would make things easier on both myself and the reader. I think that I may go for that.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Hmm. Breaking it into multiple chunks does have a good ring to it. It would make things easier on both myself and the reader. I think that I may go for that.
    Up to you how to split it then!

I've made a thread for you in the workshop subsection (c+p of your OP here), so you can post drafts of the article in there. Be sure to let us know when the draft is ready for us to proofread!

Back