• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How you got yourself in Rom Hacking?

Tommo

Banned
Years
I remember seeing this video on Youtube of "Mewthree in FireRed" in about 2008 or so (I was about nine or ten years old at the time.) and found out that you could edit Pokemon games using these sets of programs. I had already discovered emulation the year previous and decided to give it a shot. Some of my earliest romhacking work was actually making Mega pokemon in FireRed with my own custom sprites and everything, but they were actually just straight up evolutions via Friendship. I've since lost said sprites but I like to think that I did a pretty good job at the time. Since then I've helped out with a few hacks and their sprites/maps, including Red++, Coral, Orange, Countryball and a few others here and there.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 13, 2019
I've been watching my favorite YouTuber and he was letsplaying Crystal Clear. After that I was playing it myself for a long time

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
It was a little while after I'd discovered GBA emulation, from what I remember. I found Whack a Hack in my search for Pokemon roms, and from there I learned about rom hacks, then downloaded and played my first rom hack ever, Pokemon Quartz (which I believe had been completed not long after I first visited the site).

Afterwards, I played a few others I managed to find, including obscure ones like Pokemon Dragonstone and Pokemon Iolite. The one that inspired me to try it myself, however, was Pokemon Shiny Gold. I really liked how far you could take a standard Pokemon rom and turn it into something else entirely.

So then I learned whatever I could about rom hacking, striving to make one myself. I remember one of my earliest attempts being a rom hack of Ruby set in the Sinnoh region, with its own PHO/TPB thread and everything. I scrapped it tho when I learned how much work was actually needed to remake the entirety of the Sinnoh region lol. That was years ago, and since then I think I've learned a lot more, enough to finally kick off a new project of my own. Now if only I wasn't so lazy

Last edited:

fenberry

Lover <3
Years
  • Age 18
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2019
I got myself into ROM hacking recently, just about a year ago! I came across AntDude's Pokemon ROM hacks, and from the list he mentioned I started playing Moemon and Pokemon Sweet Version. It was pretty neat, if I do say so myself.

Ace Trainer Slash

If you give me about two hours, I can make scripts
Years
I got myself into ROM Hacking, around when I had played the Ruby Destiny series. (absolutely fantastic series btw.) It inspired me to think that if one person on his own could create an entire series of excellent games, why couldn't I? Then one holidays, I thought to make a ROM Hack because I was bored. I made a really horrible demo for a hack, but now, after a year or so absorbing knowledge from other hackers and such, I'm working on something of a grander scale, that I hope actually turns out well this time. :D

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
All started around in November 2007, when I discovered a ROM Hack that was a remake of Pokémon Gold, called Pokémon ShinyGold. That's how I learned about it and then started browsing PC forums and created an account on here on January 2008, and that's really what got me into messing around with the tools and experimenting around with ROMs and playing around with them.

That's the story of how I got myself into ROM Hacking, ever since then, it has inspired me into finding new discoveries in newer games, researching and documenting data. And I still do to this very day, especially with Pokémon Mystery Dungeon 3DS and WiiWare and Pokémon Black/White Version (including their sequels).

Anthroyd

Professor
Years
I came across a random YouTube video of a guy playing through something called, "Fire Red Omega." I had no idea what a ROM hack was at the time, since I was 11 years old. I thought it was absolutely mindblowingly amazing how each gym leader had a full team of six, so I decided to try it for myself. Then a magical shooting star launched itself straight through my left nostril, and I felt a strange feeling all of a sudden...

It was called inspiration. And that's it, really.
The channel name was bikdiponabus or something similar.

Karl

Creator of [b]Pokémon Darkfire[/b]
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
For some reason, YouTube recommended a scripting tutorial by an old user named Foullump.

I watched it out of curiosity and it blew my mind; I began to think that all the awesome things I wanted in the original games is now possible and, best of all, I could do it myself.

I then found Pokécommunity and from that point, I've been ROM hacking ever since.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
I finded it cool, so i decided to do it myself, i mostly wanted to have often Eeveelutions becuase getting a female Eevee legally is a pain

With the release of Pokemon Let's go Pikachu/Eevee i even gave Misty a Vaporeon, Surge a Jolteon and Blaine a Flareon in my Gold hack

Bhima

Hackrom Improver/Remaker
Years
I basically got tired of the low difficulty of the original games and the inability to capture all pokemon, and years ago I came across fangames and hackroms of Pokemon. Having been a fan of informatic and tech stuff and coding, I gave it a bit of a try and started working on them for years. I'm super happy with my progress, and it's mostly thanks to Drayano, whose hacks really motivated me to give it a try :)

Qmer Kaça

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Years
Me and some some of my close friends started watch the anime series all over again (because it has been illegal to put it on tv and nintendo stopped the sales of their consoles in my country since 2000s). And some day one of my friends found the Pokemon have games and we all started tto playing and after watching some youtube vids of pokemon on youtube i saw an interesting vid about adding new pokemons in fr and i firstly ignored it but the vid shown again and again and i watched it and boom now i am a nerd who had a little bit of social life.

Years
That's a good question, I think it must have happened gradually. Although I don't really remember.
My guess would be something like this
Stumbled on some tutorials on YouTube
Then found them again some time later and decide to download advance map
Mess around in advance map
Look up more tutorials
Download more programs
Look into finished Rom hacks
Mess around with other programs
Take year long break
Continue messing around with Rom hacking programs

And now we're here, still on the continue messing around with rom hacking programs step.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
I wanted to brush up on assembly code. I hadn't really messed with it in a few years, and I wanted to build up a skill that could help me at work. I noticed that the Gamboy's processor was similar to the good 'ol Z-80 as well as stumbled upon the pokered disassembly. I grabbed an old programming guide for the Gameboy and set out on fixing all the bugs in pokemon red.

Last edited:
Back