• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misty Returning

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeventhDawn

Uncompromising Worth
Years
  • Yeah, and in said reappearance, they definitely need to make sure when she leaves (if she leaves even) it's not to return to the gym, but rather to focus on her Water Pokémon Master goal. I always hated how the forced her to become a Gym Leader, made her a punching bag for rookies to beat (if not rookie trainers, then certainly rookie Pokémon), especially in light of how AG tastelessly depicted the Hoenn Gym Leaders as total pansies barring Brawley and Roxanne (the former because he actually beat Ash, and the latter due to Pikachu beating her).

I agree. She certainly seems too strong and capable to be a Gym Leader for rookies. I vaguely remember her Water Pokemon Master goal. But I get what you're saying. But I think it puts her in a great position to mentor up and coming Pokemon trainers. Brock from Pokemon Origins comes to mind. Plus, it's a job.

Don't think it necessarily ties her down as other Gym Leaders travel, train, and possibly research. Who knows, the writers may surprise us by making her a Gym Leader elsewhere or holding a different position. I'd be interested if they covered a Gym Leader's life in the anime sometime or at least as part of a offshoot series. Like Pokemon Generations now, except Pokemon world building with a focus on Gym Leaders and more.

Heck, if they could do a random episode with Misty doing her own thing and running into Ash accidentally. Then seeing her character growth and also as a water Pokemon trainer.

Yes, please.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Considering that Misty never reappeared after her one-off stint(s) during Hoenn, it should have been obvious that she would never reappear for Sinnoh or any following region's arc. We all have our characters that we really like, but sometimes we have to accept it if things don't go our way (especially when it comes to characters not returning ever again after a long absence). We also have our fanon thoughts on how things should have gone on our favorite franchises, but it's not the best idea to claim over and over that such things should become official canon.

Problem is, she actually was forced to put off her goal and become a Team Rocket-esque punching bag by becoming a Gym Leader, despite the fact that she had a Water Pokémon Master goal that was made blatant at least since the start of Johto, arguably as early as even Kanto. Even if I hated Misty with an utter passion, I still would have been dumbfounded at the sheer idiocy of their removal of her and the way they did so.

The other members of the main cast at least were given the promise of pursuing their goals when they left, and in a few cases even accomplished them, and Brock at least chose of his own free will to change his goal from breeder to doctor (granted, I'm still very disappointed that he didn't take over the gym from his own family after they twice demonstrated their utter incompetence, enough to make even Misty's sisters seem like hypercompetent and skilled Gym Leaders by comparison, but that's another topic for another day).

And let me ask you this: Suppose May, for example, decided she wanted to go to Johto, only she then gets an emergency call from Caroline stating that Norman either got into a very serious accident or otherwise came down with some illness, so May needs to come home ASAP to take care of running Petalburg Gym, at least until the time Norman gets better, and thus she is forced to put off her goal relating to becoming Top Coordinator to do so and was very unhappy with the result. Would you think that was even a remotely good end for her, ignoring your own personal feelings about her for just a moment? That's exactly what I'm trying to convey regarding Misty's departure, and precisely WHY she needs to come back above all others (the only character who might have it worse off than Misty is Max due to the writers' stupid insistence on keeping Ash 10 and thus pretty much forcing Ash to break his promise about battling Max in the future.). The fact that AG just went through depicting the Gym Leaders as pansies on par with Team Rocket in Ash Catches a Pokémon at best doesn't help matters either. That's why Misty needs to return, if not to the main cast, then at least as a cameo that ends with her explicitly NOT returning to Cerulean Gym at all, but rather continuing her journey.

I agree. She certainly seems too strong and capable to be a Gym Leader for rookies. I vaguely remember her Water Pokemon Master goal. But I get what you're saying. But I think it puts her in a great position to mentor up and coming Pokemon trainers. Brock from Pokemon Origins comes to mind. Plus, it's a job.

Don't think it necessarily ties her down as other Gym Leaders travel, train, and possibly research. Who knows, the writers may surprise us by making her a Gym Leader elsewhere or holding a different position. I'd be interested if they covered a Gym Leader's life in the anime sometime or at least as part of a offshoot series. Like Pokemon Generations now, except Pokemon world building with a focus on Gym Leaders and more.

Heck, if they could do a random episode with Misty doing her own thing and running into Ash accidentally. Then seeing her character growth and also as a water Pokemon trainer.

Yes, please.

Yes, fully agreed with showcasing the Gym Leader's capabilities. That's one of the things I hated about AG and BW, as they generally had Ash's rookie team basically tear through the Hoenn and Unova Gym Leaders (and the fact that Ash went full retard mode in the latter region doesn't help matters either). I get that the Gym Leaders are not supposed to be as strong as the Elite 4 at their current position, let alone the Champion, but that did NOT mean they needed to be so weak that their defeat many times were comparable to Team Rocket's defeat in Ash Catches a Pokémon (I think you remember what I'm referring to, where a nearly dead [for reasons completely unrelated to Team Rocket], completely inexperienced Caterpie managed to own Team Rocket their collective butts and tear through them like tissue paper, and in fact that particular defeat was notorious enough that it led to not only the fans, but even the in-universe characters, to mock them as being weak, with it even being something of a running joke that Misty and Brock whenever Ash brags about his accomplishments often tells him that beating Team Rocket's not even remotely close enough to proving Ash has any skills, which occurred as late as Johto). In fact, I still maintain that the Johto Gym Leaders were probably the best of the Gym Leaders so far (yes, better than even the Kanto Gym Leaders), as not only are they appropriately shown as being, while not Elite 4 level, definitely forces to be reckoned with especially against rookies (even if against more experienced vets they can be brought down a notch), but Ash actually won his battles fair and square. Second best would be Kanto, since while they are definitely forces to be reckoned with against Ash especially given it was his first time, half of the badges he won for reasons not related to winning (I personally think Lt. Surge was one of the better Gym Leaders, though really, all the Gym Leaders were reasonably competent in Johto, even Team Rocket when they had their stint as Gym Leaders. In fact, the closest I can get to truly incompetent Gym Leaders were Misty's sisters, and even they at least were implied to have held the Gym quite decently until the trainers from Pallet passed by the area). DP and XY did showcase the Gym Leaders being skilled, but unfortunately, they did it in the opposite extreme, where they ended up making one of the vets on Ash's team, Pikachu, look bad by comparison (which is even worse since Pikachu was verified to have beaten Regice single-handedly, meaning he should not need to lose to Gym Leaders or, heck, Rookie Pokémon even).

And I definitely agree regarding Misty returning, they definitely should have her come back, if for no other reason than to ensure she doesn't have to run the gym again.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2016
    Hi just created an account to show you this
    This is the Japanese voice actress of Kasumi(misty)
    And her blog is somewhere there is also a tumblr trying to do a petition even if a petition doesnt work we don't need a petition Twitter is a good way to ask for her return fulltime I don't see why not never give up I say it's nice to have a bit of hope but best way is to contact them chating about it is nice but i like getting results thee making the new sun and moon would be nice is she had a surprise comeback fulltime along with the new girls in sun and moon
    Oops I can't post the links just yet bare with me

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Hi just created an account to show you this
    This is the Japanese voice actress of Kasumi(misty)
    And her blog is somewhere there is also a tumblr trying to do a petition even if a petition doesnt work we don't need a petition Twitter is a good way to ask for her return fulltime I don't see why not never give up I say it's nice to have a bit of hope but best way is to contact them chating about it is nice but i like getting results thee making the new sun and moon would be nice is she had a surprise comeback fulltime along with the new girls in sun and moon
    Oops I can't post the links just yet bare with me

Don't worry, we'll wait for these links. In the meantime, try to post on various threads about anything to boost your post count up enough to be able to post links. Oh, and save your links to a word document so you'll be able to access them easily when the time comes to post them.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2016
    Thank you am I able to put up a picture on the thread as well I saw a really cool fan art of misty with an updated ponytail ? Also I do understand people's opinions about her not coming back like I haven't thought of it for quite awhile when I heird the new anime and seen the trailer I wanted to try something new :-D

PS what does it mean when it says automatically parse links in text?

There are probably many old petitions out there that never got looked at by the team the new writers that are handling the story now may in fact look at it and realise it's the 20th anniversary that's a good opportunity if they don't even without us asking that's some strange writing. I miss the way the series was connected it never feels connected somehow like when mewtwo was on the series connecting the first movie as well as the way Brock came back and the GS ball and think give it that humar again that the old series had, I liked how it had mature growth like what happen to the Brock and prof ivy situation haha
    I do feel as soon as that trend started with the new staff and keeping with the games and changing characters up alot took away what the original had and the potential for it to grow like ash did turn 11 in the original before the orange islands it could have done what digimon adventure tried has done now which I don't think will happen now but hey if they bring misty back its a step in the right direction let's see if the writers are smart now. :-D

I just posted a good response with regarding some info but it's not been posted

Oh okay it was posted my bad now I need to post the links

https://mobile.twitter.com/MayuTama0103?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

http://mistyforalola.tumblr.com

FIGURE-016712.jpg

tumblr_m69au5a3HY1rupjr0o1_1280.png

FIGURE-016712.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2017
    Okay, but what did you want us to see in Mayumi Iizuka's twitter and mistyforalola's tumblr?
    Oh, and can you stop spamming the thread? An admin will end up banning you at this rate.

I don't think that a few tweets from western fans would mean anything to the writers. I remember that quite a few amourshippers decided that harassing them was a good idea and that hasn't helped their case.

I hate to be the pessimist here because I entirely agree with weedle that the way they treat Misty is probably the most unfair treatment they ever showed to a former main character (even Tracey, one of the most hated characters ever, gets cameos from time to time lol), but her chances of coming back and even having a cameo for the anniversary got even smaller after they revealed that trailer.
    They could've tried the game route and appeal to viewers' nostalgia by bringing back some characters from the OS like Misty, Brock and Gary, but they decided to change the artstyle and that by itself is gonna draw the older fans away. After their failure with XY (which was an obvious attempt at drawing in an older audience), it looks like they're going to focus on their younger audience only.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2016
    Spamming?? its harmless pictures I don't think I'd get banned I just got on here lol
    I'm actully a nice person so if they think im spamming them I'd never I tend to do that just enjoy the picture the thread looks more fun that way ;-)
    And I do believe that never give up hope sometimes good things happen to good people who wait I think that amourshipping thing was forsed on us tbh
    I'd like to write it for them lol I'd have misty back have a different story for the gs ball explain prof ivy make ash and misty travel and be like 15, 16 like the games is a target to the younger audience but with the 20th anniversary they really should age it up a bit the original had actully mature teams to it as it develop it felt so different I barely watched DP that hair gag I once saw was abit childish which is a shame i felt the falling down gag at moments was more numerous I dought it will go back to what it was unless the old writing team somehow got some rights back lol don't know how it works. I seen the trailer it looks like a cute sort feel there trying to go with it misty could bring that feisty side with the cute maybe it would work I'd deffo watch it again

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2017
    I wasn't talking about the pictures. You made 9 successive posts and most boards have rules against that lol you should edit instead of making new ones.

Well, whatever we do now, it's too late. They've probably already started producing the new anime by now and whatever they already planned is what's gonna happen.
    I don't watch anymore either but I'd watch again if Misty came back too.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Since a lot of Pokémon fans hate the change in art style for the SM anime, I would ask them if they still want Misty back even if it means "butchering" her design to fit into the anime's new art style.

Guest123_x1

Since a lot of Pokémon fans hate the change in art style for the SM anime, I would ask them if they still want Misty back even if it means "butchering" her design to fit into the anime's new art style.
    With that in mind, I can imagine that, if they actually do bring Misty back, fans will be all salty over her redesign to fit in with the new art style. Of course, others will disagree...

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2017
    Since a lot of Pokémon fans hate the change in art style for the SM anime, I would ask them if they still want Misty back even if it means "butchering" her design to fit into the anime's new art style.
    I wouldn't care.
    I don't hate the new design that much, Lillie and Mallow look super cute to me.
    I'd be more worried with them changing her personality.

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2016
    Lol its never to late ;-) think about it there still making the anime now they make like over 50 if word got out and the staff realised how much fans wanted it enough its still possible she could come in midway and stay with ash that would be a big turn around and surprise too.

And I noticed one of my pics was deleted? I thought I was only able to do that how mean lol
    Is it that bad to respond to u am I not supposed to comment I don't get this spam thing is thee some limit to posts? It doesn't make sense to me lol if this was texting... :-D

Anyway should I put the pic up again it was a nice fanart?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I wouldn't care.
    I don't hate the new design that much, Lillie and Mallow look super cute to me.
    I'd be more worried with them changing her personality.

Yeah, me too (and for the worse, I should add), though I'm not all fond of the new design for Ash. Lillie and Mallow are okay, it's just Ash I have a problem with. Besides, I'm willing to tolerate even Misty having sub-par animation/design due to Sun and Moon as long as they at LEAST have her return to actually trying to become a Water Pokémon Master and stop being a Gym Leader.

I hate to be the pessimist here because I entirely agree with weedle that the way they treat Misty is probably the most unfair treatment they ever showed to a former main character (even Tracey, one of the most hated characters ever, gets cameos from time to time lol), but her chances of coming back and even having a cameo for the anniversary got even smaller after they revealed that trailer.
    They could've tried the game route and appeal to viewers' nostalgia by bringing back some characters from the OS like Misty, Brock and Gary, but they decided to change the artstyle and that by itself is gonna draw the older fans away. After their failure with XY (which was an obvious attempt at drawing in an older audience), it looks like they're going to focus on their younger audience only.

Maybe, but never say never.

As far as your last bit, considering what happened last time they tried to focus on the younger audience only with XY, their continuing to do it is probably going to spell even MORE of a ratings disaster than it did in XY, meaning they're most likely going to drive away the younger audience as well.

Anyways, for those curious with what the twitter post had to say:

声優。役者。シンガー。「ポケットモンスター」カスミ「おもひでぽろぽろ」ツネ子「金田一少年の事件簿」速水玲香「なめこせかいのともだち」ペロ。ニューシングル「絶対愛至上主義」発売中 http://www.lantis.jp/artist/iizukamayumi/

berrysmile.net

Translation (per bing translator): "Voice actor. An actor. Singer. Pocket Monster misty "fun day in yesterday" Reika Hayami, tsuneko "Kaneda 1 boys casebook" licked Martin Scorsese's friend of "pero. New single "love Supreme absolutism' launch in http://www.lantis.jp/artist/iizukamayumi/

berrysmile.NET"

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2016

It depends. From what is seen from the female characters like Mallow and Lillie, they look ok in the style. In fact, everyone but Ash so far looks ok. Maybe Misty wouldn't look that bad in this style. We'll never know,however, since I think the style change itself is a strong indication they want to stay wholly self contained.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2017
    Misty is misty what that matters is whether she return or not. design nd everything else r secondary bcoz it's so long we last saw her. but sadly now I don't think she Wil return tho I want that to happen

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I wouldn't use the poster or trailer as definitive proof that she won't return since they only show a small sample size, but I do think it's unlikely. I do think it would be great for her, Brock, and other former companions to return for a 20th anniversary special though.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2016
    Didn't someone mention in another thread that blue haired girl fishing in the poster (Luna, Lana, Uuna, whatever her name is) is going to be specializing in Water- Pokemon and is one of Ash's travelling companions..? it really feels like the writers are doing their very best to forget about Misty completely.....

Which kinda sucks.... I rather see the older characters follow Ash this time, not just Misty.... We dont really need new characters again that we'll say "Sayonara" by the end of the region....

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2024
    Hello, I'm new here. Though I just made a introduction thread, I couldn't wait for a response there but to say my four cents here, being that Misty is one of my favorite chars in the anime. Sorry for being rude.

Anywho, just because there's already a water trainer there doesn't mean there can't be another. This girl could be great as Misty's rival.

However, if this new anime has Ash in some trial team or whatever, I would think that Misty should be Ash's rival than travel companion again. I mean, during Johto, Misty became rather dull and stayed in the background, starting when she got Togepi (I think being a mother weared her out XD). Sure there was that water tournament, but they never went that far for Misty. Just threw her away to her gym.

I think that having Misty as Ash's rival would bring a new flavor between their interactions, while allowing new characters room to develop.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2016
    Welcome to the forums. Although I'm new too 😂😂😂

Anyway, yeah, I kinda like the idea of Misty being Ash's rival this time. Of course, Misty could be the rival of that blue haired girl as well. But I kinda like it better as Ash's. Better interactions between them😊😊😊😊

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back