• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misty Returning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Idk, Weedle, all this sounds like wishful fan thinking than credible info.

Maybe, but we're still waiting for that source regarding Mayumi Iizuka confirming Misty will reappear again. Until then, we can't say anything.

The GEM series bit is definitely credible info, though, for a couple of reasons: 1. The GEM series was being released on the wrong year for a 20th Anniversary celebration (the Anime's landmark is next year. If they were simply intending for the GEM series to promote the 20th Anniversary, they would have waited until May 2017 to release them, not May 2016.). 2., even if it were released on the correct year, why on earth are they releasing it now, when they've NEVER released any merchandising (regular or Collector's Edition) for any characters not in the current series, not even during the 10th Anniversary of either the games or the anime?

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2017
    The source apparently came from this video: https://youtu.be/iZEbjQofRUw At least, that's what MistyforAlola directed me to when I asked to put the screws on him. And anyways, I've emailed the author for the source. If he remembers in a timely fashion, I'll make sure to post the source.

And don't think that just because Mayumi Iizuka said something means it will be all over the internet. Serebii.net didn't comment on the Scandal on Pokémon Star that Mayumi Iizuka mentioned a couple years back in a Twitter post while in character as Misty, for example. And I definitely don't recall Serebii.net ever covering the bit regarding Team Rocket Radio's special with Misty and Ash (in fact, they didn't even cover Team Rocket Radio at all, and even Dogasu which did cover it to some extent never covered the Misty and Ash thing. I only found out about that from Tumblr).

Yeah, probably because Serebii and Dogasu don't care much for Misty, but if Mayumi confirmed she was coming back that would be a pretty big thing. At any rate, I think that a VA wouldn't even be allowed to leak such information, especially when it looks like they're trying to keep the new companions a mystery.

About the GEM figures, I found out today that they are releasing Gary and May as well. So perhaps they're planning on releasing characters from every generation and they started earlier this year so they could finish a little after the anniversary and took advantage of the fact that this year was already the games anniversary (since this time next year the hype won't be as big for the anniversary and it looks like releasing the figures takes a while).

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2016
    Maybe, but we're still waiting for that source regarding Mayumi Iizuka confirming Misty will reappear again. Until then, we can't say anything.

The GEM series bit is definitely credible info, though, for a couple of reasons: 1. The GEM series was being released on the wrong year for a 20th Anniversary celebration (the Anime's landmark is next year. If they were simply intending for the GEM series to promote the 20th Anniversary, they would have waited until May 2017 to release them, not May 2016.). 2., even if it were released on the correct year, why on earth are they releasing it now, when they've NEVER released any merchandising (regular or Collector's Edition) for any characters not in the current series, not even during the 10th Anniversary of either the games or the anime?

I don't think it matters whether the G.E.M series releases next year or this one. Even though the anime's 20th anniversary is next year, have they ever celebrated an anniversary for it? I mean, they released a special for the anime that celebrated 10 years of pokemon and not the anime itself. I think that gives us a good reason to believe they don't care about what milestone the anime achieves, cuz ultimately it has the games to thank for that long run in the first place. Plus celebrating 2 anniversaries in succession seems redundant.

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2017
    I don't think it matters whether the G.E.M series releases next year or this one. Even though the anime's 20th anniversary is next year, have they ever celebrated an anniversary for it? I mean, they released a special for the anime that celebrated 10 years of pokemon and not the anime itself. I think that gives us a good reason to believe they don't care about what milestone the anime achieves, cuz ultimately it has the games to thank for that long run in the first place. Plus celebrating 2 anniversaries in succession seems redundant.
    To be fair, the SM games are blatantly celebrating the 20th year anniversary, which didn't happen with their 10th either. It looks like they released the games sooner just so they could celebrate, at least in-game. So it wouldn't be a stretch if they chose this season to celebrate the anime anniversary as well.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Yeah, probably because Serebii and Dogasu don't care much for Misty, but if Mayumi confirmed she was coming back that would be a pretty big thing. At any rate, I think that a VA wouldn't even be allowed to leak such information, especially when it looks like they're trying to keep the new companions a mystery.

About the GEM figures, I found out today that they are releasing Gary and May as well. So perhaps they're planning on releasing characters from every generation and they started earlier this year so they could finish a little after the anniversary and took advantage of the fact that this year was already the games anniversary (since this time next year the hype won't be as big for the anniversary and it looks like releasing the figures takes a while).

Why not just release all of them in one fell swoop next year? It's not like they needed to release it this year, especially when this is the game's 20th anniversary, not the anime's 20th anniversary. Had it been me who was making the GEM series, I would have just waited until the 20th anniversary of the Anime to release them, precisely to AVOID giving any misleading hints and have it strictly sponsor the 20th Anniversary. I believe in keeping things exact.

And either way, that still doesn't change the fact that it was extremely unusual that they are even bothering to release merchandise of characters who were long since retired. They didn't do it for the 10th Anniversary of the show, which if that was their motivation, to celebrate the anniversary, they would have done that back then, especially when fairly few animes last for ten whole years.

And as far as Serebii and Dogasu, Dogasu certainly cared about the Team Rocket Radio shows, and last I checked, that was an episode of it. He could have just given it a token mention, just to note it was out while leaving it up to the reader to decide whether it was important. And it also doesn't change how Serebii didn't even cover Team Rocket Radio at all, period.

Actually, they DID celebrate an anniversary for the anime. Bulbanews I think reported on it (if I remember correctly, it was the one where a Bulbanews article made it seem as though Mayumi Iizuka was hinting that Misty would return).

Besides, as I pointed out multiple times now, they never released GEM figures or any merchandise for old characters for the 10th Anniversary of the games.

To be fair, the SM games are blatantly celebrating the 20th year anniversary, which didn't happen with their 10th either. It looks like they released the games sooner just so they could celebrate, at least in-game. So it wouldn't be a stretch if they chose this season to celebrate the anime anniversary as well.

Like I said, had I been in their position, I'd make absolute certain to avoid releasing ANY merchandising for the Anime promoting the 20th Anniversary until the Anime actually celebrates its 20th Anniversary, and I'd even go so far as to hold off on releasing them until AFTER April Fools Day when the Anime first aired, no gradual releases.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2017
    Why not just release all of them in one fell swoop next year? It's not like they needed to release it this year, especially when this is the game's 20th anniversary, not the anime's 20th anniversary. Had it been me who was making the GEM series, I would have just waited until the 20th anniversary of the Anime to release them, precisely to AVOID giving any misleading hints and have it strictly sponsor the 20th Anniversary. I believe in keeping things exact.

And either way, that still doesn't change the fact that it was extremely unusual that they are even bothering to release merchandise of characters who were long since retired. They didn't do it for the 10th Anniversary of the show, which if that was their motivation, to celebrate the anniversary, they would have done that back then, especially when fairly few animes last for ten whole years.

And as far as Serebii and Dogasu, Dogasu certainly cared about the Team Rocket Radio shows, and last I checked, that was an episode of it. He could have just given it a token mention, just to note it was out while leaving it up to the reader to decide whether it was important. And it also doesn't change how Serebii didn't even cover Team Rocket Radio at all, period.
    They were probably testing the waters to find out whether people were actually interested in the figures. It'd have backfired in their faces if they decided to sell everything at once just to find out people aren't interested.
    I hardly doubt that they care about giving misleading hints. If anything, I'm starting to believe that they welcome it lol

Dogasu only covered the TR radio show thoroughly for the pilot, first, last and special episodes. I'm not surprised he didn't cover Mayumi's. If Serebii never even covered those shows then I'm even less surprised that they haven't covered this one. That doesn't mean they would ignore something as big as an old character returning. And there's still 4chan, that kind of information would surely catch their attention.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    They were probably testing the waters to find out whether people were actually interested in the figures. It'd have backfired in their faces if they decided to sell everything at once just to find out people aren't interested.
    I hardly doubt that they care about giving misleading hints. If anything, I'm starting to believe that they welcome it lol

Dogasu only covered the TR radio show thoroughly for the pilot, first, last and special episodes. I'm not surprised he didn't cover Mayumi's. If Serebii never even covered those shows then I'm even less surprised that they haven't covered this one. That doesn't mean they would ignore something as big as an old character returning. And there's still 4chan, that kind of information would surely catch their attention.

No, it definitely couldn't have been testing the waters. If it were, they only needed to release the Jessie and James figurines first, and THEN release the rest en-masse next year. And since the Team Rocket GEM figurines can go either way (since their outfits are the only constant in the series, not to mention the Pokémon they came with are the only ones that are consistent since AG removed their regular Pokémon and BW, ie, Meowth and Wobbuffet), that serves as the perfect testing ground for whether they'd be receptive. And then, if they have good sales, wait until 2017 to release them.

And you DO realize that the Mayumi Iizuka episode WAS a special episode, right?

Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2017
    Considering how ridiculously popular TR are and the fact that people wouldn't even know that they were representing TR from the OS days since they still wear the same clothes, releasing them first couldn't really be considered testing the waters for figures of characters from previous generations.

I guess Dogasu didn't consider it special. It's certainly not listed as one.

But you know what? I give up. You must be the most stubborn and optimistic Misty fan I've ever seen. I have a question, how many times were you sure she was coming back?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Considering how ridiculously popular TR are and the fact that people wouldn't even know that they were representing TR from the OS days since they still wear the same clothes, releasing them first couldn't really be considered testing the waters for figures of characters from previous generations.

I guess Dogasu didn't consider it special. It's certainly not listed as one.

But you know what? I give up. You must be the most stubborn and optimistic Misty fan I've ever seen. I have a question, how many times were you sure she was coming back?

Fine then, release OS Ash first. THEN keep everyone else separate and release them enmasse.

Honestly, he's posted specials before. The fact of the matter is, if it's a special, it doesn't matter what your personal views are, you post it. Had it been me in his position, and the Team Rocket Radio show had an episode where, say, May and Ash had an episode together, even though I utterly hated May, I'd still report it largely because, even if she's not my cup of tea, it's still a special episode.

I was optimistic enough to openly declare Misty might actually return twice. Once when I was doing petitions for bringing Misty back around the time of AG/DP, and the second being currently. I was busy with college during BW, so I really didn't have much options to pursue it, and with XY, when I was hearing about the ratings disaster it had, I thought it wouldn't have mattered if I brought Misty back since the show was going to most likely be killed off anyways, even compared to AG, DP, and BW.

And I actually DO suggest people be more optimistic. If we were to go solely by probabilities like you and others do, do you really think, for starters, that Jessiebelle, a COTD, not to mention a COTD that up to that point had not even been MENTIONED since her debut in Holy Matrimony, which at the time had either been a full decade or a full dozen years old, would have even returned in DP, let alone had an episode dedicated to her? Of course not. If by your logic they can't bring a main character back, bringing back a COTD especially after that length of time has mathematically even less chances. And let me also remind you of Charizard in Best Wishes: Like Misty, he also had been controversially removed. Also like Misty, he's made a few returns. And given the scale of his appearances generally involve him simply helping Ash out against his current challenge (whether it be defeating Clair, fighting in the Johto League, or fighting Noland and/or Brandon) and once that's done, he's up and left back for Charcific Valley. It would have been a reasonable assumption that he most likely would have missed out on BW, especially after how he missed out on DP, and even IF he returned, he'd most likely go back to Charcific Valley by the end anyways. Most likely no one even imagined that Charizard would in fact actually return to Ash's roster permanently. Yet lo and behold, that's exactly what he did, actually staying with Ash even when he headed back to Kanto via the Decolore Islands despite clearly no longer being needed due to Ash blowing the Unova League, and actually becoming an Oaked Pokémon. See where I'm getting at? I have looked at probabilities, and I also realized if low probabilities didn't stop Jessiebelle and Charizard from returning (permanently, in the latter case), what's to say it will stop Misty from returning, who being a former main character definitely has more chances any day than a COTD.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023

He's been doing this for at least 10 years back when DP was airing, you can even look through his post history. Back when DP was airing he kept claiming Misty was "confirmed" to come back or that she would replace Dawn and some other such nonsense, posting petitions and whatnot. He got permabanned on Bulbagarden and Serebii years ago because the mods didn't tolerate his rants there. He's been blatantly proven wrong about Misty's appearances for an entire decade yet keeps coming up with new conspiracy theories year after year.

Its blatantly obvious after 14 years Misty isn't going to be a part of the anime ever again, and most of us knew this even back when AG and DP were airing. Even in terms of cameos it seems like those have stopped too (for every character it seems), so I don't expect to see anyone old ever again.

The Sun/Moon saga will be the 5th saga since Misty left. AG, DP, BW, XY and now Sun/Moon makes 5 gens in a row since Misty was axed. If that doesn't clue you in she's been irrelevant for 70% of the anime's run, I guess nothing will.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    He's been doing this for at least 10 years back when DP was airing, you can even look through his post history. Back when DP was airing he kept claiming Misty was "confirmed" to come back or that she would replace Dawn and some other such nonsense, posting petitions and whatnot. He got permabanned on Bulbagarden and Serebii years ago because the mods didn't tolerate his rants there. He's been blatantly proven wrong about Misty's appearances for an entire decade yet keeps coming up with new conspiracy theories year after year.

Its blatantly obvious after 14 years Misty isn't going to be a part of the anime ever again, and most of us knew this even back when AG and DP were airing. Even in terms of cameos it seems like those have stopped too (for every character it seems), so I don't expect to see anyone old ever again.

The Sun/Moon saga will be the 5th saga since Misty left. AG, DP, BW, XY and now Sun/Moon makes 5 gens in a row since Misty was axed. If that doesn't clue you in she's been irrelevant for 70% of the anime's run, I guess nothing will.

Not really obvious. What would be obvious is if the show was cancelled. That's obvious under the most literal use of the word.

Also, you DO realize that in Best Wishes, they actually brought Charizard back to Ash's roster, not simply had him loaned to him for the time being from Lisa, right? Under your definition, that would have been impossible to occur precisely because once he's gone, he ain't coming back to Ash's roster ever. After all, "obviously", they'd never bring back a Pokémon Ash had previously let go on a permanent basis, if he were to return, it be strictly temporary before he goes back to Charcific Valley, like with Entei, Clair, the Silver Conference, Noland, and Brandon, no way he'd even get him back to such an extent that Charizard continues with Ash even after the league was lost, and become part of his old party at Oak's Lab. Same deal with Jessiebelle reappearing at all in DP, since "obviously" they wouldn't even bring back a COTD who had not even appeared or even received a mention in years since her first appearance. Yet guess what, those "obvious" conclusions proved to be downright false (and Jessiebelle even reappearing at all was less likely than Misty returning to the main cast due to the fact that she was a COTD, in other words, a character who was specifically intended to be dropped after the first appearance, and that's not even getting into how it took her roughly a full decade if not a dozen years between her first appearance and her reappearance. Even Bulbapedia noted that it was an exceptionally long period between her appearances, and was originally the longest until the MC from Princess vs. Princess beat her out by reappearing for the Kalos League almost two decades after his first appearance.). Not to mention, Brock actually came back in Johto after he was replaced by Tracey.

Now, is it unlikely that she would return, maybe, but it most certainly isn't impossible. And for the record, most people DID think she'll return. They even fought to bring her back, and we won't stop until we either succeed or the show gets cancelled. And as far as petitions, petitions actually saved DisneyScreencaps when it was nearly shut down by Disney. If they can do that with a multinational corporation like Disney to prevent a site from being shut down for possible copyright infringements, they most certainly do the same for bringing a character back. And in fact, this had precedence with Brock.

And for the record, Misty IS relevant to the anime for one reason alone: Misty actually saved Ash's life in the very first episode. If she didn't fish him out of the river, he'd be a drowned body there. Not to mention she's the one who came up with the plan to get out of the St. Anne, and got Ash to fight Blaine in the first place, especially when Gary, his rival, skipped Cinnabar Gym specifically because he believed it to be shut down. She's definitely a lot more relevant to the anime than Team Rocket was, many times their plans barely even impact the characters at all even when they AREN'T pursuing Pikachu, and AG and DP made them total wimps that just wasted minutes on the episodes and didn't even have them being a genuine threat to the characters), not to mention May's definitely irrelevant to the anime (heck, when DP came about, they just gave May's goal to Dawn with Ash not even acknowledging that he traveled with a prior Coordinator when he and Dawn met), and I'd even argue AG itself was largely irrelevant since Ash stayed at EXACTLY the same rank as the prior region, his Battle Frontier win was treated by both Gary and Paul as a complete joke (the latter did so twice by utterly humiliating Pikachu despite his beating a friggin' Regice, and even the former beat Ash despite the fact that Gary wasn't even a trainer anymore, he was a researcher), and as noted above, May's coordinator goal was reused with Dawn, and May and Max in fact doesn't even have any Pokémon Sunday specials, something most of the former main characters both before and after her, even Iris, who is probably the first prior lead to not reappear in the new show, got (Misty and Tracey got Hoso specials, Dawn, Iris, and Dent got Pokémon Sunday specials, and Brock got both a Hoso and a Sunday Special dedicated to him).

Also, I never got permabanned from Serebii.net forums, I just stopped going there of my own volition. In fact, I just logged myself back in. I did get permabanned from Bulbagarden Forums, though. However, the mods did far worse than ban me, they put me through the hall of shame twice for things that were completely undeserved. Actually, I wasn't upset I got banned as I was planning to leave Bulbagarden anyways due to being disgusted by how the mods acted. In fact, the day I got banned, I even posted a Facebook post stating I was banned and made clear I was more happy than sad about it. Only regret is that I didn't help my fellow Misty fans more.

I might as well add one other thing: Would you rather Misty stagnate at her goal, end up descending to the level of Team Rocket in terms of being incompetent, like how the Hoenn Gym Leaders were depicted? Because that IS the alternative to her coming back even temporarily, and that is something I simply cannot allow especially when she was forced to become a Gym Leader by her sisters and did not do so of her own free will. The rest of the cast at least pursued their goals or changed their goals of their own free will. I'd even tolerate a temporary return as long as they at least make sure when she leaves, it has her actually pursuing her journey.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2016
    Not really obvious. What would be obvious is if the show was cancelled. That's obvious under the most literal use of the word.

Also, you DO realize that in Best Wishes, they actually brought Charizard back to Ash's roster, not simply had him loaned to him for the time being from Lisa, right? Under your definition, that would have been impossible to occur precisely because once he's gone, he ain't coming back to Ash's roster ever. After all, "obviously", they'd never bring back a Pokémon Ash had previously let go on a permanent basis, if he were to return, it be strictly temporary before he goes back to Charcific Valley, like with Entei, Clair, the Silver Conference, Noland, and Brandon, no way he'd even get him back to such an extent that Charizard continues with Ash even after the league was lost, and become part of his old party at Oak's Lab. Same deal with Jessiebelle reappearing at all in DP, since "obviously" they wouldn't even bring back a COTD who had not even appeared or even received a mention in years since her first appearance. Yet guess what, those "obvious" conclusions proved to be downright false (and Jessiebelle even reappearing at all was less likely than Misty returning to the main cast due to the fact that she was a COTD, in other words, a character who was specifically intended to be dropped after the first appearance, and that's not even getting into how it took her roughly a full decade if not a dozen years between her first appearance and her reappearance. Even Bulbapedia noted that it was an exceptionally long period between her appearances, and was originally the longest until the MC from Princess vs. Princess beat her out by reappearing for the Kalos League almost two decades after his first appearance.). Not to mention, Brock actually came back in Johto after he was replaced by Tracey.

I see you keep bringing up this example of Charizard and Jessibelle. Frankly, those are really weak arguments. First for Charizard. It really doesn't matter where Charizard relocates to. Ultimately, he is a pokemon that will not be part of Ash's travelling team, so they just stick him anywhere because he won't make regular appearances, if any at all now. They seem content with having other Charizard's promote an aspect from the games rather than Ash's lately. As for Jessibelle, that was what, 6 years ago? And it was just a one off episode. I'm sure the writers keep track of characters better than us mainly because its their job, but utilizing Jessibelle for a one off is not the same level commitment as say bringing back a character in a significant role.

As for Brock coming back in Johto, he was removed from the show for very different reasons than Misty. Misty's presence was the least justifiable of the cast, whereas with Brock, they removed him originally because of fear of racist backlash. Plus Brock was only absent for like half a year or something. Misty's been gone from the show for 14 years. A ton of the target audience weren't even born when she left, so a return for Misty would have little relevance for them.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I see you keep bringing up this example of Charizard and Jessibelle. Frankly, those are really weak arguments. First for Charizard. It really doesn't matter where Charizard relocates to. Ultimately, he is a pokemon that will not be part of Ash's travelling team, so they just stick him anywhere because he won't make regular appearances, if any at all now. They seem content with having other Charizard's promote an aspect from the games rather than Ash's lately. As for Jessibelle, that was what, 6 years ago? And it was just a one off episode. I'm sure the writers keep track of characters better than us mainly because its their job, but utilizing Jessibelle for a one off is not the same level commitment as say bringing back a character in a significant role.

As for Brock coming back in Johto, he was removed from the show for very different reasons than Misty. Misty's presence was the least justifiable of the cast, whereas with Brock, they removed him originally because of fear of racist backlash. Plus Brock was only absent for like half a year or something. Misty's been gone from the show for 14 years. A ton of the target audience weren't even born when she left, so a return for Misty would have little relevance for them.

Actually, the idea behind Charizard is the idea that he wouldn't even return to Ash's roster at all (since by Johto, he was essentially under Lisa's care, with Ash using him only when he requests it. By Unova, he actually managed to regain custody of Charizard. That's the point).

And as far as Jessiebelle, that's not a weak argument, actually. Let me remind you that we haven't even seen Samurai or AJ since their debut episodes barring possibly a Pokémon Opening, and COTDs have even less chances at reappearances than original leads precisely BECAUSE they were meant to be one-offs, and if they can bring those guys back even when they've been gone long enough for most people to forget about them, they most certainly can bring a main character back.

And as far as Misty's presence, actually, Misty's presence is definitely very justified, especially after they started focusing on her Water Pokémon Master goal more in Johto. If anyone's presence was less justified, it was Brock's. Name me ONE thing Brock does that literally no one else can do that made his presence necessary? Maybe if he had been a doctor from the start, that might have worked, but other than that, he really didn't have anything to really contribute to regarding the cast. Breeding? He never had one of his Pokémon lay a single egg. Cooking? Even Misty's done that a few times, like with the Viridian Forest arc (well, it's implied at least that she was the one who cooked during that time, and let me tell you, if Ash and co. could survive for a week lost in Viridian Forest, Misty definitely had to be a pretty dang good cook), or that time when she made that cure for Stun Spore-itis during the Orange Islands. Flirting on women? Again, how does that advance either his own goals, or advance anyone else's goals, or, heck, even advance the story in any significant manner? Not to mention it's not even that funny, not to mention considering the target audience is extremely inappropriate. Heck, they even had a card dating back to the Orange Islands where Misty was clearly seen cooking stew. And May? Considering they quickly replaced her with another girl come DP to do the exact same goal as her, when was her presence EVER justified? They can't even replace Ash with a guy from the actual games even under the premise of better advertising the games because they viewed him as necessary, yet they have no qualms doing that with May? And Team Rocket? Most times, they barely even qualified as a genuine threat, especially during AG and DP, and even the one time since the OS where they actually DID take a level in badass and threat level, in BW, they basically did it the wrong way, coming across more like Metal Gear Solid 2 characters in terms of utter randomness in a shoddy attempt at making them threats (like with the Meowth defection arc). Heck, considering that we never got any clear parameters for Ash's goal until DP when they introduced the concept of Champion Master, we could even say Ash's presence in every series onward was less justified. And I really don't see how Serena's presence on the main cast was even remotely justified as well: Most times, she only decided to travel because of Ash, which while technically better than May's reason (since she utterly hated Pokémon at the time and thus really had no reason to even be a Pokémon trainer at all), is still not a very good reason at all, not to mention she doesn't even take training seriously, only having three Pokémon at this point, and she didn't even get an actual goal until midway through XY. At least Misty actually DID attempt to focus on her Water Pokémon Master goal.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Is there any reason for this thread to keep going? The Sun/Moon anime looks like an almost reboot with new animation, a new design for Ash, and probably have little to no continuity with past arcs.

They're not going to redesign Misty or any other older character to match the new style, (Alola Ash looks almost nothing like the Ash of the last 20 years), and aside from Team Rocket, its most likely going to be its own thing. Its also blatantly obvious by the poster all the new characters will be the island leaders from the games and no old character will be there.

The writers didn't even bother giving Misty a cameo back in DP, when they could have theoretically had her appear since she got a brief mention. And that is now 3 gens ago. I think it says a lot Misty hasn't had an appearance in an episode since 2005...more than 11 years ago when Ash came home from Hoenn league.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Is there any reason for this thread to keep going? The Sun/Moon anime looks like an almost reboot with new animation, a new design for Ash, and probably have little to no continuity with past arcs.

They're not going to redesign Misty or any other older character to match the new style, (Alola Ash looks almost nothing like the Ash of the last 20 years), and aside from Team Rocket, its most likely going to be its own thing. Its also blatantly obvious by the poster all the new characters will be the island leaders from the games and no old character will be there.

The writers didn't even bother giving Misty a cameo back in DP, when they could have theoretically had her appear since she got a brief mention. And that is now 3 gens ago. I think it says a lot Misty hasn't had an appearance in an episode since 2005...more than 11 years ago when Ash came home from Hoenn league.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: They also didn't have Charizard appear in DP, yet they not only had him appear in BW, they actually had Charizard rejoin Ash and explicitly be under his custody (remember, he was under Lisa's care, and only came around if Ash needed him for a specific event, and not a minute longer. Having Charizard rejoin Ash all the way through DeColore was definitely unprecedented). And considering that Jessiebelle and even that MC from Princess vs. Princess made reappearances in DP and XY, respectively, despite the fact that they were gone for long enough of a time to ensure pretty much everyone forgot about them, not to mention COTDs very rarely make a reappearance (heck, just ask Samurai or AJ), that's more than enough to disprove the claim that anyone can't make a reappearance after a very long time, let alone Misty.

If we ARE to close it, we do it AFTER Sun and Moon airs, and not a second before.

Also, it's NOT a reboot. A reboot is something akin to Star Trek: The Next Generation where they completely eliminate the original cast, and at best only have any surviving members of the cast around as cameos, IF they are still alive, either that, or a split timeline back to the past like with the Star Trek reboot series. If this were a reboot, Ash, Pikachu, and Team Rocket would all be GONE. Now, if Ash won the Kalos League as planned and beat the Elite 4 and Champion, and then they did a Sun and Moon series, THEN it would be a reboot due to their having a completely new cast. If you want to do a reboot or a clean slate, best do 100% destruction of the old and only have the new.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2017
    Why is precita so bothered by this thread? lol
    It was already starting to die until he decided to post lol
    That's the same thing I wonder about the other members that show hate towards weedle. They could just ignore him if he bothers them so much, but nooo, they'd rather answer him and restart a 10 year old argument in unrelated threads, wtf lol

Last edited:
    Years
  • If you're bothered by someone please make use of the ignore function; it's there for a reason. Higher staff often monitor this forum and we will take action against posts we deem off-topic, rude, or otherwise but remember there is a difference between having personal issues with someone and them actually breaking the rules. Thank you.

From here on we ask you all to stay on topic. Sectional bans can very easily be handed out (and have been for other cases) if you've been warned before and we'd rather not resort to that.

Guest123_x1

At this point, I know Misty is never going to return. Not even in the form of a special episode like Brock did. Ah well. I mean, it seems most old characters are retconned out of existence at this point. What a shame.
    Considering that Misty never reappeared after her one-off stint(s) during Hoenn, it should have been obvious that she would never reappear for Sinnoh or any following region's arc. We all have our characters that we really like, but sometimes we have to accept it if things don't go our way (especially when it comes to characters not returning ever again after a long absence). We also have our fanon thoughts on how things should have gone on our favorite franchises, but it's not the best idea to claim over and over that such things should become official canon.

SeventhDawn

Uncompromising Worth
    Years
  • Personally I would like if Misty made a short cameo. Maybe even an episode or two in Alola if not Pallet town. Just to see how she has been doing. Chances are slim, assuredly null, but hey, there's room for hope, too.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Personally I would like if Misty made a short cameo. Maybe even an episode or two in Alola if not Pallet town. Just to see how she has been doing. Chances are slim, assuredly null, but hey, there's room for hope, too.

Yeah, and in said reappearance, they definitely need to make sure when she leaves (if she leaves even) it's not to return to the gym, but rather to focus on her Water Pokémon Master goal. I always hated how the forced her to become a Gym Leader, made her a punching bag for rookies to beat (if not rookie trainers, then certainly rookie Pokémon), especially in light of how AG tastelessly depicted the Hoenn Gym Leaders as total pansies barring Brawley and Roxanne (the former because he actually beat Ash, and the latter due to Pikachu beating her).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back