• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Messenger Pidove! (Social Networks and writing)

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years

• Somewhat of a stolen topic from the Trainers Discord server but...

Do you include many social media interactions in your fics or roleplay posts? How important are they for your characters and their development? What about long-distance communication in general?

This is actually a very broad topic that could go many different ways!
    In a typical Pokémon Journey scenario there may be the usual social networks that we're used to, but also special apps that cater to trainers specifically. Would those characters use them often during their journey, would they call back their family and friends that often, or would they just disconnect and focus on their adventures?
    In medieval roleplays and such, maybe magic allows for long-distance, seamless communication, or would letters still be the only viable alternative? And in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon-styled stories, how would your Pokémon communicate? Would they still be able to write letters, for example?

Years
  • Honestly? Outside of a joke NPC from the first two Capes RPs, I actually haven't incorporated social media into my writing much here and I probably should given how it's such a prominent part of life now. I do make use of it in the comic I'm working on right now though, so that's something.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
    Years
  • Interesting topic, since it gives me the chance to ramble talk about some worldbuilding that I normally wouldn't go into.

So, as of right now I haven't had a big need for publicized long distance communication outside of the com orbs (which are the equivalent of walkie talkies), however there is technological advancements to what you could consider a dark age internet that's more oriented around communication, data storage, and other things for either military or government. There is local com links that can go over long distance, but generally long distance "com orbs" are what we'd consider "cell phones" or at least ones that could go over continents, would be illegal on site since stuff that allowed fast anything across country lines (like manga gates for example) would be highly problematic/suspect/fear mongering/threatening and thus were agreed unanimously to not be pursued, at least in the public sphere.

but to jump back onto your question in a more general term, more or less agree with Gimmie and don't really delve into it unless it's plot relevant. I may draw it as reference to subtle worldbuilding, but actually going into the process of it or how it works or why it works the way it does I generally am like "Nobody cares about this crap of mine." and leave it as it is.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I write almost exclusively in the standard Pokémon universe and kind of assume most things that we use now have an equivalent. People text and call each other, of course, and have group chats of some sort. But that tends to be about where I leave it- my characters don't spend much time with social media while on their journies. Not enough to write about and delve into thus far, anyway. I kind of assume they do use some social media but yeah. It's not important enough to them to worry about.

Specifically, Marie (S1) probably uses way more social media than Casey (Trainers), even though it's Casey who will eventually become an Instagram star. Through little effort of his own and he doesn't end up super into it- it's a job. Marie definitely keeps in contact with people better over calls and texts, while Casey tends to be more focused on what's happening in his immediate vicinity at any given point.

I did go through the effort of making some apps that make sense for the universe in S1- the Hoenn Ranger Database specifically. It's not exactly social media, but there are some communication features and the app is used extensively by the player characters and other NPC trainers. It's basically a way for me to restrict what Pokémon are obtainable in each area while also providing flavor text and allowing some interaction with the application. Discord, Youtube, and Instagram (or their equivalents- I make heavy use of Tolkien's translation idea) also exist in S1. And various blogging platforms. It's kind of up to the players what they want to do with them! I haven't gotten very into it yet. It will probably come up more, though.

Bay

Years
  • In Foul Play I have instances where characters use video phone calls that are similar to Facetime/Zoom, moreso the latter. I do that to showcase the other character's body language and facial expressions. There were a couple times also I would also an app that was used in one of the games. Otherwise, stuff like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram I haven't showcased the characters using those yet. I just haven't gotten opportunities for the characters to use those, though I'm certain many people in Foul Play's verse use those.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • Well, time to reply to my own question finally!

In Trainers and Hoenn: Square 1, which are essentially Pokémon Journey roleplays, I've definitely hinted at the presence of social media, videochat apps similar to Facetime, and much else that I've actually not expanded upon as much as I should've. I've usually taken this for granted for a while, but I've tried to write more video calls recently because... thinking about it, it really sounds like something very impactful for a young trainer on their journey! Being able to hear from your friends and family, even rarely, or deciding not to makes for a pretty big difference between different characters, or different arcs of development someone can go through.

As for my other characters, they, well... aren't really used to this whole thing, either because they're in the wrong place or in the wrong century altogether. I don't think either of them are used to any kind of quick, seamless communication, which makes one of them perfectly integrated in their setting (Rayen) and the other one... kinda interesting to try and play (Rin)!

Back