• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Perfect Monster Taming Game

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    I am kind of getting tired of pokemon right now and am curious about what other games in the genre you would recommend. However, I have another question for you: What would you want to see in your ideal monster taming game? Sometimes, I even think about making one myself so I am curious,

I really liked Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Nexomon: Extinction was an alright game. This game doesn't even try to hide that it was inspired by Pokemon. Its humor can be hit or miss at times and the endgame is very draining but otherwise I did enjoy my time with it.

And I suppose the SMT titles and the Persona games also kind of belong in that category. Though, the former's difficulty and the latter's time management system can be hit or miss as well. You really need to be into the hardcore gaming experience in order to appreciate them.

Years
  • Honestly, every time I play other monster-hunting games I find myself going back to Pokémon. It's definitely not a perfect series by any means but the monster designs and overall charm of the game pulls me back in. Maybe that's attachment/nostalgia though haha. I heard Ni no Kuni was an excellent RPG with monster-catching elements. I also played the first Yokai Watch game for 3DS and it was very good, and actually quite difficult despite being marketed for kids. The monster designs there are quite cool too, and it was overall fun! I'd recommend trying it (and the rest) out.

Years
  • I second Yo-Kai Watch. It's such a good series. You can even see how much GF stole from got inspired by it in the last 2 generations.

Back