• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Your thoughts on the beta GS pokemon?

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
I don't recall seeing a post about this before so here it is:
Spoiler:

Also the sprites were colorized by a reddit user Nyaaners. so credits to them

Last edited:
Years
some of it surprisingly looks good. some of those are prototypes apparently and got released in later generation. personal favorite is that pokemon after hoothoot. looks very cute ahaha

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
I like the baby Vulpix and Meowth, the Fire and Water starters and the Electric-type Tigers.

Seriously boo to the ones whom decided to leave the Electric-tigers out.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
there are so many of these that i wish were actual pokemon like the kittens and puppies.

meanwhile there are some im glad were just prototypes where they are in the picture (like chikorita's midevo) but still would have been p nice to see as an actual pokemon one day

Years
I would love to see more baby Pokémon and evolutions to the old Pokémon making it to the final game. Baby Paras is so cute. Or even evolutions to the Gen II Pokémon that didn't make it to the final game. I would also love to see all the fish-like Water-Types and Fire-Type starter.

The ones I don't really like are Chikorita's mid-evolution, Water-Type starter last evolution and Legendary Beasts.

And the one after Houndoom looks strangely familiar. I know I've seen this furball somewhere. Does anyone know where I could've seen it? I would say Digimon, but I'm not sure.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Most of these are okay to good. I could do without more baby pokemon though. Pokemon like Paras and Meowth are pretty basic and weak already. Seems like GameFreak wanted perfect three stages for some reason back then.

But that prototype Politoed is ugly. The legendary beasts are way less elegant than their final versions. I really like Octillery's older design though, he's more tank like and Girafarig as well. I counted and there's like 73 pokemon here that didn't make it to the final release or had their designs tweaked. Unfortunate.

Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
Years
It's an awesome piece of history but, although there are a few unused designs here that I like (my favorite is probably baby Meowth or furry snow boi), I don't think I'd enjoy. Gen. II nearly as much if this had been our 'Dex.

I like the final Hoppip line we got, but this one also has a certain charm. It would be cool if it got revived as a regional variant in the future. (The final looks like it has elf ears, so I could see it being part Fairy.)

Last edited:

pkmin3033

I see they reused the Fire/Water starter designs for Gen VII...I suppose they ARE running out of ideas like some people claim if they're recycling their own unused designs. Ha.

That alternate Bayleef looks absolutely ridiculous. I love the spiky-headed Ditto and the alternative Noctowl and Jumpluff, though. Those look better than the ones they actually went with.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
I see some really awesome concepts, but quite a lot of babies into the fray.

I would have loved the Electric tigers, the Ice skin-wearers, the anchor shark, the fire seal, the Farfetch'd evolution, Spurdo Sparde Porygon2, Slowbro's shell, proto-Lickilicky, and proto-Kingdra.

Even though there were too many babies, my favourites that didn't make it to the final cut would be the pre-evolutions of Meowth, Growlithe, Vulpix, and Tangela.

Back