• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Step 1: Choosing your ROM

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024

The Path to Being an Elite Hacker

Step 1: Choosing your ROM

No Previous Steps | Home | Planning the Game

Greetings and welcome to the first step towards greatness, followers of the path! The first thing we'll do is talk about which ROM may/may not be correct for you, because I'm sure any Pokémon fan knows that if you want to hack a game you have a lot of choices. I'll be sorting this by generation to make this easier for myself.

[alink id="one"]Gen. I[/alink id] | [alink id="two"]Gen. II[/alink id] | [alink id="three"]Gen. III[/alink id] | [alink id="four"]Gen. IV[/alink id] | [alink id="five"]Gen. V[/alink id] | [alink id="six"]Gen. VI[/alink id]
    [alink id="what"]Which should I choose?[/alink id]
    [alink id="why"]Why I chose FireRed[/alink id]​
    [a id]one[/a id]

Gen. I

Generation 1 is the first series of games that came out way back in the day and all the games were glitchy and in black and white. But, there is something really nice about hacking Gen. 1 games: the disassembly. That's right, both Red and Blue have been completely disassembled meaning you can modify anything in them (within hardware limitations), given you have the right knowledge.

Pros

• Completely disassembled! All you need is a text editor and paint.
    • You can hack on any OS
    • An active community (Skeetendo)
    • It's got that nostalgic power

Cons

• Just because it's disassembled doesn't mean it's easy.
    • You MUST know the assembly language of the Gameboy.
    • It takes a lot of practice to get good.
    • Mapping is currently very complicated.
    • There are some GBC-color projects, but the games are greyscale.

So if you're thinking about hacking of the Gen. 1 games just be aware that you've got a lot of learning to do before you can do anything amazing.
    [a id]two[/a id]

Gen. II

The Generation 2 games consist of Gold, Silver and Crystal, which were played on GBC. They were at one time much more popular with hackers than they are today. But don't let that turn you away, Gen. 2 hacking has a lively community if you look for it.

Pros

• That nostalgia factor
    • A helpful community (Skeetendo)
    • A disassembly of Crystal is in the works
    • Has a pretty simple scripting system

Cons

• You need to know hex editing
    • Assembly knowledge will become necessary eventually
    • Hacking has a bit of a learning curve
    • Older games, with 4 color sprites (which may be a plus for some)

The Gen. II games are great for both a determined beginner and experienced hackers that want a taste of what the older generations of the games were like. But, they're not for everyone.
    [a id]three[/a id]

Gen. III

I'm going to spend the most detail here, because the Generation 3 games are the most popular choices for hackers around these parts. First, some overall pros and cons, and then an in-depth look into your game choices.

Pros

• Very popular with the users
    • Lots of research has been put into GBA hacking
    • There are numerous tools available
    • The "easiest" to get into hack (though no hacking is truly easy)
    • ROMs are easily expanded
    • RTC (real time clock) code is available for all the games
    • There are some really nice ROM bases which can do a lot of work for you (we'll talk about these later)

Cons

• The games are on the GBA, so most sprites only have 16 colors
    • No 3D. Ever. It's not going to happen.

Ruby

Pros

• A beloved classic
    • Lots of wonderful hacks have been made for it before
    • There are some old but quite useful tools only for Ruby (FontEd, I'm looking at you)
    • Lots of free space available
    • The RTC
    • Berry System
    • Contests

Cons

• Those ASM masters will tell you that Ruby's coding is nightmarish
    • It has fallen out of popularity with the community, so not many experts are active anymore
    • No expanded Pokémon -- it's not doable with the way the memory is set up
    • The 12th tileset palette cannot be used unless a few hex edits are made (which are very simple)

FireRed

Pros

• The most popular within the community
    • Lots of research has been done, especially recently -- knizz has a database that completely documents all the code in the ROM
    • Nearly every tool on this site for GBA supports FireRed
    • Lots of free space
    • Coding is cleaner than Ruby
    • Expand nearly everything
    • Lots of ASM routines are available for you
    • Mega Evolution
    • Some pretty useful ROM bases
    • Support for up to 4 region maps
    • There is a nice RTC that can be inserted
    • Everyone hacks FireRed -- if you have a problem, someone else probably has too

Cons

• Everyone hacks FireRed -- if you're looking to be unique, it can be tough
    • FireRed lacks some of the exclusive features of Emerald (like tag team battles)
    • No Pokémon Contests

Emerald

Pros

• Animated Pokémon
    • Double battle trainers and tag team battles
    • All the songs of both Ruby and FireRed
    • Has been growing in popularity
    • A decent number of ASM routines are available
    • Expanded stuff (like Pokémon) is not tool-based yet, and will require some work
    • The Battle Frontier!
    • Contests!
    • RTC!
    • Fancy styled area name boxes
    • Has a smaller primary tileset and larger secondary tileset, which may be what you need

Cons

• Not much freespace compared to the others (though this can easily be fixed by expanding the ROM)
    • Some tools use the wrong data for freespace, and this cannot be fixed (which can result in music being corrupted)
    • A lot of FireRed research can be applied to Emerald, but you'll have to find offsets for it on your own

Sapphire/LeafGreen

Now, there is nothing wrong with either LeafGreen or Sapphire. In fact, they basically have the same pros and cons as FireRed and Ruby respectively. The only issue is that back when people first started this whole researching thing, FireRed and Ruby were more popular (and this has stuck). So, while the coding is nearly the same as their counterparts, LeafGreen and Sapphire have different offsets for a lot of the data. Any hacker will need to be aware of this, and may have to do some searching of their own in order to adapt ASM routines and the like.

So which of these do you pick? Right now the obvious answer may seem to be FireRed or Emerald, but really all that matters is which version appeals most to you. Selecting a less popular choice simply means you'll have more work to do for yourself.
    [a id]four[/a id]

Gen. IV

Ah, Generation 4. Its games include Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver. DS hacking has always been slowly developing over the years, but it's finally getting close to being ready for serious hacking. I just hope you have 3D modeling skills. As far as picking between the games, while HGSS has different scripting than DPPt, they both have similar principles.

Pros

• It's Gen. IV
    • 3D graphics yo
    • There have been a lot of small tools developed for it (trainer editors, Pokémon editors, etc.)
    • Theoretically, a full hack could be made
    • The DS ROM format allows for adding as much content as you want (within memory constraints)
    • Adding basic events is very doable

Cons

• DS hacking can be very complex for beginners
    • There are a lot of special data formats you'll need to learn about (for example, NARCs)
    • Mapping is very difficult and requires 3D modeling skills
    • Not many users here are skilled in this generation of hacking

So while it is possible to make a full hack, unless you're wanting to seek out help else where and do a lot of work on your own, Gen. 4 may prove to be too much for you. Not recommended for beginners.
    [a id]five[/a id]

Gen. V

While you may think Gen. V hacking must be the same as Gen. IV hacking, you are sadly mistaken. Gen. IV did more than introduce a ton of gameplay changes, it also introduced a lot of behind the scenes changes that make adapting Gen. IV tools to Gen. V very difficult.

Pros

• You would be hacking the games that are arguably the best of the series
    • There has been a very popular set of Gen. V hacks
    • Basic tools do exist
    • The same advantages the DS ROM format provides to Gen. 4.
    • Seasons

Cons

• Like with Gen. 4 hacking, there are not many Gen. 5 experts on PokéCommunity
    • Mapping is much harder than in Gen. 4 because of the new format and lack of specialized tools
    • Scripting is done by hand

So when it comes to Gen. V hacking, you'll have an even harder time than you did with Gen. IV. Not recommended for beginners.
    [a id]six[/a id]

Gen. VI

I'm just going to come out and say that most people don't even have ROMs for Generation 6 yet (let alone an emulator) so hacking knowledge (here at least) is close to nothing. You're better off not even considering Gen. 6 right now. Unless you're really hardcore. Then don't let me stop you. ^^
    [a id]which[/a id]

So Which Game Do I Chose?

The choice really comes down to what you feel most comfortable hacking. If you want to try hacking Pokémon Black, no one can stop you. In fact, I encourage it! Nothing was ever learned without trying. But, you should always consider the factors. Will you be able to accomplish everything you want? Will it be too hard to do? Will you need help but not be able to find it (a big one)? Do you have the skills needed (or the ability to learn them)? Try and keep these things and more in mind.
    [a id]why[/a id]

Why Am I (Hopeless Masquerade) Choosing FireRed!?

Well if you read the pros and cons of FireRed, you'll see that FireRed is a pretty popular and easy choice for a beginner (like a lot of you) to work with. It has a lot research, lots of tools available, and it has the support of the community (right now, support tends to come and go). FireRed may no be my first choice all the time (I like to work with LeafGreen), but since it's the most popular it's perfect for a basic hack.

Conclusion

Well, I hoped this first lesson helped give you a few ideas about what you can do with each ROM. And I hope I haven't scared you off of another! I'll see you next time, when I begin planning the hack itself. :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hacking Generation III? No problem. Here's a guide for how to choose your rom:
    Step 1) Choose Emerald.
    Demand for emerald increases >> More tools and routines are made!

Joking aside I saw no mention of FR having support for up to 6 (I think it was) region maps and Emerald having a fully functioning Battle Frontier. As far as I'm aware, this hasn't changed. But seriously, If someone has implemented multiple region maps into Emerald, then by all means, link me up, it'd come in exceptionally handy. B)

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    Hacking Generation III? No problem. Here's a guide for how to choose your rom:
    Step 1) Choose Emerald.
    Demand for emerald increases >> More tools and routines are made!

Joking aside I saw no mention of FR having support for up to 6 (I think it was) region maps and Emerald having a fully functioning Battle Frontier. As far as I'm aware, this hasn't changed. But seriously, If someone has implemented multiple region maps into Emerald, then by all means, link me up, it'd come in exceptionally handy. B)

Thanks for the points! And FireRed has support for 4 region maps. :)

Years
  • Thanks for the points! And FireRed has support for 4 region maps. :)
    No problem! Thanks for the useful and thorough thread. I felt it's worth mentioning since those are going to be the main deal-breakers for most. I'm sure there's a few other things (The berry system in Emerald has just sprung to mind) but I can't remember off the top of my head.

daniilS

busy trying to do stuff not done yet
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2024
    I quite like the idea of this hack along, and that's a nice list you've put together. However, it looks like FR and EM are lacking actual cons here. I'd say the one con of FR is not having Emerald's exclusive features (you've already listed the few major ones in EM's pro list), and the big con of EM is that you'll have to look up offsets manually for tons of tutorials/resources/routines. FR being 'too popular' or EM requiring one patch that fixes free space shouldn't really play much of a role in choosing which game to hack in my opinion. (picking R/S/LG? lol)

you better have an episode about learning ASMAGIX at some point for the glory of Arceus :b

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I would like to see a similar section for generation 1 and 2 which you've done for gen 3. As someone who is clueless about hacking those generations, I would find some insight on specific ROMs interesting. It would be cool :)

I don't quite agree with these cons for FR.
    Everyone hacks FireRed (not literally, but a lot do)
    That's not a con. It's popularity means more research on the ROM. Most likely your problems have been encountered by another hacker and, if you're lucky, documented well.

FireRed lacks some of the exclusive features of Emerald
    No Pokémon Contests
    These two are one point :P

Also the biggest "pro" point for FR is Knizz's Database. This is one of the biggest reasons I hack FR.

There's only two real choices for Generation 3 ROM hacking. Fire red and Emerald. FR > EM based on research done and features created. EM > FR for default base (except graphics imo :P ).

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    I would like to see a similar section for generation 1 and 2 which you've done for gen 3. As someone who is clueless about hacking those generations, I would find some insight on specific ROMs interesting. It would be cool :)

I don't quite agree with these cons for FR.

That's not a con. It's popularity means more research on the ROM. Most likely your problems have been encountered by another hacker and, if you're lucky, documented well.

These two are one point :P

Also the biggest "pro" point for FR is Knizz's Database. This is one of the biggest reasons I hack FR.

There's only two real choices for Generation 3 ROM hacking. Fire red and Emerald. FR > EM based on research done and features created. EM > FR for default base (except graphics imo :P ).

You bring up some good points. The popularity is both a pro and a con, depending on the situation. :) And I wanted to keep separate the point about contests because Ruby and Sapphire have contests as well.
    As for the specifics about RBY and GSC, I'll gladly add that! :D

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • This is a good idea and definitely something I'll be paying attention to now that I want to get into hacking. Can't wait for the later steps.
    I can see what you mean about its popularity being a con. Like making an AMV with a Linkin Park song.
    As someone who is completely new to hacking, I'm wondering what kind of details you're going to include when it comes to each tool? In-depth step-by-step with graphics (sort of a tutorial on that tool itself within the hacking tut) or simply covering the essentials that we're going to be using in the hack-along as we...hack along?

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    This is a good idea and definitely something I'll be paying attention to now that I want to get into hacking. Can't wait for the later steps.
    I can see what you mean about its popularity being a con. Like making an AMV with a Linkin Park song.
    As someone who is completely new to hacking, I'm wondering what kind of details you're going to include when it comes to each tool? In-depth step-by-step with graphics (sort of a tutorial on that tool itself within the hacking tut) or simply covering the essentials that we're going to be using in the hack-along as we...hack along?

It's great to hear you're interested! And the steps are essentially going to be me walking you through the actual making of a simple hack. This means that (with graphics and/or videos) I will cover as many topics as are needed when they come up within a step. For example, if I were to discuss designing a basic route I may include how to create a basic trainer, from editing the trainer's party to writing their script. Each step will cover more advanced topics than the last (roughly), so you'll be able to see the game grow with each step. Of course, if a more advanced topic has come up that may be better than what was previously introduced, some steps may entail updating things that were once okay earlier on. An example might be updating how the Professor gives you a Pokémon once we know more about scripting. Also, a patch will be included after each lesson so you can review what I've done so far (because not every little detail will be covered as we get more advanced).

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
  • Very nice guide! It is detailed and has very good tips for beginning ROM hackers or people who are confused/doubting what they should use as the ROM base.

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • This looks like a great help for all beginners but I have some things to say about your Pros/Cons of Emerald:

Emerald

Pros
    Animated Pokémon
    Double battle trainers and tag team battles
    All the songs of both Ruby and FireRed
    Has been growing in popularity
    A decent number of ASM routines are available
    Expanded stuff (if you want to work for it)
    The Battle Frontier!
    Contests!
    RTC!

Cons
    Not much freespace compared to the others (though this can be fixed by expanding the ROM)
    Some tools use the wrong data for freespace, and this cannot be fixed (which can result in music being corrupted)
    You'll have to be ready to search for offsets for tutorials/resources/routines on you own

So for the cons ... I don't see how expanding the ROM is really a con. It's really more of using an UPS patcher. It's a simple two-click process to change your ROM to 32mb and have all the space you need but a lot of new people or people who are used to playing 16mb hacks don't seem to grasp how to patch UPS games... even if you provide the tool and patch. This in itself shouldn't be a con for Emerald since it's a user fault for not knowing how the program works.

Sure some tools use the wrong freespace ... but chances are you're trying to use a tool for other GEN3 versions. Like you said, there are tools for FR because a lot of people hack it however the numbers for hacking EM are rising and demand is too. Tools have been created and research has been done by a few that matter and I'd say the only disadvantage between tools at this time is really only of one: EM does not yet possess the ability to expand the number of OWs and associated palettes like JPAN's tool. With that we have other abilities like unlimited and changeable tag team battles with touched's tool.

To add to the little parathesis statement of music corruption, that is no more. I've figured out and fixed the sound corruption which stems around the same area. For those that have had sound corruption that I know of, their problems no longer exist because of my research. And it's as simple as going to an offset and replacing four bytes.

"You'll have to be ready to search for offsets for tutorials/resources/routines on you own"
    ...What. You'll do this for any GEN3 version ... even FR. freespacefinder works on all versions and I use it all the time. If you expand your ROM to have more space, you just edit the fsf section for search from offset to offset 0xFFFFFF and it'll give you the first available space after it. So I don't see where you're getting the info that we have to manually dig into our ROMs for offsets? Not to be rude, but it seems you're basing everything off what you've seen rather than what you've done and it looks like FR is the only thing you've hacked by your selectiveness for it.

When it comes to Pros ... First off, "Expanded stuff (if you want to work for it)" needs to be removed. You make it sound like it's the hardest thing ever to expand and work with it with that biased parenthesis statement. In case you don't know how easy it is, I can expand it in the same amount of time you say it's hard to do:
    Spoiler:

Not to mention, any GEN3 version can expand their ROMs, even FR. So expanded space is really just a feature for all versions but EM it is the most recommended.

RTC is a pro, yes but FR and LG both have the capability to insert a RTC from JPAN's tool. You'll have to work harder to insert it, but it is an available feature for those two versions as well.

Some more features just to name some: Styled map name boxes on entry ... they aren't simple boxes like in FR and can be customized to have whatever look you'd like and you can do as many as you want.
    The most IMPORTANT pro you have forgotten (at least most important to me as it is namely the reason I use EM over FR) is the size of tilesets in EM. EM tileset 1 images are bigger, which allow for more tiles per tileset. This has allowed me enough room to insert five different buildings on top of decorative details for towns. Here is proof on the parameters:
    anKTu.jpg

While the sizing of the two eventually equal out, GameFreak realized that a bigger Tileset 1 meant for more possibilities per map. If you have a bigger Tileset 0 then that big tileset will carry over every map and won't allow for more customizations per map to include the seven palettes you can edit with as opposed to the 5 basic palettes you'll need for water, trees, mountains, sand, etc. In FireRed on top of that, you only get six palettes to work with as opposed to the 6 main palettes for Tileset 0. In the end you have more possibilities for tiles and colors from EM than you do FR. This should service as a CON for FR rather than a Pro for EM since Ruby and Sapphire have the same capabilities except Ruby and Sapphire, by default, can not use the Palette 12 for customization without an ASM that has been established to allow the use of it, thus making the tile capabilities of Ruby and Sapphire the same as EM.

Good on ya' for doing this for the community, but I think you should've researched a little bit better on the pros and cons. Keep up the good work. I have some more pros for EM but I have not personally confirmed them with FR yet and when I do, I'll update here.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen Feb 26, 2024
    So for the cons ... I don't see how expanding the ROM is really a con. It's really more of using an UPS patcher. It's a simple two-click process to change your ROM to 32mb and have all the space you need but a lot of new people or people who are used to playing 16mb hacks don't seem to grasp how to patch UPS games... even if you provide the tool and patch. This in itself shouldn't be a con for Emerald since it's a user fault for not knowing how the program works.

I'm trying to look at the Pros/Cons from a beginner's perspective. For a beginner, expanding a ROM may be a concept they are not comfortable with. As such, it is a con. Just because you find the process easy does not mean that every other hacker has/will. But really all the Pros/Cons are at least somewhat subjective, and it is up to the reader to decide whether a pro or a con will be a plus or an issue for them.

Sure some tools use the wrong freespace ... but chances are you're trying to use a tool for other GEN3 versions. Like you said, there are tools for FR because a lot of people hack it however the numbers for hacking EM are rising and demand is too. Tools have been created and research has been done by a few that matter and I'd say the only disadvantage between tools at this time is really only of one: EM does not yet possess the ability to expand the number of OWs and associated palettes like JPAN's tool. With that we have other abilities like unlimited and changeable tag team battles with touched's tool.

Yeah, I've already mentioned things like tag battles.

To add to the little parathesis statement of music corruption, that is no more. I've figured out and fixed the sound corruption which stems around the same area. For those that have had sound corruption that I know of, their problems no longer exist because of my research. And it's as simple as going to an offset and replacing four bytes.

Well then, if you've shared the knowledge for everyone and can provide a link, I see no problem removing it from the list of Cons.

"You'll have to be ready to search for offsets for tutorials/resources/routines on you own"
    ...What. You'll do this for any GEN3 version ... even FR. freespacefinder works on all versions and I use it all the time. If you expand your ROM to have more space, you just edit the fsf section for search from offset to offset 0xFFFFFF and it'll give you the first available space after it. So I don't see where you're getting the info that we have to manually dig into our ROMs for offsets? Not to be rude, but it seems you're basing everything off what you've seen rather than what you've done and it looks like FR is the only thing you've hacked by your selectiveness for it.

Ahaha, no. I've tried hacking all five generations, and programmed tools for four of them. Within in generation 3 I've worked with all 5 of the games. I know what I'm talking about. As for where I got that Con, danillS posted it a few posts above. And he's right. Because a lot of FireRed research can be transferred over to Emerald, but a user should be prepared to do some digging to find the necessary offsets first.

When it comes to Pros ... First off, "Expanded stuff (if you want to work for it)" needs to be removed. You make it sound like it's the hardest thing ever to expand and work with it with that biased parenthesis statement. In case you don't know how easy it is, I can expand it in the same amount of time you say it's hard to do:
    Spoiler:

Not to mention, any GEN3 version can expand their ROMs, even FR. So expanded space is really just a feature for all versions but EM it is the most recommended.

I'm not talking about expanding the ROM, buddy. ;) I'm talking about expanding the Pokémon, the moves, etc. By working for it, I mean that you'll need to do a lot of it manually unlike with FireRed, which has some expanders coded for it already.

RTC is a pro, yes but FR and LG both have the capability to insert a RTC from JPAN's tool. You'll have to work harder to insert it, but it is an available feature for those two versions as well.

Well, I thought I had put up a point about the RTC for FireRed. I looks like I forgot. And JPAN never wrote an RTC for FR/LG. interdpth and ZodiacDaGreat did.

Some more features just to name some: Styled map name boxes on entry ... they aren't simple boxes like in FR and can be customized to have whatever look you'd like and you can do as many as you want.

That's actually a good point you bring up here.

The most IMPORTANT pro you have forgotten (at least most important to me as it is namely the reason I use EM over FR) is the size of tilesets in EM. EM tileset 1 images are bigger, which allow for more tiles per tileset. This has allowed me enough room to insert five different buildings on top of decorative details for towns. Here is proof on the parameters:
    anKTu.jpg

While the sizing of the two eventually equal out, GameFreak realized that a bigger Tileset 1 meant for more possibilities per map. If you have a bigger Tileset 0 then that big tileset will carry over every map and won't allow for more customizations per map to include the seven palettes you can edit with as opposed to the 5 basic palettes you'll need for water, trees, mountains, sand, etc. In FireRed on top of that, you only get six palettes to work with as opposed to the 6 main palettes for Tileset 0. In the end you have more possibilities for tiles and colors from EM than you do FR. This should service as a CON for FR rather than a Pro for EM since Ruby and Sapphire have the same capabilities except Ruby and Sapphire, by default, can not use the Palette 12 for customization without an ASM that has been established to allow the use of it, thus making the tile capabilities of Ruby and Sapphire the same as EM.

This is really the most subjective point you've brought up, but it is worth mentioning. The tileset size changes aren't necessarily "better", but do put a larger focus on the secondary tileset in Emerald. It changes out how you plan your tilesets. But the palette 12 thing is definitely worth mentioning.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • Also the biggest "pro" point for FR is Knizz's Database. This is one of the biggest reasons I hack FR.

Dont forget we have Touched's database for Emerald too!

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
    Years
  • Well then, if you've shared the knowledge for everyone and can provide a link, I see no problem removing it from the list of Cons.

Gladly ... http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=8734743&postcount=677

Ahaha, no. I've tried hacking all five generations, and programmed tools for four of them. Within in generation 3 I've worked with all 5 of the games. I know what I'm talking about. As for where I got that Con, danillS posted it a few posts above. And he's right. Because a lot of FireRed research can be transferred over to Emerald, but a user should be prepared to do some digging to find the necessary offsets first.

Maybe it's just me but when I look at any tutorial or resource aimed for Emerald, I find the offsets listed in the tutorial. If not, EM has a handy dandy resource of all the compressed images (haven't found this around the site though):
    Spoiler:

I agree not all offsets needed are going to be images ... they'll be tables and what not but they are posted. They are in .ini files also.I just think that the con is exaggerated when there is a lot of research going into it

But the palette 12 thing is definitely worth mentioning.

It isn't though, is what I'm saying. You've seen it with your own eyes. The answer lies in this thread. "change the byte at '0x056d62' from '0xc0' to '0xe0'."

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Jul 20, 2019
    So if I want to dowload emerald, where would I find the [english US] "Emerald" ROM? And will it work with a VBA type thing on a computer? Let me know if any of you find something. Thanks!

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • So if I want to dowload emerald, where would I find the [english US] "Emerald" ROM? And will it work with a VBA type thing on a computer? Let me know if any of you find something. Thanks!
    Google. We cannot post ROMs of the games because it is technically piracy. Yes, it will work with VBA.

Last edited:
    Back