• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Passion

Years
  • Is it possible to develop passion in an area one has no particular interest in? If so, then how about the maintenance of such passion - the motivation so to speak. How easy is it to cultivate and maintain?

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • Weird question. Passion is just constant motivation. If you're never motivated to do something, or you constantly struggle to become motivated to do something, you're not passionate about it.

Can you become passionate about something you're not passionate about? Sure. You can try it and maybe you'll love it. But you can't force it.

You can't 'maintain' a passion, so to speak. That doesn't really make any sense, since it implies you don't get enough motivation simply from the enjoyment of doing the thing in the first place, which is what it means to be passionate.

I'll give an example. I don't really care for FPS games. Could I become passionate about FPS games? Sure, maybe. I could start playing them more and maybe I'd develop a passion. But could I force myself to become passionate about them? No, passion is an emotion, I can't force myself to feel an emotion and the question makes me wonder if you're confusing passion with motivation. But if I did become passionate about FPS games, I wouldn't need to maintain that passion, I would just keep playing simply because I like it.

Years
  • If it is possible then someone teach me how.

Personally, from observing people who seem more and less passionate, it seems to be something that some people have and some people don't. Some people can develop passions for things and maintain them and some people can, at best, have brief infatuations that burn out like fads.

pkmin3033

I think it's possible, but you have to put aside your preconceptions of whatever it is and approach it with a fresh and open mind. Alright, so at first glance it isn't very appealing, but have you really looked at all of it? All you really need to do is find one thing about it that you like, and focus on getting as much enjoyment out of that as you can. Once you've found something you like about it, it's not so difficult to isolate something else, and then something else, and so on. Before you know it, it's not quite so tedious anymore.

It's also a lot easier if you have someone to share it with. You can talk to them about it and develop your interest in it with them, making it easier to sustain an interest in it. It doesn't even have to be someone you're close to, just someone you can stand to talk to. I think this is especially true of jobs where the work can be especially monotonous sometimes, and the environment in which you're doing the thing can make it very enjoyable. As an example, I absolutely loathed working in my local Tesco Express, as I was standing on tills from 6am to around 2pm. But I got to know a lot of regular customers and it made the job that much more bearable...I wouldn't say I ever had a passion for it, but it's just an example of how environment can make things tolerable, even if you have no interest in the area.

Maybe you're setting your sights too high, too. If it's something you don't enjoy, start with just tolerating it and taking pleasure in the small moments of satisfaction you get from doing it before you start trying to actively enjoy it - in the long run satisfaction is far easier to maintain and cultivate than passion, because it's on a smaller scale and isn't wholly dependant on your mood. Even the things I'm most passionate about I get no pleasure from if I'm not in the mood for them, but satisfaction is easy to achieve if I set realistic goals and targets for myself.

Most areas are pretty broad, and if you want to cultivate and maintain passion in it, try narrowing it down first and finding the things you like about it. Maybe it doesn't work for everything, but I'd say it depends on your mindset...and yeah, some people have the ability to adopt that mindset, and others don't. Maybe start by asking yourself why you want to bother in the first place if it's that unappealing. xD

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • I have no interest in some things that I do academically or work-wise, but I seem to be passionate enough. That's because in these cases, I recognise that I have chosen the things that I like more as compared to other choices, then the motivation shall follow.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    Passion isn't something you learn, you just develop it. Some things you're passionate about and other things you are not

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Passion, to me, is the love and desire to do something regardless of how bad you are. The desire to keep moving forward and improve. Passion is developed over time, and can only be developed due to a prior interest. I think it would be incredibly difficult to love something you have no interest in, and so therefore I doubt you can be passionate about something you have no interest in. Passion is dependent on interest.

Passion naturally maintains itself until you have a reason to lose interest or stop loving what you're passionate about.

Back