• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Game mechanics you cannot live without

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    Early game fast travel / Fly. Useful for regions that are massive / have large wild areas that you have to walk through.

Years
  • - rematching gym leaders/e4 (or whatever end/post-game equivalent) as a feature spoiled me and is one of those things that, while not an absolute must, will affect my enjoyment in a pokemon game if it doesn't have it.
    - HMs can stay gone, i have zero interest in teaching my pokemon any mandatory moves.
    - infinite TM usage was great, but i can live with, at the very least, a way to have multiple of a TM at bare minimum. at any case, "you use this one and you lose it forever"-esque thing that was present in past pokemon games is one thing i feel i can't go back to
    - character customization because id like my character to look less boring

those are what come to mind for me atm

Years
  • -Gen 8's box access from everywhere.

-Gen 8's Exp Candy's. The Exp Candy XL is so busted lol
    I literally had multiple hundreds for all the other types and like 80 XL Candy's thanks to all the raids I did. Rare Candy's are still good, but imo only for the last levels, like level 90-100. Before that the Exp Candy XL is just unrivaled.

-Generation 8's breeding mechanics. Being able to breed together HA's and special Poke Balls =3
    Especially love the empty move slot breeding.
    The other day I learned you can apparently stick two mons of the same gender in there and even though they won't lay an egg and you don't have any indicator whatsoever, they will eventually pass on their egg moves to each other if they have an empty move slot. Good for them =3
    I really needed this for Volbeat in BDSP as otherwise you can only get 3 egg moves onto it maximum, despite it having 5 egg move options.

After SwSh I did some minor breeding in ORAS. I really wished I had the gen 8 mechanics while I was doing that xD

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • -The permanent, party-wide XP share, simply because it incentivizes me to use different Pokémon throughout my journey
    -QoL changes that make competitive Pokémon more accessible, like nature mints, Hyper Training, and parents learning egg moves
    -The lack of HMs
    -The physical-special split
    -Breeding as a whole because it's fun; by extension, the Masuda method
    -The option to change the battle music for link battles and battle facilities

forg

ba-dum tssss. [icon]coffee-pot[/icon]
    Years
  • It had been mentioned already, but I would be unable to make it too far into the game if, in a baffling move, they removed running.

Can't really explain why getting rid of the running mechanic yet keeping bikes and such isn't enough for me. I want to see my pixelated self run and pretend they're feeling the wind in their hair and clothes billow up.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Quick Balls are far too convenient to pass up, and while their lack of presence in Gen 3 doesn't make those games unplayable, my Boxes would definitely be much more populated if I had access to Quick Balls

EV Training without having any access to Hyper Training would also be largely undesirable, as would not having an easy way to track how many EVs Pokémon have in each stat

Last edited:
    Back